Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How was your upgrade?

• Total voters

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Video drivers are NOT working with mac pro 13. Do not upgrade! Just wasted an hour on nothing.

FFS AMD/Apple release it already

yep same here :( AMD's windows 10 drivers say "no compatible hardware found" and no matter what I do I'm stuck with microsoft basic display drivers

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
Actually this is the first time I'm boot camping Windows on my mac. I've installed the windows and I was trying to install the drivers but I'm getting this error while running the Bootcamp setup. Any workaround?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    143.3 KB · Views: 252

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
The upgrade was installing fine, and I left it alone this morning when I went to sleep (I work nights). Woke up this afternoon several hours later and the monitor was asleep. So I jiggled the mouse, nothing. Tapped keys on the keyboard, nothing. Rebooted the computer, nothing.

I get a black screen and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I even changed HDMI's from my graphics card to the integrated graphics port on my PC. Nothing.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The upgrade was installing fine, and I left it alone this morning when I went to sleep (I work nights). Woke up this afternoon several hours later and the monitor was asleep. So I jiggled the mouse, nothing. Tapped keys on the keyboard, nothing. Rebooted the computer, nothing.

I get a black screen and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I even changed HDMI's from my graphics card to the integrated graphics port on my PC. Nothing.

If this continues hold down F8 during boot. Choose to repair the installation.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008

I work nights too. Came home and turned on my HTPC (legit PC on 8.1). It's been on all day and it still says that it will let me know when it's ready for the upgrade.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
One thing I must say is that Apple is much better at upgrades than Microsoft. Granted, Microsoft has never really had much experience in this kind of "ultimate free OS upgrade" thing in the past, but the issues I've had are just ridiculous. I haven't used OS X since I sold my Macs and went back to Windows, but I must give Apple credit here.

The Windows Update process for pushing out the free upgrade was really poor for me. First it says I'm ready to upgrade, then it says "preparing for installation", then it claims that I cancelled the upgrade; it then appeared to have forgotten that it downloaded the upgrade ready (with no mention of it in Windows Update), despite the fact that I can clearly see the full hidden folder where it downloaded to.

I just gave up and am using the ISOs from the Microsoft website. I'm hoping it will still work that way. Other people have reported no issues with this method. I hope there will be no license issues using the ISOs.

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2010
The vote is missing "It boots but has issues". 2013 Mac Pro D700 video drivers aren't working (Code 43 in Device Manager).

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
It works great for me. Mid-2012 retina MBP, originally on Windows 8.1 Bootcamp. I downloaded Microsoft's Windows 10 installer directly from MS and chose "Upgrade this computer", everything after that was smooth and painless.

I have to say, Microsoft's really nailed Windows 10. I love their new UI design direction, especially the new browser Edge, the Start menu and Cortana. I wish Apple had given us access to Siri on Macs :(

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
I upgraded my HTPC to 10 and it went smooth. Up and running in 45 minutes. Everything seems to be working so far.

I haven't upgraded the 8.1 bootcamp install on my mid 2014 yet. I want to make sure that Masterdom and SolidWorks will work in 10 before I do the upgrade.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Can anyone tell me how to know if your computer will even run Windows 10? I have a 5 year old HP, wher to check if my specs are good enough?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Running a genuine W7 x64 Ultimate on my iMac (bootcamp) and I'm getting Windows Update errors relating to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (code 80240020) every time Windows Update checks for updates. FWIW, there are numerous others reporting the same thing on MSFT support forums.

HBbhuqf-DOBpJ6uBs0_r41L2K1hS5ZGXqwUz0EmcRC8=w952-h558-no

In the Get Windows 10 app, it shows my PC as ready (no errors or incompatibilities for neither hardware nor software) and it just gives me the option to get notified when it's ready.

nlRR78wrTzI4ZWoCGa7yNuyH7qaJ7p-ylNsDrzWAdqg=w816-h530-no

But I guess it's already downloaded the W10 install files because when I run Disk Cleanup (for system files) there's now an entry there for Temporary windows installation files that's 6GB in size. Maybe MSFT doesn't think it's my turn yet :(

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Running a genuine W7 x64 Ultimate on my iMac (bootcamp) and I'm getting Windows Update errors relating to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (code 80240020) every time Windows Update checks for updates. FWIW, there are numerous others reporting the same thing on MSFT support forums.

HBbhuqf-DOBpJ6uBs0_r41L2K1hS5ZGXqwUz0EmcRC8=w952-h558-no

In the Get Windows 10 app, it shows my PC as ready (no errors or incompatibilities for neither hardware nor software) and it just gives me the option to get notified when it's ready.

nlRR78wrTzI4ZWoCGa7yNuyH7qaJ7p-ylNsDrzWAdqg=w816-h530-no

But I guess it's already downloaded the W10 install files because when I run Disk Cleanup (for system files) there's now an entry there for Temporary windows installation files that's 6GB in size. Maybe MSFT doesn't think it's my turn yet :(
Just use the direct download links in this thread.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
I'm still waiting for the Windows 10 upgrade to roll my way, I've already signed up for it and all, but I'm in no super hurry. It will arrive when it will arrive.

A Windows update is never late, young Baggins.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Just go to Microsoft's web site and download the installer. That's what I wound up doing when the upgrade app said my MacBook wasn't compatible because the Parallels display driver hadn't been updated.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Just use the direct download links in this thread.

Just go to Microsoft's web site and download the installer. That's what I wound up doing when the upgrade app said my MacBook wasn't compatible because the Parallels display driver hadn't been updated.
Thanks, I'll try that if nothing happens by tomorrow. Out of curiosity, during install do I need a Windows 10 key (I don't have one) or will my Windows 7 key do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.