Windows 7 is amazing.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by elmancho, Sep 13, 2009.

1. elmancho macrumors 6502

elmancho

Hey I just wanted to say that I got windows 7 a few days ago and its amazing if it wasnt for mail ical and photoshop I would be a switcher.
    OMG Did I really say this ?
    There goes the apple fan boy.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Can you not use Outlook for your mail/calendar needs?

And photoshop is on both Operating Systems...:confused:

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Because:
    iCal is better than the calendar in Outlook.
    I don't think he wants to pay another $200 (if he's lucky) for a Windows version.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, I realize that, but if you like Windows 7 that much, you'd most likely sacrifice a good calendar, for a decent calendar.....

And I guess you're right about Photoshop..

5. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

I think a calendar would be the least of the sacrifices wouldn't it?:apple:

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And I never had Photoshop under Windows manage memory that well. When I used it in a production environment I always had to restart in the middle of a project. I guess it never freed up the RAM from closing documents.

7. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

How dare you speak of Windows 7 in these forums :rolleyes::p:D

8. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Like nearly everyone else, I was a beta tester for Windows 7 and I'm also impressed with how much better this version is from Vista. In fact, Redmond is getting so good at copying Cupertino and adding a few of their own innovations that I fear the growing ranks of Apple users may come to an end after 10/22.

Someone please talk me down!

9. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I grudingly half agree -- with the part about 7 being amazing, but not with the part about jumping ship. :D

I had Vista via Boot Camp for some time. It ran like a wounded dog that needed to be put out of its misery. Wiped that out of mercy and started over with Parallels + the 7 RC beta. Wow! THAT was a lot more usable! Not only that, I cut 7's memory allocation to half of what it was under Vista and it still ran faster and ate much less disk space.

I also tried 7 via VMware workstation on a Linux box. That was very usable, too, even on a workstation that was already running low on memory due to other apps eating so much of 3 GB. So my conclusion is: 7 is a winner, and it is what Vista should have had been from day 1. But no way I'm jumping ship. I like my problem-free Snow Leopard experience and I've been using Macs for the last 22 years with too much invested into the platform. To each, his/her own, I guess. :)

10. elmancho thread starter macrumors 6502

elmancho

I'm not jumping ship either I was exaggerating ^^

I just wanted to give MS the thumbs up on this one !

As for photoshop is runs better on 10.6 and I cant give up iCal and Mail :D

And for those of you MS haters that say "they copied cupertino blablabla", get over it.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Good discussion.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

just burned my student copy and am about ready to switch from this clump of **** vista to 7.

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree with your first sentence: Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista. But, then again, that's like saying a worm is waaaay smarter than a rock. They're still both Windows; and with Vista it's really not that hard to beat. I tried the Windows 7 thing when the beta was available, and when the download site finally starting working, Windows 7 - while an improvement over Vista - still gave me problems (eg: Not installing without problems, crashing in the midst of regular use, OS hesitation, etc).

I don't quite understand why people make the statement that Win7 is better than Vista, and use that as an argument to get people to upgrade or use Windows. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been in the first place.

...and just on a personal note: I don't like the Windows interface anyway.

But, OP, you think Windows 7 is the cat's balls. Kudos. I wish you all the best. :)

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Id rather run mac os x on my PC. Windows 7 is snappier, I scored 4000 points higher on my 3dmark benchmark (wtf?) and overall the interface seems a little cleaner. I would pay 500 dollars for the OS if steve jobs officially released mac os x for newer PC hardware.

15. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Pleased with 10.6 and probably will be satisfied for as long as OS X is made :).

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Daniel Eran Dilger will do that
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/08/26/why-windows-7-isnt-competing-with-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Windows 7 hasn't been around enough to be deemed 'amazing'. Like any version of Windows, it's likely starting out fine, only to gradually deteriorate into a complete mess, requiring a reinstall.

Come back to this thread after 9-12 months of use, then tell us what you think. :)

18. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

What? How can mail and ical be better than Outlook (which is a premium software that dominates the office)??? And you DO have to pay for it so it’s not really included in Windows 7 (unless you pirated it somehow). The comparable one is Windows Live stuff (or Bing if they changed the name). That, you can compare on equal grounds.

Second, Photoshop was on Windows forever. Though it looks like a port from the Mac version so maybe it’s not as “stable”. But the new one is native 64-bit Photoshop and only on Vista…and I presume Windows 7 soon.

Windows 7 is actually a tweak of Vista. It’s just that Vista had a bad start because manufacturers sold crap computers to price compete making ignorant consumers get lemons. Then the morons tried to make a class-action against MS, which failed miserably. And 3rd party driver support was slow and many didn’t want to release new drivers for old equipment.

Real Windows 7 computers that are “different” from Vista are multi-touch machines and “cloud-connected” Windows 7 clusters (which won’t be standard for a while). Neither will DX11 be available anytime soon. It’s just marketing and 7 is a lucky number so it’s strategized to have this effect.

Gartner classifies Windows releases as "plumbing" releases, which make major changes to the Windows architecture, and "polishing" releases, which build on the plumbing release, improving usability and functionality. Windows Vista was a plumbing release; Windows 7 will be a polishing release, just as Windows XP was a polishing release of Windows 2000. The name Windows "7" seems to be more of a marketing statement to distance the new release from the poorly received Windows Vista than a marker of major architectural changes; it would be better characterized as v.6.1.
    http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/microsoft/vol5/article3/article3.html

All in all, Windows 7 does have its game-changing appeal, but that’s really at the high-end of futuristic computing. It’s a small tweak of the core that Vista introduced and if you want to be on the leading edge the things to come, I think Windows 7 will lead the way, but not overnight.

Here's some interesting links:
    http://vimeo.com/2812472
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV9vM389Ie8&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg8yuSKN5aM
    http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/opin/488F8E6B7CFC7BFECC257631007DE633

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Speaking of reinstalls, I ain't reinstalled my MacPro since I purchased it a year ago! And the lst time I reinstalled the system on my 2.2Ghz Macbook was over two years ago! lol :D

Wonder how long it'll take for Win7 to make a mess and demand a reinstall?

20. elmancho thread starter macrumors 6502

elmancho

Well, as with Windows I myself reinstall OS X every 12-18 months but it would be as bad as Windows if I didn't.

PLEASE BRING DISK DEFRAG TO DISK UTILITY !!!!!!!

21. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

What do you guys do with your computers? :confused:

I've never reinstalled my computers unless I'm upgrading or wiping the hard-drive to give it to someone else.

22. mags631 Guest

Are you sure it's because of disk defragmentation? Have you run hfsdebug or (similar utility) that will report actual fragmentation statistics?

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I wonder too!!! :rolleyes:

Me, I just leave mine on 24/7 allow MacOS to take care of it's house keeping without human intervention. And so far, it's been faultless. Occasionally I'll restart the system due to updates and one every two weeks, I shut down the system for maintenance and cleaning but that's about it - dust is the enemy!

24. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Attached Files:

25. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

What's '10/22'?