Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
WOW... very nice.

Well, I was abroad (working) last year when the delivery of CBS took place, and didn't return home on leave for months.

Thus, this year, I had the staff primed - 1) to put stuff aside for me - CBS walks when it makes a rare appearance, and 2) to notify me when it did come in.

Thus, last Saturday, I was taken to the fridge, with a chuckle, and the contents displayed to me with pride.

They seem to have received one crate, and I had been advised to expect it in early December. This was a proverbial no-brainer: Initially, I had asked for ten, taking two bottles with me to sample over the weekend (written about above).

Then, it struck me that this was silly, and I simply asked to buy all that they had; actually, I have just counted the contents of the crate. I have sixteen bottles of CBS.

That means I must discreetly enquire whether or not it is possible to lay hands on more.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So, that means that on Saturday, I paid for 18 bottles, that is, 18 out of the 24. Sixteen were delivered today, and I consumed two over the week-end.

One bottle of CBS has just now been opened. A stunning imperialised ale, aged in maple syrup casks.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My first beer of the night was the legendary CBS (from Founders) and my second, and last beer, is the perennial classic from St Bernardus, St Bernardus Abt 12, a stunning Belgian quadrupel beer. Served in a St Bernardus glass, or beer chalice.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hah, lucky you! I still haven’t managed a bottle of the CBS. Eyes peeled, as usual...

Well, I phoned my contact today to give feedback and a review of the CBS; last Saturday evening, I undertook a compare/contrast session between CBS and KBS, and followed that on Sunday when I compared/contrasted CBS and Curmudgeon's Better Half.

These are outstanding beers, so when I say that CBS is the best of them, (and they were compared at the same sitting), that does count for something.

Moreover, a quick check of reviews online revealed that RateBeer had awarded a score of 100% to CBS.

So, when I made my phone call today, my contact was delighted, and further thrilled to let me know that he expects to be able to lay hands on a further two cases. One will certainly be reserved for me; I might attempt to lay hands on a few bottles from the other; mustn't be greedy, but, by the same token, if my compatriots fail to spot a true example of brewing excellence, their loss.

I will say that it is better than KBS (which is excellent), as it is smoother and slightly sweeter and beautifully balanced and better, also, than the Curmudgeon's Better Half - both of which are superb beers.

Apparently, a Founders glass has also been ordered for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Kram

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, I phoned my contact today to give feedback and a review of the CBS; last Saturday evening, I undertook a compare/contrast session between CBS and KBS, and followed that on Sunday when I compared/contrasted CBS and Curmudgeon's Better Half.

These are outstanding beers, so when I say that CBS is the best of them, (and they were compared at the same sitting), that does count for something.

Moreover, a quick check of reviews online revealed that RateBeer had awarded a score of 100% to CBS.

So, when I made my phone call today, my contact was delighted, and further thrilled to let me know that he expects to be able to lay hands on a further two cases. One will certainly be reserved for me; I might attempt to lay hands on a few bottles from the other; mustn't be greedy, but, by the same token, if my compatriots fail to spot a true example of brewing excellence, their loss.

I will say that it is better than KBS (which is excellent, smoother and slightly sweeter and beautifully balanced) and better, also, than the Curmudgeon's Better Half - both of which are superb beers.

Apparently, a Founders glass has also been ordered for me.
Ah interesting, CBS is less sweet than KBS? Definitely on my list of beers to root out...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah interesting, CBS is less sweet than KBS? Definitely on my list of beers to root out...

No.

CBS is actually slightly sweeter (it is aged in maple syrup casks - hence the name), than KBS, and somehow both 'smoother' and better balanced.

Actually, I thought it better than KBS - there is less 'heat' from the alcohol, although both are excellent.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
No.

CBS is actually slightly sweeter (it is aged in maple syrup casks - hence the name), than KBS, and somehow both 'smoother' and better balanced.

Actually, I thought it better than KBS - there is less 'heat' from the alcohol, although both are excellent.
I figured that would be the case, since it’s got some maple syrup. Well, at least I have a better chance of finding this one than stuff from Buxton!

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Giving this a go. Bottled exclusively for BevMo, but label looks exactly like meiomi which is a favorite daily for my wife.

37f6460226d8e1e69b9a281ae8a12ac5.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Giving this a go. Bottled exclusively for BevMo, but label looks exactly like meiomi which is a favorite daily for my wife.

37f6460226d8e1e69b9a281ae8a12ac5.jpg
La Crema is a great everyday chardonnay. I've come across a few other chardonnays made in the traditional way with the same or lower price, and were better. Sometimes you just have to pick up random bottles and try them out, regardless of reviews. Unless it's utter garbage.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well as it happens I found some at a local store, so I nabbed a 750ml bottle. Something to look forward to in the near future...

Ah: That will make for a most pleasant evening's sipping and savouring. Do enjoy it, and let me know how you find it when you open it.

Mind you, it is a beer that could take a decent cheeseboard, - the sort with nice cheddars, or Goudas, and possibly a decent blue, or two, as well.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just received this from Beer 52. Reviews when individually consumed.

a8282031808fd899ddbf0f8275fc1959.jpg
4cfc71b7f8c5c721e2c5d8beafb7e7ee.jpg

Edit; not sure about the “love corn”?....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just received this from Beer 52. Reviews when individually consumed.

a8282031808fd899ddbf0f8275fc1959.jpg
4cfc71b7f8c5c721e2c5d8beafb7e7ee.jpg

Edit; not sure about the “love corn”?....

Do enjoy; in any case, I look forward to reading your reviews; can't say that I have ever heard of many of the products.

I expect that the "love corn" packet is the sort of snack (crisps, nuts, that sort of thing) that might accompany a glass of beer quite well.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Because of scribe. Limit one per customer.

9f727b97d208b2bb4fcf0324120317d9.jpg

Oooooh.

Do enjoy it and let me (us?) know how you found it.

Note the empty saddle.

Until this year, a gentleman wearing a stunning red serge tunic, navy breeches, oxblood boots and a stetson hat (Montana crown) used to be pictured on that horse, but the RCMP made clear their unhappiness at this.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Oooooh.

Do enjoy it and let me (us?) know how you found it.

Note the empty saddle.

Until this year, a gentleman wearing a stunning red serge tunic, navy breeches, oxblood boots and a stetson hat (Montana crown) used to be pictured on that horse, but the RCMP made clear their unhappiness at this.

I may have a sip. Bought it for my beer drinking friends. I’ll give you my opinion, but I don’t know if it’s worth its weight in lead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.