Windows 7 Broke my Mac Pro!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Wayrath, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Wayrath macrumors newbie

Help!

I have a first gen mac pro with the 8800gt upgrade kit. I use Dual monitors.

I installed Windows 7 32-bit and the bootcamp drivers that are compatible. Everything was fine until I started playing a game and the machine hard froze and rebooted, after that I got graphic distortion during the windows loading screen and then a BSOD saying it couldn't reload the graphics driver.

I tried rolling back the system etc. etc. etc. Then I gave up and decided to just reload Windows 7. Here's when I started panicking: I booted from the Windows 7 disc and it had the same graphic distortion (many blue horizontal lines) during the loading screen (from disc). Meaning (to me), that it is an issue not just in the OS, but with the card itself.

I then tried to boot to the Mac side (10.5.7). It boots up fine, but video only appears on the second monitor no matter what I try. I can tell its fully booted because I can file share with the tower from my macbook pro.

Anyone have any tips? Any way to flash the original mac bios back on the card? Or is it just time to get another card...

I saw in another forum that its possible the trouble started with a windows 7 auto update. Someone else with a PC said the same thing happened to them.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long winded explanation.

Ian
    Mac Repair in Boulder, Co: http://www.paramitamacrepair.com/

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

This is one of the reasons i will never install windows on any of my Macs.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try resetting the PRAM.

Hold down cmd-opt-P-R on startup. Continue holding them down until you hear the second startup chime.

You probably already tried, but just in case: There's a manual "Detect Displays" button in the menu bar status or the System Pref Pane.

4. Wayrath thread starter macrumors newbie

No kidding. Didn't expect it to break hardware though just through a windows 7 update... Thanks Microsoft...

PRAM reset was the first thing I tried, even did an SMC reset. No luck :(.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Windows 7 Broke my Mac Pro!!!

No it didn't. Win 7 is fine, something else in your setup is perfluggid.

6. Wayrath thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Send it to Apple? You didn't do anything to void your warranty. ;)

8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Windows 7 didn't do anything. Your hardware failed and you coincidentally were using windows 7. If anything the windows drivers for the nvidia cards are more stable than their mac counterparts.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Guessing you might know a little about how to fix Macs -speaking to Apple sounds a good plan :)

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry couldn't resist. Teh Ballmer eating away Leopard

Attached Files:

11. xwinger macrumors member

reminds me of the time when vista gave my macbook bsod on the 3rd day i had it. :(

12. Wayrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Update. So I replaced the video card and it's still doing the same thing. Tried removing all the RAM/extra drives/external drives/ booted from an external hard drive. No changes. Normally I'd just say it's a logic board and be done with it, but what's strange is that it fully boots into OS X as I can connect to it from a laptop.