Wisdom teeth extraction with no insurance FTL

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Aug 2, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Yay, I get to have my wisdom teeth out next Friday. Since I have no insurance, I'll be awake to save $440 on general anesthetic...

Luckily I only have three wisdom teeth--two of them are growing in straight and will be easy extractions, but I've got one really badly impacted one coming in at a 45 degree angle towards my teeth about to undo all my braces work on the bottom...boooo

I'll find out the exact prices tomorrow, they said depending on how badly impacted the teeth are they can range from $184-$700 per tooth.

FTL

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

3. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I was awake when I had mine pulled. The crunching sounds are the worst part of it. Plus when the Doc has to get a good grip, you might get a face full of crotch. Good luck man.

4. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

This post had me shudder and laugh at the same time. So how was the pain during the process?

5. Big Dave macrumors 6502

The pain is not bad because they do give you a local. The most painful part of it was a few days later when I noticed a strong sensitivity to hot and cold in those areas.

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Not in America. I have Japanese national health insurance, but their dentistry is quite a few years behind the west, and given my prior experience there and their seeming reluctance to even want to touch my wisdom teeth, I'd rather shell out the cash for oral surgery here while I'm on vacation in America.

It sucks, and I could get it done there, but I would be much more comfortable doing oral surgery here.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I was awake during the operation, too. It wasn't that bad - I couldn't remember much of it. I was pumped full of valium prior to the actual pulling. :D

8. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

OMG for the love of god get a loan and have them knock you out!!!

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Luckily I got the anestisia method. Sound asleep and just woke up to numbness and a bit of pain.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Something tells me you should sell something you've bought that you don't need and get knocked out.

11. _Matt macrumors 6502

I got four out at once (two seriously impacted) under IV anesthesia. I was out for four days and it got painful even with prescribed painkillers as a bonus post-op.

Do yourself a favor and please find a way to get some form of anesthesia. It helps the doctor perform faster and efficiently and therefore makes your recovery more pleasant.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I guess the putting you under thing is a recent development. I had mine out (4) in 93 - valium, 8 shots of novocaine, and all the gas I wanted. Felt nothing.

13. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Cocaine and booze will get you through it, bro. ;)

14. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I was knocked out with mine. I didn't have any pain afterward really, I went out the same night and ate steak. Also, I didn't even touch the pain pills.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Had all 4 of mine pulled out 20 years ago under local only. Its not that bad. It hurt like a bitch later but some Tylenol 3s took the edge off the pain. The sounds were a bit unnerving. Be a man about it and you'll be fine.

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

WTF?! i have dental insurance! I was wide awake when I had mines pulled out!!!!! Some people are cowards....:D jk it does hurt

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was awake for mine as well. However, I was pumped full of nitrous oxide and really didn't care about anything.

18. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I had three taken out under local anesthetic and it wasn't that bad. This was in the pre-HIV awareness era (1983) and the doc didn't wear an eye shield.

Dale (we are both alive)

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I'll just add that my wife gave birth to our first child with no anesthetic at all. If she can do that, you can lose a few teeth. ;)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is such a thing as being penny wise and pound foolish. If I were you, I'd spend the 440 dollars on general anesthetic. There's a reason why they knock people out to extract impacted wisdom teeth - its incredibly painful.

21. ethical macrumors 68000

He's having a local....so there is some form of anesthetic. He just won't be completely knocked out.

22. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I had mine out with a general and felt pretty lousy afterwards.

Then i thought to my self; why don't i stop being sore and start being more awesome.barney stinson
    And it worked, started feeling better and recovered real quick.

So my advice to you would be to go into with positive thoughts about how awesome you are and it shouldn't be a problem.

23. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

$1205 with local, $1649 with general.

Stayin' awake I is!

Next Friday booo

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was awake. It was fine. Honestly, it's not bad at all. I've been through a hell of a lot worse things with my teeth.

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Peoples personal experiences with dental SURGERY like this is to always be taken with a grain of salt.

Everyone has different teeth. Every age group has different issues with wisdom teeth that can cause more or less pain than another group. Dental hygiene and upkeep also play a big role.

I really get miffed when I read things like this asking what itll be like, and people go all over the place in their experiences like what happened to YOU could possibly be corollary to this person. At least to the extent that people seem to speak about their experience like it was the only way it could happen.