Windows 7 is a threat to Apple's market share

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petvas, Mar 28, 2009.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I migrated from the PC world three years ago, disappointed from Microsoft and of course, Vista. (how original!)
    I was impressed by Apple's products and Mac OS X. I bought all possible computers (Mac Pro, iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro - you name it I had it).

Three years after I decided to test Windows 7 on my Mac Pro. I was very impressed. Everything works much more smoothly than any OS currently out. At first I thought that the new taskbar would be a copy of the dock, but I have to say that the new taskbar makes using the computer much easier. I am more productive, there is no windows clutter, the speed is amazing and the stability phenomenal for a beta OS.

I am a Microsoft IT Consultant, my work has always been around Exchange Server and Windows Server. I am used to using Outlook. I never found a suitable alternative for the Mac. Entourage isn't that good...

After a lot of thought I decided to go back to Microsoft. I changed my default OS to Windows 7 and have a dual boot system (Mac OS X - Windows 7).
    The last 10 days I haven't gone back to Mac. I don't miss it....
    I enjoy using all my favorite programs for Windows and the knowledge that for whatever I want there will be a Windows version, makes everything much easier for me. I migrated from Mac to Windows and I don't think I am going back...
    I am a power user and I do not mind configuring everything to work for me..I do not like having someone dictating me what my computer should do...
    My only fear in migrating back to Windows was finding an iPhoto equivalent. I found Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 which is by far the best Photo Management Software out there.
    I enjoy using my Mac Pro in Windows! The speed is amazing...

I will install Snow Leopard when the time comes and if it is better then I will consider migrating back to Mac, but I have to say that the chances aren't that good. I came to the realization that the important thing when choosing an OS is using the applications I want to have or even need. Outlook is first on my list...
    I do not want to start a war here. I like Apple and its products, I have two iPods, I had the iPhone and I am preparing for the new revision...
    I am interested to see how others think about going back to Microsoft. I am sure there are many like me, having migrated to Mac because of Vista. Windows 7 is soon going to be a reality which we cannot ignore.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nice you like 7. i mighr very well be doing the same as i like to build my own hardware

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

Just because one person switched to Windows from Mac, doesn't mean that it's a "threat to Apple's market share." Have fun with Windows 7, I'll have fun on Leopard.

4. Ploki macrumors 68000

*snow leopard

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I will say it could slow down Apple's recent marketshare gains; but I don't think Apple will lose anything.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I disagree. Part of the appeal of the Mac over the last few years has been the poor reputation of Vista. If Windows 7 can mitigate that, it may well spell a swing in the other direction. Its early days still and we really haven't seen what SL is capable of so I'm hesitant to say it will be an exodus but W7 may well stop Apple's advancing market share. Shouldn't really matter as Apple has long had a much smaller market share and still managed to give us great software.

7. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Apple has managed to position itself very good for the next years. The penetration of the iPhone on the market makes people start looking on the shiny hardware that Apple produces. Mac OS X is also a great OS and I can see Apple winning a lot of customers in the future. What I originally said is that people who migrated to Apple because of Vista will be tempted to go back to Windows, thus causing a decrease in the market share of Apple.
    Windows 7 is really a great OS...

8. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I'm sure I'll enjoy running Windows 7 on my Mac.

I really don't have a problem with Vista, though.

9. Temptations macrumors newbie

I plan to use Windows 7 when I get around to upgrading my PC. I need more RAM and update some other parts to make it work more effectively though. I am glad to hear that you like it as I never got to use the beta.

10. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Just curious, have you tried VMware Fusion?

I'm using VMware, running Windows XP Pro and Win 2003 Server in virtual machines. It sure makes development a lot easier for me. It's very easy to keep backups of the virtual machines. I also keep a snapshot of the original virtual images.

My past experience with Win development is that about once a year, something gets hosed. Registry, incompatible beta s/w, bad third party widgets, or a similar issue used to cause me to reinstall the entire system. That takes quite a while with Windows, Visual Studio, Office, SQL, etc.

Now when that happens, I just copy the virtual machine snapshot and load the source code and database backups. A maddening chore that used to take a day or two now takes less than an hour.

It's also easier for testing, you can have several different VMs setup with different versions of IE, Office, etc. - just copy the snapshot, install your test application, and test away. Think of the virtual machines as sandboxes for development, testing, production staging, etc.

VMware lets you configure how many virtual processors and how much memory you want to use. On my MacPro, I have 2003 Server setup with 4 processors and 4 gb of ram, it runs very well, even in large Visual Studio builds. I can run several virtual machines at once, IIS and SQL in one VM, IE in another, etc. You can also drag and drop files between OS X and Windows.

