Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Feb 20, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm in the middle of working on a what should be a fun(and probably frustrating) project with one of my Quicksilvers.

Those of you who have been around this forum for a while might recognize something in the below photo, although never in one of my pictures before.

The hard drive is currently in another Quicksilver-it has a fresh Leopard install, and I'm running software update and going to install a few other programs before I run the installer to install the kexts to make this work.

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Fingers crossed!

3. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Oh Very Nice :) you should pop the heat sink off redo the thermal paste and check what speed the CPUs are actually rated for as I know gigadesgines likes to install lower speed CPUs then factory OC them (I have a 7455B CPU upgrade from them like that it was sold as 1.4Ghz but it has a 1.25Ghz Chip the fastest iv been able to push it was 1.6Ghz at voltages id prolly get shot for :p (1.85-1.95) but it was not stable like that how ever it does run nicely at 1.5Ghz 1.65V heh

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Eyoungren told me that he redid the paste with Artic Silver 5 not too terribly long ago, although it probably wouldn't hurt to do it again.

It's a pair of 7447As that I think are clocked at 1.4ghz. He shipped it to me set at 1.6ghz and 1.5V, which seems like a nice conservative value and also which he told me was fairly stable when he last used it.

Once I finish bringing Leopard up to date, I'll boot it up and see what happens :)

5. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

oh cool sounds very nice :). if its not stable at 1.5V when at 1.6Ghz maybe u can try bumping the voltage up a bit like 1.6V or 1.65V (But don't go nuts like I did thats just asking for something to fry LOL Do as I say not as I do as they say :p ) also Make sure to have any needed software installed I know my 7455B CPU upgrade was plug and play but I cant recall if the 7447As needed additional software I do remember something being mentioned about it

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

What are you doing?

Orange heatsink with two fans...?

7. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The additional software is part of the fun of installing it :)

The firmware must be updated in the target system to allow the processor to work.

You then have to transfer the boot drive over to another computer and install the additional kexts to allow OS X to boot successfully with the processor.

As I said, I'm in the process now of doing all the software updates(and installing my usual complement of software) on the fresh Leopard install in the "victim" as I've been warned that anything which messes with the boot caches will mess up these kexts and force you to start from square one.

I also replaced the PRAM battery in the "victim"(I picked up a bunch this week for $2 each at a Radio Shack liquidation sale) since I've been warned that anything which messes with the PRAM necessitates a repeat of this process.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've just hit-and cleared-what will probably be the first of many SNAFUs I'll encounter along the way.

Updating the firmware, of course, require pressing the programmer's button on the front of the computer. I've done this many times for firmware updates on various G3s and G4s, but never on a Quicksilver. I'm familiar with the distinctive tone that the computer makes, and the overall process of it.

The programmer's button on the Quicksilver is TINY and recessed-small enough that it requires a paper clip or some other tool to press(I almost went and dug out the box for my iPhone 3GS to get the SIM eject tool out of it :) ). In any case, when doing the firmware update, I thought I'd pressed the button, although the computer didn't make the tone I usually associate with pressing the button. The computer booted to a purple screen and gave me some text about the firmware update stopping and that it would boot in 30 seconds. I took this to mean that the firmware update was successful, so I proceeded on with installing the processor and running the software updates on another computer.

I figured while the software update was running, it wouldn't hurt to boot the "victim" and make sure I at least get a chime and get it to boot to the flashing folder. Unfortunately, it wouldn't do that. I tinkered with raising and lowering the voltage, as well as the clock speed, but couldn't get anywhere. Finally, I decided that maybe I hadn't updated the firmware correctly.

So, the factory processor(or actually my upgraded factory processor) and heatsink went back in, and the computer booted right back up. I shut down the computer I'm using for software installation after one cycle of updates, pulled the hard drive out, and put it back in the "victim." I ran the firmware tool again, and then started the computer up making sure I was pushing the programmer's button firmly. I got the expected result-a long tone, the power LED flashing rapidly, and then a reboot followed by a message on the screen that the firmware update had been successful.

So, now I'm back to installing software updates. I did at least get the computer to chime with the Gigadesigns processor installed, so I have high hopes that I'm at least getting somewhere :).

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, the button is small. I used a pencil.

Now, imagine zapping PRAM, or the boot caches going corrupt. Yay, you get to do it AGAIN! :D

Glad to hear you're moving along though.

With the dual in, after you've updated the firmware, but before installing the kexts the Mac will chime and boot (assuming the processors have sufficient power) but you will kernel panic before getting to the login screen.

10. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I still don't know what you all are talking about!
    Are you upgrading the processor or something??

11. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Something like that :)

It's a Gigadesigns processor card with dual 7447A processors. It's advertised as 1.8ghz, but with the DIP switches can be set to run at anywhere from 1.6 to 2ghz.

