Windows Phone 7 Is More Stylish Than iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Mar 16, 2011.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790NeAUsEfM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn, Windows Phone 7 is too sexy. It even makes transit apps look good. If this were iOS, we would be stuck with pinstripe backgrounds from the 80's and horrifically styled "3D" buttons that look terrible, not to mention the terrible typography in iOS that is too small in many cases or have terrible formatting that makes it look unfinished.

2. SidBala macrumors 6502a

My next phone will most probably be a WP7 device.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it looks cut off

4. Blakey. macrumors member

I love the OS's design. I'm pretty new to iOS, my iPhone 4 being my first iOS device, so it's not all that stale to me. But I do love the aesthetics of WP7 OS. If they had an excellently designed device, more quality applications, and more of their upcoming software updates already implemented, it would be far more compelling for me to get one.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think it looks pretty nice ... but too elaborate. It doesn't seem that efficient either. I hate how the letters get cut off too.

6. amarcus macrumors 6502

That does look slick. Ironic. Apple is often quoted as being more style than substance but in this case I actually think iOS has the more functional but less pretty interface.

At the end of the day I guess it all comes down to personal preference and I still love iOS. Besides, the cut off lettering is annoying me already!

Adam

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It gets gimmicky after a few hours of use. It's just not practical at all. You'll get sick of looking at it after a few weeks too.

8. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's flashy and slick, with lots of eye candy. For apple to succed they need to take features from android, add a slick, cool eye-candy-rific style (like WP7) and then add some more unique feaures, like Android with live wallpapers, widgets and tabs (they were unique at the time) and widgets still are.

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I'll just add that 100% of the people I know who purchased Windows 7 phones have since left the platform for either Android or iPhone. Sad, but true. :( Competition is good, but MS is just dropping the ball here.

When I went to the MS store in Mission Viejo, the W7 Phones were there, but 90% of the functionality was disabled because they couldn't figure out how to keep them activated. The sales rep said after an hour they go to sleep and then they are offline and they can't seem to figure out how to keep them awake.

The OS seemed OK, nothing out of the ordinary. Lots of options to do things I know I'll never use. But since I couldn't use any of the apps correctly, it kinda soured me.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

11. syc23 macrumors member

I do like Win7 OS design front end but IMO iOS is a more slicker experience and more apps which is more important than having a trendy contemporary design interface and typographic style.

Never really felt Apple's OS looks any less 'trendy' than its Windows/Android counterparts, if anything there's a sense of 'unfinished' look with rival OS designs of icons and interface design as opposed to the polished look on all Apple UI.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So do I. That would drive me nuts.

13. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

http://www.sabre-corp.com/no-accounting-for-taste/ ?

After playing with the WP7 phones in futureshop I can definitely see the draw to using them, very slick, but also limited. It's a personal preference really, do I want to be able to run 1000's of varying apps, or do I want a unified slick UI experience across everything the phone does and spend more time with core features like messaging, web, camera.

You can argue that the look is trendy, but really many of us have these phones for 12-18 months then get something new, trendiness is inherent to the life cycle.

14. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

15. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

wish there was a 64GB phone that could boot iOS,Android OS, and WP7 OS.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yay another troll thread on Macrumors!

Shame on me for feeding it.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks nice.

For the most part MS has garnered quite a lot of praise for the UI of win7 phones. Their app store hasn't quite gotten traction, though think once Nokia comes on board, that will help gain some critical mass.

18. beg_ne macrumors 6502

WP7, where even the promo videos are jerky/slow when sliding screens and scrolling.

Also there is nothing forcing those "pinstripe backgrounds" to be used in an app. A developer could easily make something just like this on iPhone.

19. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Do you own a WP7?