I prefer to do all of my other applications in OS X. I just use Mail, Address Book, iCal, iLife, iWork, and the Adobe CS 4 Suite on the Mac. I'm also doing Mac development. So this way I get the best of both worlds. :)

11. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, I have been using VMWare Fusion but there were days where I used the VM more than the Mac OS! At the end of the day I also believe that I got bored of Leopard, I am not sure about that.
    Windows 7 is really everything Vista wanted to be. I was always a Microsoft expert and having a computer the last three years with no MS OS on it, wasn't very good for me as I felt that my skills weren't put to use..I learned Mac OS X but I will never be as good as I am in Windows. I am a Microsoft certified professional and I am very close to the company.
    I have been testing Windows 7 the last two weeks and I am really impressed. I like the interface more than Leopard, so I don't see any reason for me not to switch to Windows again...

12. kolax macrumors G3

I never bought a Mac because of XP or the poor introduction of Vista. I bought a Mac because I liked the way Apple thought an OS should be; not because I think it is better than Windows, but because I think it is easier to be productive. The layout, the keyboard commands, expose etc.

Course, not having to deal with the usual Windows antics did kind of help me switch, but even if Windows 7 is astounding, it is still the Windows way. I prefer the Mac way.

13. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

There is no perfect OS. It will always be a big race and MS will compete with Apple. At least for the next 10 years.

What I hated on my Mac is that I couldn't play big mts and mkv files without issues. VLC on Mac is bad and going back and forth in a big m2ts formatted movie wasn't really possible. On Windows playback is really great. I open m2ts files that are 15GB big and PowerDVD opens them in seconds. Going forward or backwards is also no problem...
    There are things that annoyed me on Leopard, things that I couldn't change.

14. kolax macrumors G3

I've never had a problem with VLC playing .mkv files - make sure you have the latest version. VLC on the Mac is fine, and very stable.

And I wouldn't say these are "Leopard" issues - PowerDVD isn't Microsoft software, so you can't say Windows is better in that sense.

Unless the point you are making is there is more developers/applications on Windows...?

15. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I would never say that an OS is better because a specific application runs on it. All I am saying is that on Windows there is more choice of software which eventually leads to better quality.
    On the VLC issue, yes, I was running the latest version. MKV files do play ok, but not as they should (Windows Media Player supports mkv files on Windows 7). M2TS files is the real problem.

16. kolax macrumors G3

Not as they should? Elaborate...

I've not had any issues with M2TS files either.

17. trip1ex macrumors 68000

18. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Open a 10GB m2ts file and try using the fast forward controls. It works but not fast enough. it is just slow and many times the video stops, or the player stops responding while at the same time it uses all CPUs...
    Now, try doing the same with a good movie playback software on Windows. Much better

19. kolax macrumors G3

So you are comparing VLC on the Mac which streams video (hence the fast forward/remind) issues, to "good movie" playback software on Windows..?

20. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I am comparing a functionality. On Windows I can use software for correct playback of m2ts files, on Mac I can't. It doesn't mean that because of that a Mac isn't good.
    We have an OS to run software. If the software we need doesn't exist or is bad, then what is the point?

21. kolax macrumors G3

I'm saying it appears you haven't researched - what other alternatives on the Mac have you tried to playback these files? Tried MPlayer?

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Windows 7 is newer... 2 years newer than Leopard.

23. Devan macrumors newbie

Personally the only thing that makes Microsoft Windows a turn on for me is that there is more software available for it. Thats it.

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

This game is over.

Speed
    Stability
    Functionality

That's what an OS is supposed to have.

I think you spoke volumes with the comment about Outlook. If you need Outlook support then Windows 7 is as Native as you can go.

I'm not sure how much marketshare Apple will seed to Win 7 because they have Snow Leopard coming and on Intel Macs it's going to have a lot of polish and improvements as well. I think both OS are improving as they should.

But let me point out one thing that really should be in this discussion.

The OS Wars were over years ago.

Seriously it really doesn't matter if you're Mac or PC. The real batter right now is for the portable market.

Do people realize that the iPod Touch and the iPhone represent 30 million OS X based devices? These devices also generate $$$$$$ via the app store.

Folks the desktop OS battle is over. Apple's focus is generating billions from the portable lineup and they aren't neglecting the desktop/laptop lineup but it's just not their only source of heavy profits.

We're seeing the development of the iPhone deliver features that migrate over to desktop OS line (like location aware services , Quicktime X and Cocoa Touch)

So I don't really see Apple losing appreciable marketshare or rather enough that the iPhone/iPod Touch revenue/profit machine won't mask.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I like to buy my computers (because I do use Macs :p), but I'd consider the same if W7 is better.

Personally, I think it's silly to show loyalty to a corporation, and so I won't. I want 2 things:

1. Decent hardware, and faster isn't always better. It should also be small and light.
    2. A great OS.

To me, the OS is the most important part of the computer, and if W7 is just as good (or better) than Snow Leopard, and I also get the additional benefit of being able to buy a laptop with the specs I want (and the 2 laptops I want on the PC side don't have a Mac equivalent, then there's no reason to stay with Apple. It would be blind loyalty, and I hope I'm not like that.