Wireless Keyboard or Wired?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Josheua, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Josheua macrumors regular

Guys, I wanted to know if you prefered the wireless or wired keyboard that apple recently released. I am sure most of you have had experience with either or. Tell me which one you would get if you were looking for something you could use for reports and such. Would appreciate the advice.

-Josh :apple:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The wireless is great. Light and small, with good key feel.

3. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I messed around with the wired when they first came out. If you like the MacBook keyboard, you will love it. It's perfect, it's big and comfortable.

I'd personally buy a wireless and I use the one on my dad's 24" iMac. It's awesome, so small and you can carry it easily. I'd use it with my MacBook Pro, but you don't have as many function keys and you have to use the numbers up top. I don't mind, I'm always on a laptop keyboard anyways.

Go for wireless if you don't mind the smaller keyboard.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I've got the wired and love it. Never tried the wireless, but the only real difference is it 1) isn't wired 2) doesn't have the numerical pad and 3) doesn't have USB ports, which don't work with anything less than an aluminum iMac anyway.

5. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

It depends if you need the numerical pad capability. I have the wired version and love it.

6. tnsxsear macrumors member

So where is the best/cheapest place to find the wireless keyboard and mouse? :)

7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I use both wired and wireless. For sitting at a desk, wired is very nice and lower profile and keys are spaced a little nicer. For lounging on a couch and glancing at a screen, wireless is perfect. So for me, the decision comes down to only one question: in what position will you be using it. I am speaking about the new design mac keyboards primarily but pretty much same for any.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I tried. Both and they both feel the same but for me the keypad is crucial due to my work mostly so until they release a wireless with keypad I'm sticking to the old one. Both new ones feel great to me.

9. fr33 loader macrumors regular

The reason I got the wired keyboard is the 2 USB ports built-in. I hate going to the back of my iMac just for those USB ports. I have a wireless mouse but have a wired keyboard. Its all up to what you need.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is my setup as well, although for me the keypad played an important role in the decision as well.

11. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm forced to use both every day. The wireless one is completely worthless to me without the numeric keypad.

12. admiraldennis macrumors regular

I absolutely hate bluetooth mice (the lag is horrific) but bluetooth I see no difference with Bluetooth keyboards.

That said, I only used wired because they are cheaper and I'm at desks anyway.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Theres really no logical point to get the wireless one if you are just going to have it on the desk. Its smaller, the keys are non-standard size, and theres no num-pad. Plus it really sucks when you come across poorly thought out programs that require the numpad.

For a desktop I would go with the wired without question. If the wireless one wasnt gimped in functionality then it would probably be better, otherwise its more of a living room mediacenter keyboard.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Why doesnt apple make the wired one availale in wireless. I love the wired one, but don't like the cord :mad:

15. ivan1234 macrumors regular

wireless for so many reasons :D (looks better, smaller, no cable clutter, manuverable, etc. etc.) :D

16. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I have both. I use the corded keyboard with my PC (non-Mac) at work. Well, even if I had an iMac at work, I'd use the corded keyboard for the same reasons. I get the numerical keypad + the USB ports. At home I use a wireless keyboard because I prefer the VERY light keyboard on my lap vs. the hot MB sitting on my lap. I also have my MB connected to my Plasma TV... so sometimes I'm across the room with my keyboard... while my MB and 42" TV are on the other side of the room. With this scenario I also use the wireless mouse.

I love having the SAME feel at work... and at home (whether on the MB itself... or using the wireless keyboard). I love the flat keys.

The lightness of the wireless keyboard will amaze you. It's soooo small and light. Crazy. My friend in another country (I sent him one) says it is like magic. haha

17. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I love being able to just set a wireless keyboard in my lap and watch TV and type at the same time...plus the new ones are smaller, lighter and amazing...I've always been a fan of wireless, though, so perhaps I'm bias.

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The wireless one is amazing, the wired one is just a pretty nice keyboard...

19. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I have the old white fullsized wireless keyboard, and owning the MacBook I don't think I'd ever swap this for a keyboard without the deep keys.

I use it on a desk a lot and like the height of this keyboard, and from the look of it the new keyboard has to be different. I've yet to try it though.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't notice any lag with my bluetooth mighty mouse. It's my first wireless mouse and I think it's great.

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately there is lag when used with other bluetooth stuff like headphones...

22. atthecross macrumors 6502

I go wired keyboard (must have a num pad wireless does not have one) and wireless mouse (the short cord on the new mouse is good in theory but I could never get the stinkn' curl out of the wire and it was constantly going under the mouse

23. Tom J macrumors regular

Crap, I didn't think of the short cable. I'm doing just the opposite, wireless kybd, and wired mouse. How short is the mouse cable? Long enough to go into the back of a 24" a foot and a half away?

24. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

no.

but i really do recommend the wireless mouse

I got my first one when apple first released them, and cant stand wired mice ever since.

get both, its really an amazing experience

BT new Keyboard, and BT MM is what I;m running right now

25. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Never noticed any lag with my MS Intellimouse BT.

If the wireless keyboard had a numpad I'd consider it, but as it doesn't I'm sticking with the wired.