Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcz51221zz

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
This article illustrates what truly seperates Apple Watch from the competition. The amount of resources and time poured into making it "just right" is something that everyone else hasn't done or possibly ever match in terms of effort.

It's the super picky, anal rentiveness of people like Jobs and now Ive, that produces great products. Obsessiveness can be a good thing sometimes!

I think that's what people don't get, is that it allows you to not be a slave to checking your phone all the time. It's kinda like your email. Being able to filter out the non-important stuff and reading the ones that matter is a great productivity and time management tool. The Apple Watch will do the same.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Great article, fascinating insights, although it obviously sanctioned by Apple PR and in some cases it shows (e.g. total ignoring of the battery life question).
What was the battery life question? I read the article and missed it.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
What was the battery life question? I read the article and missed it.

Yeah, what question are you expecting? We already know about battery life, Apple has been very clear about it, and there is no controversy or anything.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Yeah, what question are you expecting? We already know about battery life, Apple has been very clear about it, and there is no controversy or anything.

My point is only to acknowledge that it is not a coincidence that a) this is an article entirely sanctioned by Apple PR and b) it doesn't use the word "battery" once.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
My point is only to acknowledge that it is not a coincidence that a) this is an article entirely sanctioned by Apple PR and b) it doesn't use the word "battery" once.
It doesn't mention health sensors once, either. Or the S1 chip. I think you're overthinking this one. There's no conspiracy here. The article is about design and interface, not the internals of the device. Battery life is 18 hours, and there's nothing more to say.

The article is full of enlightening information, and surprisingly in opposition to how Apple has marketed the Watch thus far; the design team reveals their goal was to "free us from our phones", yet Apple has deliberately avoided using that as a sales pitch in marketing materials or either of the two Keynotes.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
romanticized but still dumb. the watch will make you more chained/enslaved to your iphone

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
It doesn't mention health sensors once, either. Or the S1 chip. I think you're overthinking this one. There's no conspiracy here. The article is about design and interface, not the internals of the device. Battery life is 18 hours, and there's nothing more to say.

The article is full of enlightening information, and surprisingly in opposition to how Apple has marketed the Watch thus far; the design team reveals their goal was to "free us from our phones", yet Apple has deliberately avoided using that as a sales pitch in marketing materials or either of the two Keynotes.

Yeah I was surprised by that too.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
romanticized but still dumb. the watch will make you more chained/enslaved to your iphone
If you're a person that currently ignores their phone for hours on end, then yes, the watch would make you more chained/enslaved. But I don't think that's very many people. If you're a person who's constantly babysitting their phone in anticipation of time-sensitive notifications, then the watch will be freeing.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
WIRED Secret History of the Apple Watch

One thing that I believe that really will have a positive affect if the watch succeeds is the home automation market. This market is there for the taking with Smartthings struggling with performance issues, Google fluttering around with Nest, .etc. If Apple can make the wearables market mainstream, it lends itself very nicely to the Home Automation market. Unlocking your doors, turning on your TV, turning on and off lights from your watch makes home automation easy to do. Apple can build upon HomeKit with third party hardware and their own Apple TV to revolutionize HA and the TV markets all at once. Then they set their sights on the car market. Their strategy to grow seems clear. I believe in them so much that I just bought 10k worth of stock today. Probably won't make much but I can see their stock reaching $200 at some point.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
One thing that I believe that really will have a positive affect if the watch succeeds is the home automation market. This market is there for the taking with Smartthings struggling with performance issues, Google fluttering around with Nest, .etc. If Apple can make the wearables market mainstream, it lends itself very nicely to the Home Automation market. Unlocking your doors, turning on your TV, turning on and off lights from your watch makes home automation easy to do. Apple can build upon HomeKit with third party hardware and their own Apple TV to revolutionize HA and the TV markets all at once. Then they set their sights on the car market. Their strategy to grow seems clear. I believe in them so much that I just bought 10k worth of stock today. Probably won't make much but I can see their stock reaching $200 at some point.

We're already controlling our irrigation system, our lighting, and our thermostats via apps on iPhone. The Watch just makes this more convenient.

I see this being a big draw.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
We're already controlling our irrigation system, our lighting, and our thermostats via apps on iPhone. The Watch just makes this more convenient.

I see this being a big draw.

