Wishlist for iTunes 7.0

Labi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
As far as I know, to display the album cover in iTunes you have to drag and drop the image into iTunes, is that correct? Now, wouldn't it be more convenient that the iTunes displays the cover which is in the folder together with the songs. Windows media Player can do that, why can't iTunes.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'd like to browse albums by album art in iTunes and on the iPod.

Other than that, perhaps the oft-mentioned gapless playback and graphical equalizers.

I'd like to see adjustable sound check levels and on-the-fly compression of older source material like Sinatra recordings, etc. Multiple libraries, more powerful management of duplicate songs and adjustable font sizes.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
It should support FLAC and SHN at the very least, and TTA and APE ideally. =\

(and if the iTMS had > 128k bitrate, I might consider purchases there, even if I had to pay a bit more).

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I still want the same as I wanted for iTunes 5 back in February:

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
1. The ability to "merge" files [manually], so that if you have the same song on two or more albums (e.g. the original album, a collection and a compilation) you only need one physical file, and link to that from all places (thus also updating a common playcount etc for the song nomatter which album you're listening to). Having multiple instances of the same object is bad database design...

2. Better and more specialiced conditions e.g. the ability to say (A and B) or (C and D) or (E and F), without making three helping playlists and on random playlists the ability to say (like in Party Shuffle) "play higher rated songs more often".

3. Playlists in folders (like iPhoto).

4. The possibility to split tracks and remove parts (to seperate and identify bonus tracks, without having to have two instances - this problem is not that unlike #1) - or at least that when you set a Start Time or Stop Time in the option for a track that the iPod also gets (and reacts to) that information - its very annoying when I've "cut" away a bit of a track, and it sounds like I want it in iTunes, but NOT on my iPod mini (might be an iPod problem, but I had to get it off my chest )

5. Continious play (for albums like Pink Floyd "The Wall") without making the intire album into one track.

6. That iTunes recognices CD-Rs longer than 74 minutes, so you can burn 80 min CDs.

7. The ability to have an album connected to the main artist, but still mark collabarations with "Artist1 feat. Artist2" or "Artist3 with Artist4" and let them show up when you browse Artist1, -2, -3 or -4, respectivly. Now it will make a new arist (an folder) with "Artist1 feat. Artist2" and if you choose Artist1 and than the album, that track will not show in the browser...

8. Artwork seperated from the music files (in its own metafile?) and just linked in, it takes very much unnecessary space to have the image included into evey songs file (at least with larger scans). Again poor database design...
Apart from the introduction of folders (which isn't even springloaded) both iTunes 5 and 6 ( :rolleyes: ) has been very disappointing.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
The same things keep cropping up because Apple never seems to implement the features that people want (every new feature seems to involve the music store, not surprisingly!).

I would like some of the following:

1. The ability to select certain consecutive tracks to flow into each other like they often do on a CD. The crossfade option doesn't work properly, even when set to zero seconds. (Apparently, a technical part of the AAC/MP3 format might prevent this from becoming reality).
  2. Simple editing of tracks - e.g. to seperate the secret song into a seperate track and to cut (rather than just set the end point) a track down to size. You can use Garageband for this, but it's a hassle.
  3. An updated visualiser that doesn't break all of Mac OS X's rules in full screen mode. (I know you can download 3rd party ones but none seem to be as good).
  4. Better handling of videos
  5. An option to be asked which audio format you wish to import in when you press the import button and also similar options for disc burning. I occasionally change the setting from AAC to AIFF for other work and then forget to change it back! Since iTunes 5 this has been made worse by the grouping of these options under the 'Advanced' tab.
  6. Ability to manually arrange playlists in the source list, like in iPhoto. Currently they are all in alphabetical order.
  7. Cocoa program please! This is not absolutely vital, but it would be nice at least to see the menus update in real time not after you click the OK button.
  8. Nitpicking but options for turning on/off podcasts, music store, videos, radio, etc should all be under the same preference tab - it's unintuitive to have some under the general and some under the parental controls tabs.
  9. More communication with other iLife, and Mac programs. I want iTunes to stop playing when I start an iPhoto slideshow with music (like iChat conferencing does) and I want iTunes volume settings to carry across into iDVD and iPhoto.