The previous owner(who has posted to this thread) has told me that it is tough to get to run stably at 1.8ghz, and he was never able to get it up to 2ghz. I'll just be happy if I can get it going it 1.6 for the time being.

By the way, for those keeping track, I've run into my second issue, although this time totally unrelated to the processor. I had the boot drive in dual 1ghz(factory) Quicksilver to bring everything up to date and install the processor kexts. The first round of updates-the 10.5.8 combo update and the Itunes update-went fine. I then proceeded with the second round-which includes the most recent security update for 10.5.8 and a whole bunch of other stuff. After downloading and installing that, the computer would kernel panic on booting. I currently have it booted off the 10.5 install disk and am attempting a permissions repair before I do an archive and install...

I'm not really sure what happened. I've run the Leopard updates so many times that I just about have the sequence of them memorized, but have never seen this particular issue-especially not on a computer that even officially supports Leopard.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know what to suggest if Leopard is crashing. I'll just mention that when I flashed the ROM and installed this processor it was well after having performed any system updates.

The only reason I had issues with boot caches corrupting things later on is because I added things that affected the Mac. A BT adapter and a Ralink wireless connector, neither of which worked at the time.

But essentially, I had a complete setup before starting.

13. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Copper in 'nerdspeak' :D

14. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Well, I think I've hit problem #3.

I did a fresh Leopard install, brought it up to date, then ran the Gigadesigns installer(Giga-meter). I didn't let it boot in the host system(maybe I should have), and then transferred the drive over to the computer with the Gigadesigns processor.

It seems to hang at the Apple. I doesn't boot to the point where I even get the spinning indicator under the Apple. I let it sit like this for a while, and it didn't go anywhere. Heat doesn't seem to be an issue, as the heatsink remains cool to the touch.

I've tinkered with the voltage over the full range I have jumper settings for(1.35V to 1.65V) and nothing made a difference.

I then set it back to 1.5V, and bumped the speed to 1.73ghz. I didn't get anywhere with this-all I got was a black screen, and the LED on my mouse never turned on. I again tinkered with the voltage over the full range, and got the same result.

15. eyoungren, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, that sounds like my experience.

It sometimes 'catches' and boots, but more than often not. That just reinforced my decision to leave the Mac running all the time. Once you can get it to boot, warm reboots aren't a problem. It's just cold boots.

Here's something to try.

Power on. Give it a moment to see if it works. If it does NOT, then press and hold the power button to shut down. The MOMENT the computer shuts off, press the power button again to turn power back on.

Sometimes multiple presses of the reset button while power is on works too.

I think you are now experiencing my pain. :D

P.S. Try flashing the ROM again if all it does is hang.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Booting your QuickSilver is about the same process as starting a carbureted vehicle in the cold. Pump the gas, push the power button.

17. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Install requirements for Leopard are 512MB RAM and a 867MHz processor. How is that QS not supported??

18. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think you need to read my statement again...

19. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

In any case, I seem to be continuing to have problems with the Leopard install(I actually didn't do it originally) so decided that a clean erase and install might be a safer bet.

I'm doing that now, but in the mean time decided that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and repaste the CPUs. I had to go and dig out the point spanners I bought several years back when I was dabbling in camera repair to remove two of the screws(apparently GigaDesigns really didn't intend for these to be user serviceable) but otherwise had no trouble with the process.

I thought folks might be interested in seeing the clean CPUs to see what makes this upgrade "tick."

Attached Files:

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

They're overclocking them a lot from the factory. Photo shows it to be a 1.25GHz CPU...

:eek:

21. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

whoa 1.25Ghz CPUs!!! No wonder it has issues and to think they sold that saying its 1.8Ghz did they ship it set to 1.8ghz? I find it funny as I basically have the single 7455B version of that CPU upgrade again my chip is 1.25Ghz but factory OCed to 1.4Ghz and I have it at 1.5Ghz and the highest it will go and still boot is 1.6Ghz but its not very stable that highly clocked (on a 100Mhz Bus on my sawtooth I run out of multipliers at 16X :p )

Attached Files:

22. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I really hope sonnet cards aren't this hard to setup...

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

They aren't. And you don't need to flash the ROM either. They just 'work'.

24. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The seller was going to take the money I spent on this and go shopping for a better Sonnet than the one he has now for that exact reason.

FWIW, this is the second after-market CPU upgrade I've installed. The first was a FastMac G4 upgrade for the B&W G3. There was a firmware upgrade for these that is necessary for one version of OS 9 to work, and that firmware upgrade locked out the ability for the B&Ws to recognize a G4 processor. The Fastmac processor came with a firmware upgrade that unlocked the firmware for a G4 to work. Once that was done, the processor dropped in and has been 100% reliable since then. I did have to change jumpers on the board to get the processor up to its fully rated clock speed, but the computer would have been fine if I hadn't done that.

The Gigadesigns is a different story...

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm sorry Bunns. That thing is a real hassle to get working right.