Windows 8 Release Preview

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sirpots, May 31, 2012.

1. sirpots macrumors regular

Has anyone tried it on there mac? How is it running? I am curious to run it on my Macbook Pro

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Downloading it now. Its downloading pretty fast to say their servers are probably taking a hit. I'm going to use PD and test it out tonight.

3. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

please let me know how it how it goes! I want to try it

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I'll also be installing Windows 8 Release Preview onto my Mac. I'll probably get round to that tomorrow or the next day.

5. pvtjokr88 macrumors newbie

I've downloaded it, but now what??? Ive been looking through all sorts of the guides here, and all over google but i can't seem to find anything to help.

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

7. nfl46, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

nfl46 macrumors 603

Very Very Nice! It runs a lot quicker than Consumer Preview I had on my Macbook. So far, Microsoft has a winner. I've been using it for a while now. I love this Metro interface.

Great job, Microsoft. The interface makes Mac OS X look outdated. :(

8. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

are you running bootcamp?

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

Parallels Desktop

10. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Eh the metro interface looks like a kids practise computer UI Vtech i think they are called.

How anyone could take it serious with that ridiculous UI is beyond me. OSX still looks and is miles ahead of windows... and I'm not saying that because I own macs... I use windows 7 all the time and I think its great and its UI is great. Windows 8 however is a mess. Removing fundamental UI features from something as popular and widely used as windows and then making all the new features hard to remember and access is stupid.

11. iFanboy Guest

Troll?

Seriously, the "Metro" interface is a step back in both usability and productivity.

I placed my 70 year old father in front of my Macbook Pro and my Dell XPS running CP. He managed to intuitively work out OSX in the space of 10 mins and was as productive as could be.

After 30 mins in front of Windows 8 he managed to turn it off by opening IE10 and googling for instructions.

12. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I'm using the release preview right now, and I must say that I love it, It's pretty awesome, the user interface changes look amazing, and the animations are very mac like now..

Also the speed is spectacular, I'm not even on an SSD on my Windows drive, and it feels like I am using an SSD.. Native applications launch very quickly & the animations are extremely smooth and quick..

Overall very impressed, I don't think It's enough for me to switch back to Windows, but Microsoft in my opinion is going in the right direction.. And I'm certainly going to upgrade from Windows 7.. Totally worth it..

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Troll? Hmm, I would NEVER switch to Windows. I am a dedicated Mac user, but I like trying out new devices and OS.

14. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Another thing I might add is the performance is noticeably better then Mac OSX Lion.. Honestly I'm left impressed.. Don't take my word for it.. Install it on your machine and give it a go..

15. pvtjokr88 macrumors newbie

Yes i have the iso, and I'm trying to follow all the steps in the guides I've found, except I'm not getting the option to select the iso at all.

Any input would be appreciated. Im running an early 2011 13" MBP with current Lion

16. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

are you using bootcamp? You need to format the iso on to a USB

17. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Downloading it now, already have the consumer preview installed in a VM.

Performance wise, Windows 8 is a winner.

UI wise? No way... massive step backwards, metro has no place on the desktop, imho.

18. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Drivers in bootcamp

You guys, please let us know how you're running it, parlells or bootcamp.

Personally I had issues with the bootcamp 4.0 drivers in both Win 7 and Win 8 Consumer Preview. Two issues: screen brightness toggels didnt work and the "Mighty" mouse took 2 min to connect. I cant imagine this has changed to windows 8?

19. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I will be installing the 64-bit version via VirtualBox (have mid-2010 iMac with OS X Lion). Hopefully things will go smoothly as I've heard previous Windows 8 versions have been a bit troublesome (specially the 64-bit versions).

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just tried it in parallels but not a great success, will try updating my bootcamp partition later.

21. buckers macrumors 6502

Partition issue

I had Windows 7 running on Boot Camp with Lion. Formatted the partition to install W8 Developer Preview and the same to do the Consumer Preview. All worked fine.

Now trying to install Release Preview from a USB stick; can boot from the USB stick but when I try to install, it says something about me having an MBR and needing a GPT? :-S Never been an issue before. Anyone know how to get past this?

22. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Havent used it natively. Runs fantastic on a 1gb vm. Here's a screen of the 32bit version in vmware 4. The memory usage is fantastic:

Attached Files:

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK, so I installed it on my MacPro's bootcamp partition over the top of Window 7.

I used my retail license key for Windows 8 so hopefully I won't have to do a nothing else when it hits final.

So far the only issue was Windows Security Essentials had to be uninstalled, and I had to download the AMD Catalyst drivers for my 5870.

But everything else is working, including the existing bootcamp drivers for keyboard, sound etc...

Seems really nice and my Steam & Origin are still working. (Mostly use Bootcamp for gaming).

Happy out. I have had a Windows 7 mobile handset, so it linked that account to my Windows 8 account and now all my contacts, twitter and Facebook was all synced in the people pane no trouble.

It's good, but still a bit too tailored to a touch screen device rather than normal desktop experience. on my 27" monitor I'd like to increase the size of the tiles further but can't.

24. miralize macrumors member

Having some issues with it. Its saying that "windows cannot be installed to this disk. This selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

I created the partition with Bootcamp, deleted it, tried again about 5 times, still wont work for me. Any one else have this issue?

25. mrpither macrumors member

mrpither

Try formatting/initializing it with the installer.

I set it up last nite over my 13" MB Pro Win8 CP bootcamp installed from a usb drive and it's up and running. Installed latest bootcamp drivers and 4 updates from windows but then had to sleep. Looked good so far More playing tonite.