Wired has story/Rumor about next gen Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Primbs, May 19, 2009.

1. Primbs macrumors newbie

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/next-gen-iphone-specs-launch-date-revealed/

# 32GB and 16GB storage (up from the current 16GB and 8GB models)
    # $199 and $299 price points to be maintained
    # 3.2-megapixel camera (up from the current 2-megapixel camera)
    # Video-recording and editing capabilities
    # Ability to send a picture & video via MMS
    # Discontinuation of the metal band surrounding the edge of the device
    # OLED screen
    # 1.5 times the battery life of the current models
    # Double the RAM and processing power
    # Built-in FM transmitter

And there is more.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

# 1.5 times the battery life of the current models
    # Double the RAM and processing power

This would be enough for me to purchase a new one. The rest are just perks. The rubber backing interests me also depending on how it feels to the touch.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

hahaha... i don't buy this.
    The reason this works for the notebooks is because it uses the light from the screen. But in the phone, there is a lot of stuff between the screen and the back of the phone.

4. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

that is reason enough for me to buy. i love how the pricing will stay the same. screwing over everyone who bought a 16gb which is now only 200$ haha.

the glowing logo isnt gonna happen and i doubt the OLED would either. everything else seems like it could happen. Im stoked and waiting in line either way. yay for apple launch days!:D

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'm in line now.....

I would ruin my shorts if this thing actually had an OLED screen and maintained the current price points.

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Updating a product a year later is hardly screwing anyone over... Tech advances, things get cheaper.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I can't see how this iPhone is going to be a big upgrade to the hardware. I think most of the updates will be through the 3.0 software and perhaps 2 hardware changes, but to keep the App Store thriving, they should keep the hardware specs about the same. Just my opinion. Why add more RAM if we can't run apps in the background anyway?

8. henchosbandito macrumors member

Seems like there is somewhat of a contradiction in spec - between OLED screen and 1.5 times battery life.

Until very recently (im talking within the last couple of days), OLED screens were seen to use a considerable amount more energy than LCD screens. It is primarily for this reason that (until now) OLED screens were not really seen as large scale replacements for LCD.

So, either Apple has introduced both an OLED screen as well as an IMMENSELY improved battery (which is unlikely), or they have done one of the two. There seems to be little logic in Apple doing both. It would make a tonne more sense for them to keep the LCD screen but introduce a greatly improved battery. This alone for me, would be enough for an upgrade - battery life is my main grievance with my 3G.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

To keep the apps we do have from crashing all the time. It will also help out safari a lot.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

This looks more like a wish-list rather than real specs. Hehe. Then again, that's what we said when 3.0 details came out a few days before the 3.0 showing.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Wow. My wallet just went sentient on me and jumped out of my pocket and landed open with my debit card sticking out. :eek:

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

14. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Damn, they had me going there for a minute. I don't think we will see OLED in this gen of iPhone, and I don't think we will ever see a FM transmitter.

15. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

The wireless chip that has been strongly rumored to be in the next phone has FM built in. It's just a matter of if Apple decides to use it or not.

16. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I also find it interesting that Wired thinks that would be a minor upgrade, what qualifies as a major upgrade?

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No word on whether the GPU, or the GPS got upgraded. No word on Nike+ integration. Did they just get /.'d?

18. ppool123 macrumors newbie

As someone said this is a wish list. I bet this will not happen. Too much too soon, and unlike apple.

19. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

I'm pretty sure one of the main OLED selling points is the lower power use. There's no need for backlight with them. They are also thinner and have much better color reproduction and stronger contrast. The reason for being so expensive I always thought was that the tech is still young and probably don't have yield rates good enough.

Anyways, I've seen what the OLED screen looks like on Samsung 8300, and it literally shames my Ipod Touch screen so much that I can't wait to get Iphone if they really put such screen on it.

20. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

And that phone costs ¢350

21. bigchief macrumors 6502a

The two biggest reasons for using OLED would be less power use and longer life. I don't look for it on the next iphone. Maybe next year.

22. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

That phone, unlocked, sells for about as much as Iphone unlocked, in Europe. It also has 8MP camera. Both were around 400 euros. The point is not that its better phone than Iphone (I used it and I don't think it is) but that it's not *that* expensive. There were other more expensive phones to buy which didn't have OLED screen.

23. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

The apple on the back of the phone is very small. All that would be needed is just a single LED behind the apple.

Yeah I'm with you. I'm pretty sure OLED is much more energy efficient than LCD screens. Can't wait for TV's to go OLED and come down in price. ($2500 for an 11" is nuts.)

24. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I saw another article like that and it talked about cosmetic changes too. Take it for what it's worth

http://www.i4u.com/article24889.html

25. svndmvn Guest

The Samsung i8910 is also available for about 50€ less than an iPhone, full touch, symbian, oled etc, more comparable to the iPhone