Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
Hi,
does anyone have the link to a free download for winzip mac (assuming one exists)?

if the freeware version does exist, is it a good app?...meaning, if I want to send a file that is 30MB...what will is zip it to....2, 5, 10, ....

or is there a totally better product out there, (one that i can send to friends with PC's and macs)?

please let me know

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
You don't need WinZip. It's built into the Mac OS X. Right click on an item or a folder and select compress. It will automagically create a zip file for your enjoyment and pleasure.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
you can zip images in OS X by right clicking the file and choosing "Compress". BEATEN!… gotta be fast around here

theres also The Unarchiver which can open archives that OS X's Archive Utility cant like RAR, 7-zip, stuffit, pax.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
tks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait a minute....i had an imovie that was 229 MB, when i compress it, its 226MB

am i missing something,,,thats not much of a compression?

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
ok....cool...tks....

on another issue (i am a new mac user) i am in iphoto....what are these events and how do i delete them...?

i have already organized them into folders/ albums..

i dont want to have double the pics....hence more memory

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Say, you might want to start a new thread on your iPhoto question in the Mac Applications area. I don't know the answer to your question here, but getting a new subject going in the right area will get you answers pretty quick.

Welcome to the world on Mac's.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
ok....cool...tks....

on another issue (i am a new mac user) i am in iphoto....what are these events and how do i delete them...?

i have already organized them into folders/ albums..

i dont want to have double the pics....hence more memory

events aren't doubling your pictures..they are just organizing your photos into groups.

Byron

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
Winzipped files

So, does this mean that if I download a winzipped file, my mac will automatically unzip it? If an audio file, will it automatically load into iTunes or will I have to do something?

Help appreciated.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
^ zip is cross platform so OS X wont recognise it as a 'Winzip file' but rather as a '.zip' file which opens with Archive Utility. by default the music file will unzip to the current directory and then just double click on it to open in iTunes.

oldmacplus

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2007
Not finding any "compress" option under right click in 10.4

Im now using 10.4 and trying to compress Audio only- Quicktime movies from 20-40mb files to smallest possible for emailing. Using the right click menu on the file; I was not able to find anything like "compress".... Would love to know what I'm missing to be able to do so...

I have been only finding an option to "open with" and then going to" convert to mp3 file" This is giving me some reduction but still bigger files than I would like.

If I can further compress even with some quality loss (for voice) I would love to know how... Either by further compressing the now mp3 or starting with the original quicktime movie file..

Just not seeing anything about compress with the right click over any files of any kind.

Thanks much for any help... have many files to compress and email.:rolleyes:

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Im now using 10.4 and trying to compress Audio only- Quicktime movies from 20-40mb files to smallest possible for emailing. Using the right click menu on the file; I was not able to find anything like "compress".... Would love to know what I'm missing to be able to do so...

I have been only finding an option to "open with" and then going to" convert to mp3 file" This is giving me some reduction but still bigger files than I would like.

If I can further compress even with some quality loss (for voice) I would love to know how... Either by further compressing the now mp3 or starting with the original quicktime movie file..

Just not seeing anything about compress with the right click over any files of any kind.

It's "Make Archive" or something similar. Something with Archive in the name. But it probably will NOT help with a movie and compressing ALWAYS causes a loss in quality, except in the case of compression like .zip or things like that. MP3, Windows media and quicktime compression do cause a loss.

samuir

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2008
why cant open?

hi...thanks for such wonderful inform...but may i ask one question, i recently received a zip file, xxx.rar why i cant open? do i need a program of what? could u all please advise. thanks =P

efcjoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
hi...thanks for such wonderful inform...but may i ask one question, i recently received a zip file, xxx.rar why i cant open? do i need a program of what? could u all please advise. thanks =P

Download "The Unarchiver". It works with RAR as well as pretty much anything else you'll need to uncompress.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662

in Tiger and before the contextual menu for making zip archives was "Archive" and now in Leopard its "Compress"… presumabely to make it easy for new users to know what it does.

not a .zip file but a .rar like you said… they are archives. you can use UnrarX (unpacks rars only) or the The Unarchiver.

pealia

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
mac file zipping

ok, I've tried to zip a folder of jpeg images by right clicking and selecting "create archive of" which indeed creates a zip, but only reduces the size by .2mb -- eg 10mb became 9.8mb

Why? How can I compress a file more and have it be openable in both PC and Mac formats. an Stx stuffit file will not open in windows, yes? What do you suggest?

THANK YOU!!!!!

BileGhost

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
JPEG images are already compressed. Try saving it as a bitmap (*.bmp) to see its uncompressed size...

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Not free but stuffit works great!

P.S.: Zip is built in. You'll get negligible results from mp4, pdf, jpeg, and other compressed formats!

Yanksta125

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I am a mac user and i have files that were downloaded from utorrent on windows and then tranferred to my laptop through an external hard drive. they are currently unzipped. How do i zip them using a mac to put them in .avi or .mpg or .mpeg format so i can view them on quicktime?

BileGhost

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Try getting perian, that lets quicktime play most video formats.

BTW, what file extention do they have?

pantlove

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
.dir or .exe files...

hi all!

I AM DESPERATELY TRYING TO DOWNLOAD A FLASH PRESENTATION THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DOWNLOADED USING WINZIP....

I have been following instructions here but still cant open it... the file is called main.dir there is also another file called .exe which I also cant open!

I have compressed it and when I try to open it my comp tries to do so with powerpoint.. and this doesnt work!

Pls help! This is a presentation I need to give very soon!

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.