Windows 7. Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EV0LUTION, Oct 30, 2008.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I just installed the pre-beta version of windows 7 on my macbook pro through parallels. This thing looks amazing. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it, but the majority of the new features look pretty cool.

I need to find the necessary drivers for internet, sound, ect.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i think that sums it up pretty well....

3. zenspeaks macrumors member

Can it provide you with a reasonable out-of-the-box experience?
    Seems like the answer is no. Sticking to my Mac. :)

4. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

for a pre-beta release it has.

5. zenspeaks macrumors member

Maybe I should stop being so skeptical about Windows and give them a chance, but I'd totally hate having to sit through a one hour drill of loading driver and installing basic software like pdf readers, flash players etc.

I'll wait up to see what 7 will be all about. I'm quite impressed that it can run well on 1GB of RAM. Can put an aging Thinkpad to new use!

6. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Where did you get a Pre-Beta release for it? I MUST HAVE! especially since i have 2 hard drives, 1 running OS-X and one running vista.

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I chose to walk away from windows, other than my sig post, :p

So, there is little version 7 could offer me. Not knocking those that want it, its just my windows era is over.

9. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I hope Windows 7 becomes at least on par with OSX, give Apple some reason to continue innovating. (Nothing new in their hardware products has caught my eye for a few years now).

I like the Wiki screenshot.

10. larapumkin macrumors regular

screenshot doesn look so bad..
    how's the speed?
    i really needed a therapy tea for relaxation for the vista..

11. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

My brother is a dev. He sent me the the ISO image.

I know there are a few older versions (6801 current is 6866) leaked on torrent sites.

for it being virtual and currently having no internet. I have opened every program available and they are all (16 or so) running fine on 512 of allocated ram.

12. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

13. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Actually, the "new" taskbar in Windows 7 is similar to what they had in Windows 1..in 1985.

14. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

I think it will be better than vista is. I like the look it seems easy to navigate but I don't think it will stand up to the new version of OS X that is coming soon

15. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I've seen many screenshots and it looks very nice.
    Around Christmas time I'll be making the switch, and hopefully I will make a good one.
    At least I can test Windows on a Mac. :)

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

eventually they will need to make it backwards compatible and that's the point when all the bugs, bloat and inconsistncies come up again.

i hope they decide to do it right this time though. but not making it backwards compatible wil cost them tons of customers especially in the business world.

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Anything has to be better than Vista's contant badgering...

"You clicked on an Icon, did you mean to do that"
    "This program was downloaded from the internet, are you sure you meant to click on that"
    "You Clicked OK to the last 2 questions, are you sure you want to run this program"

Grrrr....

I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

I still have a use for Windows unfortunately. Hopefully Windows 7 will be somewhat of a turnaround product.

18. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

that is what vista was for. Most of those bugs have been ironed out. The reason msft has tons of customers is because they don't just break stuff.

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Sounds good so far. On Vista as soon as I open around 30 windows (Photoshop, AI, InDesign, Dreamweaver, etc.) I get out of Memory problems in Vista (with 4GB of RAM). It'll be nice to know that they fixed that.

20. NightGeometry macrumors regular

The problem they may eventually face (and to a certain extent already seem to be facing, if the company I work for is representative), is that by maintaining backwards compatibility everything else in new versions seems to suffer (speed and bugs), and there is no real reason to upgrade.

But breaking backwards compatibility, and maintaining it at the same time is easy. Just have a VM in place that supports the old Win32 and associated bits'n'pieces. Heh, they could even bundle Wine with Windows 7...

Apple seem to have managed this a couple of times (the switch to OS X and the switch to Intel).

I don't know, but I imagine pushing everything to .Net is part of the strategy for this - run everything on a VM anyway, and you can start switching stuff about a lot easier.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. I really have no interest in ever using windows again.

22. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I think is has potential

And i think it's going to be much better than vista!

;-)

23. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

hi. that is called the TASKbar that existed, for like forever. and those are quicklaunch items. the only difference with W7 is that they decided to magnify it now.

please don't confuse us with misinformation. thanks.

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Is this some sort of 'How much transparency can we cram into an OS?' experiment. Whats the bets we get a 'Longhorn' and Windows 7 actually looks nothing like that...

Though, to tell you the truth, I'm quite looking forward to ... Snow Leopard. ;)

25. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

yes indeed. we all know that osx is installed on only one set of hardware so it has all the drivers built in.

now a real world, modern operating systems should be able to handle billions of possible hardware configurations. which is what windows does. thus it needs proper drivers.

thanks for your illuminating post.