Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
I want the interface to work faster on PCs. But hey, I'm getting a mac soon :D.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
deejemon said:
Because that's the sucky way. To move songs around, you need to move the image file around too (not to mention the "hidden" desktop.ini file), and you can't have a different image for different songs (eg: different volumes of CD collection). Embedding it is the correct handler for it, just like other tags. Here's what the song is called, here's the artist, here's the year, and here's what it "looks" like.
It doesn't have to be the Windows implementation, but they've got the idea right. The image shouldn't be loaded into the song file. That means each track on the album has a copy of the artwork in it.

All that needs to happen is that the artwork should be kept in an artwork folder (not the 5000 artwork folders Windows likes to make) and referenced in the iTunes database. Each track would then contain only a reference to the artwork file--a few bytes rather than tens of kilobytes, reducing the size of individual files as well as removing the need for 15 copies of the artwork for a 15-track album.

When you move the file to a portable device, iTunes could then include or ignore the artwork depending on the user's preference. It does have the limitation of artwork not transfering from computer to computer (except iTMS tracks, which would ideally have a different artwork reference number that would tell iTunes to download the artwork from their server).

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
The ability to add songs automatically to my library when I copy them to my music directory, instead of having to add them manually.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
provide feedback to apple if you haven't already...

unfortunately, at this time, there is no direct feedback method for itunes, but you can this one:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

i've sent a few requests in and i urge you to do the same if you haven't already.

also, if you're on a mac, visit: http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/

for lots of scripts... ie. duplication of songs..finding album art etc..

Cheers,
Keebler

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Glen Quagmire said:
The ability to add songs automatically to my library when I copy them to my music directory, instead of having to add them manually.

If you are on a mac you can do this using applescript or automator. In automator you just use the "add files to playlist" action and set the workflow as a folder action.

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
Artwork features (as suggested by others):
  • Automatic artwork (download from Gracenote or other server?)
  • Browse by album art
  • Full-screen album art display as option in Party mode (instead of visualizer)

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Wow, old thread. I was just thinking about this the other day though.

I would like iTunes to have a queue for songs to play. Something similiar to the party shuffle, but where I can pull the next song out of a list and have a lineup ready to go.

DeFett

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Australia
1. Sub Genre option.

2. Cover artwork downloads from iTMS (I know this will never happen)

3. Being able to have no gaps between songs for certain Albums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Superdrive said:
I would like iTunes to have a queue for songs to play. Something similiar to the party shuffle, but where I can pull the next song out of a list and have a lineup ready to go.
You know you can mark any song(s), in any playlist (or the Library itself), right/ctrl-click and either Add [it] to [the bottom of] Party Shuffle or Play [it] Next in Party Shuffle, right...?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I've requested some of these, but at the iTunes music request page, so they've probably been ignored.

I'd like the option to 'always use crossfade' so that if you want to skip a track or choose something else during a party it will do so subtly.

I'd also like an option for when playing consecutive album tracks - 'ignore crossfade setting', although this might not work with the current gapped-playback system.

I like the links to the music store but does there really have to be so many arrows on the screen. How about if they were just in the artist column?

I'd like to be able to change my AirTunes speakers from the dock icon so that I don't have to bring iTunes to the front.

I'd like to be able to rate tracks with keystrokes like you can in iPhoto.

Intelligent track purchasing: if you've purchased an album, you shouldn't have to pay for the same tracks again when you want to get 'album only' tracks on a single. Same thing with buying singles before the album comes out. Make it easier to buy music spontaneously without the fear of being penalised after future releases.

Album notes for each track in the comments part of the audio file? Or a digital booklet with every purchase, so I can get the sort of information I would get from a CD? (and an elegant way of storing these in iTunes, ie, much more elegant than the current system).

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
You know you can mark any song(s), in any playlist (or the Library itself), right/ctrl-click and either Add [it] to [the bottom of] Party Shuffle or Play [it] Next in Party Shuffle, right...?
That's a great tip/hidden feature that I'm sure I would have found if I'd read any documentation. Well, since you solved that problem for me, I'd like to have it so you can party shuffle over shared libraries.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I would love to be able to buy songs from other countries. Right now your account must have a credit card issued from that country. If iTunes accepts Paypal, why can we buy songs from other countries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.