That said, iTunes is pretty good. Most of my things are bugs rather than new features, but what it does do, it does pretty well.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Gapless playback.

I can reencode all my stuff to something iTunes compatible, just give me gapless playback ffs.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
Lacero said:
I'd like to browse albums by album art in iTunes and on the iPod.
I made a ton of feature requests for it and so did my friends, so hopefully Apple will listen to us.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Being able to select more than one playlist at a time, to drag to iPods.

Better video support.

Browsing by album art, a la Cover Flow.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I still want the same as I wanted for iTunes 5 back in February:

Apart from the introduction of folders (which isn't even springloaded) both iTunes 5 and 6 ( :rolleyes: ) has been very disappointing.

i agree with all of yours exactly, except number 6 because that works just fine for me. i can burn 80min cds with no problem.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I havent downloaded any music videos off the itunes store, but i was just thinking: "What if you could play a music video and display it where the album art is displayed?". I think that would be cool. Also, GET RID OF THE BRUSHED METAL!!!! 10.4.3 should be nothing but getting rid of the brushed metal look. I really dont like it. Im so happy every time a update comes out that add color to windows, or programs.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
cantthinkofone said:
I havent downloaded any music videos off the itunes store, but i was just thinking: "What if you could play a music video and display it where the album art is displayed?". I think that would be cool. Also, GET RID OF THE BRUSHED METAL!!!! 10.4.3 should be nothing but getting rid of the brushed metal look. I really dont like it. Im so happy every time a update comes out that add color to windows, or programs.

you can have the videos play in the album art window, and brushed metal is gone, its now a unified grey color.

for the video issue, open up the prefs and go to playback, you can change it from there

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
128Kbps encoding options for iPods other than the shuffle. I like encoding my music to 320Kbps AAC for high-quality storage but prefer iTunes to transfer a 128Kbps version to my iPods.

I don't mind if it takes longer, since my dual G5 can rip through the compression pretty fast.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Lacero said:
128Kbps encoding options for iPods other than the shuffle. I like encoding my music to 320Kbps AAC for high-quality storage but prefer iTunes to transfer a 128Kbps version to my iPods.
ah i forgot that one too!!

it would be so nice, i could use Lossless or 320 for my library then

as of right now im debating to encode at 192 or 320, but my mini would be filled so fast the 320!

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
ah i forgot that one too!!

it would be so nice, i could use Lossless or 320 for my library then

as of right now im debating to encode at 192 or 320, but my mini would be filled so fast the 320!
What I do is I encode most of my songs as 192 AACs and my favorite/most listened to songs at 320.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I would like something liek the feature in Ask the DJ where it crossfades beats really well between songs.

Also I am so ADD that I would love a feature that played the middle 30 seconds of each song and cross beat into the next one nonstop!

Also, why not integrate DVD playback as well as TV viewing if you have a TV tuner hooked up.

Also, a way to find duplicate songs and deal with them easily.

Also a visualizer with album art.

The ability to sort playlists non-alphabetically.

The option to not have videos play when playing the entire library on random.

Direct voice recording.

Improve video playback. Maybe some sort of filter that improves the quality of iTMS shows in full screen, that smooths it out.

#1 iTMS request: ability to redownload music ( a la audible.com)

this is porrly written cos it's 3 am . goodnight.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
The ability to have aliases to songs which feature on two albums, but which you only want to store once.

An "Add this to the queue" button/option. When I'm halfway through a song, I often find myself already looking for another song to listen to. Wouldn't it be ace to be able to add this to a queue to play...and then add another, and another. I know you can do this in Party shuffle, but each time you add a song it goes to the TOP which means you rarely actually hear all the songs you "request"

Uber

Salasm

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
surrounded by mods
UberMac said:
An "Add this to the queue" button/option. When I'm halfway through a song, I often find myself already looking for another song to listen to. Wouldn't it be ace to be able to add this to a queue to play...and then add another, and another.
Couldn't you already do this with a playlist? Create a new playlist, name it something like "playtemp" and add a song. Play the song from that playlist. When you select the next songs you want queued, you can right-click the song and "Add to Playlist" > "playtemp".

The "playtemp" playlist you can either delete, re-name, or clear out once you're done listening.