Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am curious where he is getting his KBS from! I would love to get my hands on another bottle or two. It has loooooong been sold out here. CBS has been hit and miss at the local spots. I was lucky enough to find two bottles.

Well, I am in Europe.

I'm told CBS will not make an appearance here until December, although I am aware that it has been released already in the US.

Discreet enquiries will be made to ascertain whether any further supplies of Curmudgeon's Better Half are to be had - I am aware that this is a seasonal beverage and that further supplies may well be limited.

Re KBS, sometimes - as happened two years ago - suppliers were mysteriously able to come up with, (unexpected but welcome) crates; or, as once happened, a crate of KBS was found in a storeroom (for some strange reason it had not been put out on display on the shop floor, nor had found its way to the fridges), and, on that auspicious occasion, I was contacted and asked whether I would fancy a crate of KBS (they needed the space in the storeroom). This was months after that nectar had been available for that year; needless to say, my joy was indescribable.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Had this before dinner the other night. Always a crowd pleaser.

ec1cfb993c66dc186db0a6033b0006ed.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
What is it like? What are the grape varieties used?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Bordeaux style Cab from Napa. Tasting notes from the maker:

With a nose boasting of subtle cherry and raspberry along with floral and mineral notes, this rich and creamy wine exhibits a unique combination of crushed rocks and bright red fruit. The hillside site can be credited for creating this more floral and red fruit focussed wine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bordeaux style Cab from Napa. Tasting notes from the maker:

With a nose boasting of subtle cherry and raspberry along with floral and mineral notes, this rich and creamy wine exhibits a unique combination of crushed rocks and bright red fruit. The hillside site can be credited for creating this more floral and red fruit focussed wine.

We don't see many wines from the US in our part of the world; as a result, I cannot really claim much expertise, although I do recall that I disliked the US wines available in our part of the world during the 80s (wines such as Blossom Hill, Paul Masson, Gallo); however, in recent years, I have had some outstanding Chilean reserves.

Nevertheless, it is hard to go wrong with a good Cabernet Sauvignon, especially if the soil allows for the production of an interesting wine.

Do enjoy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Is this a spiced stout by any chance?

Yes. Delicious.

The label says (in microscopic print, very trying for my ageing bespectacled eyes): "Milk stout brewed with a mixture of traditional chai ingredients: ginger, cardamon, cinnamon & star anise."

I am very partial to proper (as in 'real') chai anyway. In any case, this is a lovely spiced stout.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehaathi

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yes. Delicious.

The lebel says (in microscopic print, very trying for my ageing bespectacled eyes): "Milk stout brewed with a mixture of traditional chai ingredients: ginger, cardamon, cinnamon & star anise."

I am very partial to proper (as in 'real') chai anyway. In any case, this is a lovely spiced stout.
Yum, I had something very similar on tap recently. I have to admit I do love those spices, and they went quite well with a rich milk stout.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
80s were a dark and budding time for US wines. Different story now.

Going to pop into the shops to find a few bottles of either sherry or port. Taking the day off in addition to my usual Fridays, and we're closed all of next week and the proceeding Monday.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
80s were a dark and budding time for US wines. Different story now.

True.

But, if you haven't been exposed to US wines since then, (and your only experience of US wines are those horrors from the past), it presents a challenge to transform your perceptions.

Going to pop into the shops to find a few bottles of either sherry or port. Taking the day off in addition to my usual Fridays, and we're closed all of next week and the proceeding Monday.

In my experience, price and quality intersect best with either the ten year old or twenty year old tawnies.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
True.

But, if you haven't been exposed to US wines since then, (and your only experience of US wines are those horrors from the past), it presents a challenge to transform your perceptions.

I would imagine you could get your hands a on a few bottles of a US type wine, but the bigger question is do you want to based on your past experience. Like others have said, I think you will be pleasantly surprised on what we have. I am not familiar with all the wines, but I know the Russian River area in California has produced some really good ones! I will admit though, my pallet for wine is not as refined as it is for beer. :D:)

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
An interesting beer is Kilikia, but I've only had it in Armenian (and I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else). If you manage to find some, give it a try.

Attachments

• thumb_img_9538_1024.jpg
    thumb_img_9538_1024.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 59

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
An interesting beer is Kilikia, but I've only had it in Armenian (and I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else). If you manage to find some, give it a try.

I have tried two Armenian beers, a bottle of Kotayk and I can't remember the name of the second one. They were just ok in my book, however I am always open to trying new beers! Just added this one to my list!

Had a Tangerine Wheat beer from Lost Coast Brewery. It was actually pretty good! I also had a beer called "Day Beer Lager". This was pretty much on par with what you would think it would be. This is right up there with Olympia and others. Speaking of Olympia beer, I actually had one this weekend and yup, it is is still pretty darn bad! Went to a retro bar and they had a bunch of 70-80's beer in the can. Shlitz, PBR, Olympia, Coors, and a few others that I can't remember. I am soooo glad we have more choices in beer now!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have tried two Armenian beers, a bottle of Kotayk and I can't remember the name of the second one. They were just ok in my book, however I am always open to trying new beers! Just added this one to my list!

Had a Tangerine Wheat beer from Lost Coast Brewery. It was actually pretty good! I also had a beer called "Day Beer Lager". This was pretty much on par with what you would think it would be. This is right up there with Olympia and others. Speaking of Olympia beer, I actually had one this weekend and yup, it is is still pretty darn bad! Went to a retro bar and they had a bunch of 70-80's beer in the can. Shlitz, PBR, Olympia, Coors, and a few others that I can't remember. I am soooo glad we have more choices in beer now!

Armenia is very well known for cognac: Indeed, the very best cognac that came from the world of the Soviet Union - Ararat (named for the extraordinary mountain, which is stunningly visible in Yerevan, but is lying around 50 km across the border in Turkey), is produced in Armenia - the 20 year old is excellent.

Thus, I'd imagine that their wines could be interesting as well, although I never tried any.

Beer, no. The Caucasus doesn't "get" beer. Not yet, anyway.

Georgia also produces some extremely good wines, and some pretty good cognac.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Armenia is very well known for cognac: Indeed, the very best cognac that came from the world of the Soviet Union - Ararat (named for the extraordinary mountain, which is stunningly visible in Yerevan, but is lying around 50 km across the border in Turkey), is produced in Armenia - the 20 year old is excellent.

Thus, I'd imagine that their wines could be interesting as well, although I never tried any.

Beer, no. The Caucasus doesn't "get" beer. Not yet, anyway.

Georgia also produces some extremely good wines, and some pretty good cognac.
Ah very interesting, I would love to try some Armenian brandy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah very interesting, I would love to try some Armenian brandy.

The very best is Ararat, named after the mountain.

The mountain positively looms over Yerevan - an astonishing sight, (I have seen it on a visit to Yerevan) and the Armenians look, longingly, at it, considering it a core part of their cultural and geographical identity. Unfortunately, (for them), it lies in what is now modern Turkey, what they dream of as "greater Armenia".

Legends suggest that Noah's ark ended up on Ararat, though one cannot vouch for their authenticity.

Re the cognac, try the 20 year old Ararat (which is superb, lovely and smooth), and the 14 year old. Anything younger, to my palate, is too sharp, with that horrid burning sensation one gets from cheap alcohol which hasn't aged sufficiently long to acquire qualities such as perfect balance and agreeable smoothness.

The Georgians also produce quite good cognac - again, my advice is not to touch anything under twenty years old.

Reactions: mobilehaathi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.