Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BileGhost

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Or theres a possibility it will work with Darwine (free) or Crossover (not free, but free trial).

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
You don't need WinZip. It's built into the Mac OS X. Right click on an item or a folder and select compress. It will automagically create a zip file for your enjoyment and pleasure.

Yes, this feature can be somewhat handy, but it doesn't really answer the question.

One of the things I miss about WinZip is the ability to open an archive and view the list of files without unzipping them, or unzipping only selected files. I haven't figured out how to do that using the tool built into OS X - is there a solution I don't know about?

ehsanvaravi

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
winzip for mac

hey guys,

i am very new to mac and dont know anything about it.

i want to download a winzip for mac to be able to extract .rar files..
where can i find this ??

what is it's name?

thanks

chiangly

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
WinZip for Mac

i hv a iMac 20 inch..but apparently i can't compress any file..i want to compress a .rar file into a .iso/.cso file..but i can't do it..can anyone help..? when i right click, there is also no option called "compress"..

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
hey guys,

i am very new to mac and dont know anything about it.

i want to download a winzip for mac to be able to extract .rar files..
where can i find this ??

what is it's name?

thanks

You dont need any WINDOWS crap software :rolleyes:
Try unrarx program for mac. Here's the link:
http://tinyurl.com/5jzprp

i hv a iMac 20 inch..but apparently i can't compress any file..i want to compress a .rar file into a .iso/.cso file..but i can't do it..can anyone help..? when i right click, there is also no option called "compress"..

.iso is not a "compression" type. Its a cd-image.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2009
Winzip is a lot more than what's available in the mac's "zip" feature.

For example, it's available via a right-button click, can encrypt files one of three ways, comes with tasks that run automatically, has its own interface, etc.. Gives you a folder view of the zip file. Just a terrific program!

It's too bad it's not available for the mac.

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
Winzip is a lot more than what's available in the mac's "zip" feature.

For example, it's available via a right-button click, can encrypt files one of three ways, comes with tasks that run automatically, has its own interface, etc.. Gives you a folder view of the zip file. Just a terrific program!

It's too bad it's not available for the mac.

You can for example, use Stuffit to make ecrypted password protected zip files and you can get a quicklook plugin which gives the ability tho use quicklook to view inside archives! :cool:

Attachments

• stuffit encrypt archive.jpg
    stuffit encrypt archive.jpg
    787.5 KB · Views: 178
  • quicklook inside zipfile.jpg
    quicklook inside zipfile.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 138

amo1260

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
How to unzip a file with .rar extension on Mac?

I am new to the Mac experience. How do you unzip a file with .rar extension on Mac?

Thanks,

Amo

sayamiranda

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
i still can't zip a movie file, compress just doesn't make it small enough

in Tiger and before the contextual menu for making zip archives was "Archive" and now in Leopard its "Compress"… presumabely to make it easy for new users to know what it does.

not a .zip file but a .rar like you said… they are archives. you can use UnrarX (unpacks rars only) or the The Unarchiver.

I downloaded rar, but still can't use it as there's no install mode, and can't open any of the files it comes with because there's no application in mac.

can anyone help please!!! FYI I am using iMac and Leopard system supposedly. Using compress only reduces the size of file by a little over 10%.I want to send a video file that I made with webcam, size is 46Mb.

THANK YOU!!!

alasdair17

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
right click and zipping

My first post - I have tried right clicking on a document but no zip option comes up - what am I doing wrong? Also does this provide a passwording option - how? Thnx

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I downloaded rar, but still can't use it as there's no install mode, and can't open any of the files it comes with because there's no application in mac.

can anyone help please!!! FYI I am using iMac and Leopard system supposedly. Using compress only reduces the size of file by a little over 10%.I want to send a video file that I made with webcam, size is 46Mb.

THANK YOU!!!

You can use Unarchiver and UnRarX to unpack rar files.

Also compressing a compressed file won't gain you much of a compression ratio - don't expect to get a 2MB archive (ZIP/RAR) out of a 20MB video, that is compressed with .h264 or some other MPEG-4 codec.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Is there a possibility to multi-quote on this forum?

Next to the Quote button is a +" button. Use that.

Depending on the video codec, you may not see much more compression using any compression utility. The nature of most modern codecs is such that they are already compressed to about as far as they will go.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
hi all!

I AM DESPERATELY TRYING TO DOWNLOAD A FLASH PRESENTATION THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DOWNLOADED USING WINZIP....

I have been following instructions here but still cant open it... the file is called main.dir there is also another file called .exe which I also cant open!

I have compressed it and when I try to open it my comp tries to do so with powerpoint.. and this doesnt work!

Pls help! This is a presentation I need to give very soon!

Thanks!

You can do this through the Terminal, if the EXE is a self-extracting compressed file/folder:

Code:
unzip ~/Downloads/somefile.exe

You will need to specify the location (~/Downloads/) and file name of the actual file.

rondo2kg

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
help if possible!

when i try to unzip with the archive utility thing it says "unable to unarchive jayz bp3 full album.zip into jayz bp3 album" (error 1- operation not permitted)

wht does this mean??

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
when i try to unzip with the archive utility thing it says "unable to unarchive jayz bp3 full album.zip into jayz bp3 album" (error 1- operation not permitted)

wht does this mean??

1) file is corrupted.
2) file is encrypted(zip password)
3) no write acces on the file(destination location)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.