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, he heard about it from his friend's cousin's girlfriend's aunt's co-worker :p

21. Beezy macrumors regular

For one. I had a winmo phone before iPhone and I swore I would never do it again no matter what. There is tremendous upside for the new OS but I think they may have jumped on too late. Its obvious they have one advantage for being late which is that they can see whats out there already and go from there. The thing is my #1 reason for going with iOS was very simply the apps and that is the one area where they will kick ass into the near future. As it stands my next phone will be another iPhone. I am a long time Windows guy. I am growing weary of MS products tho. Haven't checked that vid yet. Not sure what is so impressive about the pics in the OP?

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think had iOS came after WP7, the opinion would be different. But since iOS has pretty much looked the same for the last 4 years, it has become the stale one. Apple even had the audacity to give us such a hideous default wallpaper when we picked up our iPhone 4's. Thank goodness we can change it now.

At some point, the UI is a "superficial thing" where we all get sick of it eventually just like our desktop wallpapers and default pic on Facebook where we like to change it up again from time to time. If iOS decides to revamp the UI, many of us will love it for awhile and then get bored of it after a few years. I remember asking myself the other day how long will Facebook last? Forever? Another 5 years until it fades away like another internet fad? The kid who created it got rich and who knows what next model will be to supersede it?

No website lives on forever. At least Google Search and YouTube has lasting power. Remember when MySpace was the big thing and that is a more versatile site than FB. Then it became laggy, ugly, and cluttered. Or how about AOL back in the 90's? Or how about Hotmail? That's my case with any product whether tangible or not. Remember the GameBoy line? I think of how Final Fantasy has gotten worse for me since X. Maybe that's how iPhone will turn out. The hysteria dies down eventually when the next big thing arrives.

I personally don't think that WP7 is the next big thing, but Metro is nice and Nokia's global popularity will help them more than hurt them. Anybody ever tried the now defunct Zune HD line would know how nice it really is. Too bad we can't customize yet and still waiting for copy & paste for my notes.

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The cut-off text is not sexy. Also, updates that crash your phone continuously is ugly.

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

To me, the nicest OS will be BlackBerry OS 7. RIM bought out The Astonishing Tribe (TAT) which makes amazing 3D interfaces.

TAT BlackBerry PlayBook Apps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNISlsdXIdI

BlackBerry PlayBook Ad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHY6Ahyv4s

I think the PlayBook looks more professional-looking while the iPads and other tablets look more consumer-ish and look like giant phones catered for kids and wannabe yuppies (corporate poseurs). PlayBook has a better name too. Even the iPad has the name of a spoof on MadTV from 2007! Who wants a tablet that sounds like a brand of a female's menstrual pad?

[​IMG]

MadTV iPAD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68aKVAzwQ4

My next dream phone that perfectly compliments my iPhone 4 is if Sony Ericsson and Google make me a Nexus Play by this year or I will be stuck with another OS for 20 months after my next upgrade next Feb. Why Android? It is laggy, right? Because it is peaking right now, can always improve, and PlayStation games and an unlocked, stock Android can lock me up on their ecosystem. One of iPhone's biggest weaknesses is diversity in game genres because it lacks a gaming pad. Once I start paying $10-$20 PS2 digital downloads for my phone, I could be stuck with PlayStation phones forever because I am NOT going to throw my library just like that. But Sony will "F" it up again and ask for a prohibitive price tag like the $900 for Spain. XPERIA PLAY is already going to be their next failure to launch. Sony should look at iPhone 4's weaknesses and either do the opposite or improve on their strengths.

With BlackBerry or WP7, I can always leave because their app market is still immature and have no apps enticing or hardware features enough that I can't find at equal value with Apple's App Store or with an iPhone. Android, while laggy, is still the one with the future and more versatile of all the OSes. They seem to push cutting-edge hardware the fastest, but you need it stock. If iOS is like a safe Disney World and Android is NYC, I can always find the safe and classier spots of Manhattan.

25. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I have the same issue with my ZuneHD's UI... I applaud MS for trying, but their UI is too cute for its own good.