I am a huge HA guy and have been holding out from buying a Pebble for the last 2 years for something better and I am glad I waited. My co worker has been controlling his Vera HA system from his Pebble and loves it. I use Smartthings and have everything from lights, locks, irrigation, blinds integrated. I can't tell you how great this will be when apps start coming out for the watch.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
How Samsung designs a watch:

- Give it more RAM
- Give it 20 cores
- Curve the screen
- Make the screen 4k even though its 1" big
- The battery life will be an hour, but that will be good enough

Next year
- Give it even more RAM
- Give it 40 cores

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

One thing I didn't like about the article was Pierce referring to the iPhone and saying it's "ruining our lives" (or that's what Apple thinks). Sure Apple hopes the Watch will free people from constantly pulling their phone out of their pocket or handbag but I doubt any Apple executive thinks the iPhone is "ruining our lives". Of course its a fine balancing act talking up the Watch without it looking like you're talking down the iPhone. But it's something I think Apple has to nail.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I am a huge HA guy and have been holding out from buying a Pebble for the last 2 years for something better and I am glad I waited. My co worker has been controlling his Vera HA system from his Pebble and loves it. I use Smartthings and have everything from lights, locks, irrigation, blinds integrated. I can't tell you how great this will be when apps start coming out for the watch.

We're getting all our blinds automated now. Just got the first set going. Locks are next. I love HA. It's like I live on the Starship Enterprise!

;)

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
WIRED Secret History of the Apple Watch

We're getting all our blinds automated now. Just got the first set going. Locks are next. I love HA. It's like I live on the Starship Enterprise!

;)

We love our Somfy motors, but they are expensive. The problem with HA today is there is no affordable, user friendly hub available for the non-technical people. I am hoping Apple changes that with HomeKit one day.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This article illustrates what truly seperates Apple Watch from the competition. The amount of resources and time poured into making it "just right" is something that everyone else hasn't done or possibly ever match in terms of effort.

Most dedicated engineers and designers do that kind of extra tweaking, but without bragging.

It's the super picky, anal rentiveness of people like Jobs and now Ive, that produces great products. Obsessiveness can be a good thing sometimes!

Or it can be bad. If you're trying to decide what vibration feels the most like something, to the most people, a group decision would be far better.

I think that's what people don't get, is that it allows you to not be a slave to checking your phone all the time. It's kinda like your email. Being able to filter out the non-important stuff and reading the ones that matter is a great productivity and time management tool. The Apple Watch will do the same.

Yep, that's why a lot of people have been using wearables for years.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
We love our Somfy motors, but they are expensive. The problem with HA today is there is no affordable, user friendly hub available for the non-technical people. I am hoping Apple changes that with HomeKit one day.

Somfy over here, too. We're looking for more affordable outlets to purchase. My husband likes to install them himself.

Even if you're technical, there's still the affordability issue.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
APPLE DECIDED TO make a watch and only then set out to discover what it might be good for (besides, you know, displaying the time). “There was a sense that technology was going to move onto the body,” says Alan Dye, who runs Apple’s human interface group. “We felt like the natural place, the place that had historical relevance and significance, was the wrist."

This is the problem with the apple watch, Steve jobs him self said this is what not to do when he saved Apple from failing in the 90's. You have to find a problem to fix, not create somthing and try to find what it could fix. The apple watch fixes nothing, it's cool but for the masses an irrelevant product.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
This is the problem with the apple watch, Steve jobs him self said this is what not to do when he saved Apple from failing in the 90's. You have to find a problem to fix, not create somthing and try to find what it could fix. The apple watch fixes nothing, it's cool but for the masses an irrelevant product.

If this could get half the people I know to stop staring at their phones though lunch or dinner it will be a huge success. It is too easy to open the phone and get caught up in other things.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm...

https://mobile.twitter.com/bxchen/status/583662201661030400
Re: Kevin Lynch the "bozo" - my understanding is he's brilliant, and Jobs tried to poach him. Flash vs Apple campaign was a marketing stunt

And Gruber is laughably claiming he didn't call him a bozo saying on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/gruber/status/583783154592440321?s=1
@zzarrillo To be very clear, I did not say he was a bozo, I said there was a case to be made that he was. Big difference.

Sorry John everyone knows what you meant. You can stand by what you originally wrote but Flash is dead, get over it.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008

It fixes a lot, didn't you read the article?

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Hmm...

And Gruber is laughably claiming he didn't call him a bozo saying on Twitter:

Sorry John everyone knows what you meant. You can stand by what you originally wrote but Flash is dead, get over it.

He can dish out the claim chowder but can't handle it when someone serves up a bowl of his own chowder. :rolleyes:

I listened to one of his podcasts about the Apple Watch but he'd rather use that podcast time to spend 30 minutes talking about baseball. It was a huge, waste of time.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Wired don't scrimp on the point size, do they? Anyway...

The interface would determine whether the Watch ended up displayed in a dozen museums or remembered as Apple’s biggest flop since the Newton.

...those two fates are by no means mutually exclusive. Surely the more successful the device, the less likely it is to end up in a museum within the next few decades?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.