Without any real rumors and 11th hour how likely updates will be dissappointing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rawdawg, Oct 4, 2012.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I am 3 weeks away from going PC after being a hugely loyal Mac user for 25 years.

Originally I wanted a Mac Pro and waited forever only to be sorely disappointed by their update. Still no good iMac rumors that I've seen pointing at anything more than a spec bump. If that's the case I will try my hand with a PC until Apple decides to sell up to date products again.

2. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Probably just gonna be spec bumps, apple is not focusing much on their desktop range as before. Nothing too big

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

The sooner you make the switch, the sooner Apple will announce a revolutionary upgrade to the iMac and Mac Pro line-ups :D

And if you do go PC... don't bother with the Dell, HP, etc. "race to the bottom" junk, instead, build your own (or have it built to your specs by a local PC shop).

4. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

It's sad that people are being "forced" to leave. And new users are also "forced" to wait (my case).

The iMac is a stalwart Apple product. Not in terms of revenue, I know. Leaving it unattended for so long is extremely disrespectful to the thousands of clients that served them well over the years.
    If they don't care about this market, they should say it and probably lower prices, since the machine is NOT up-to-date anymore. I know it's still a great machine, but not worthy of TOP dollar right now.

A simple spec bump would be enough to quench the thirst until something revolutionary could be created.

To those (blindly) defending Apple's stance on this, I'm well aware that they are not obligated to release new and that if I don't like it I can look elsewhere. But they should.

5. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

I can relate. My 2007 iMac is starting to really show its age, especially as my kids are using it for more intensive programs than it can really handle. At some point, I'm going to have to make a move, and as much as I love iMacs, not paying for year old tech.

6. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

I would pay, but not top price, doesn't make sense.
    Take some % off and it makes it less of a steal.

I know Apple has a policy of keeping prices constant, but that shouldn't apply when you are more than one and a half years without upgrading something!

7. 435713 macrumors 6502a

It looks as if they want to get rid of their desktop line all together. 15 months on the iMac is very strange. Spec bump upgrades take no time at all. Mac Pro....yeah, I lost count.

Apple has got to be the most odd company I have ever seen in tech. Possibly of all time.

8. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

It used to be "odd" for the right reasons. Now they are basically 99% geared towards mobile stuff.
    Or, saying it clearly, geared towards where the money is. ;)

Can't really blame them, but I can dislike it as a user.

9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

It is almost certain to be disappointing.

If they give a gtx680m gpu.

If they give an i7-3770s cpu.

if they give usb-3.

still have 2 t-bolt connections.

give a 512gb ssd with a 768gb ssd option.

4 slots for ram 1600 mhz 8gb max of 32gb

which is the best they will do.

People will be disappointed that a no dvd or b you kept the dvd or c no blu ray or d you made blu ray not optional.
    People will be angry at the price or no retina or retina or no matte screen or no glossy screen.

lets face it apple users are like "spys they b!tch and moan a lot"

the quote or misquote is from burn notice. bruce campbell

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

25 years of Mac and you've actually convinced yourself the going PC is the way? Don't you see the rats fleeing the ship.

Google just overtook Microsoft in valuation. Microsoft is adrift.

#foolsparadise

11. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure what you mean. And never understood the twitter lingo. As far as rats fleeing the ship, I would say as far as desktop computing goes you may not realize which ship is sinking. Maybe you are new to Apple but they used to care about their professionals. We made their success possible.

There is no way I would buy the current Mac Pro even having waited a year for it. And I can't stomach buying a iMac based on such outdated technology. It may be useful now but the only all-in-one solution worth buying is a current one.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I hear you. I'm beginning to realize that my last chance to buy a Mac Pro class computer may be with the purported 2013 refresh. After that who knows how long workstation class hardware will be available from crApple.

I do think the iMacs will be upgraded this month quietly. All I ask for are

USB 3 ports
    Affordable SSD options
    Current GPU options

Not groundbreaking but it doesn't have to be. I'll await my Mac Pro for that.

13. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Truth is that it could be anything or nothing at this point. We don't have any real info.

14. david19801 macrumors member

No iMac this year because they want to build demand for 4k screen next year. Sorry guys, you know it's true.

15. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

The situation with the Mac Pro and iMac is certainly frustrating and Apple is certainly losing potential sales. I think this is a golden opportunity moment for Apple to seize even more of the desktop market by not only introducing a new iMac, but by widening their line some. Time will tell....

16. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

If Apple discounted current iMacs by some decent amount (20-25%?), I'd bet a lot of folks seen as bitter or "impatient" on here would not be complaining. We lovers of Macs do not want 40 variations like HP nor need constant confusing refreshes, but more than a year with same configuration and NO price reduction is pretty darn absurd and insulting to loyal customers.

If/when Apple comes out with greatest iMac ever, I'll happily eat crow, but for now it seems like they simply ain't got time for Macs when iToys (yes, I own them too) are so popular.

Anyway, just as some like to point out that Apple owes customers nada, same is true in reverse. So, going to a windows PC is a valid move as some of us find our Apple desktop options overpriced and wanting in comparison (even with the OS trade off)

17. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I am just as impatient as everyone else to see new models ... but, in all honesty, there isn't anything I do that is so "state-of-the-art" that it can't be accomplished with the current gear available or that I own (I am still using a 2008 Mac Pro as my main machine).

However ... Any business, even Apple, needs to make some profit on every computer sold. They can't build new computers and then discount them to sell at a loss. I suspect the labor to build and test the computers is a major part of the total cost. It costs Apple just as much to build a computer with the latest parts as it does to build one with existing parts ... but for some reason they can't, or aren't ready to, release one with the newer parts (possibly some new design issue).

Therefor, discounting newly built computers by 25% probably doesn't make good business sense as they would be selling at a net loss on each unit sold. Unlike most readers of this discussion board, most average consumers are happy with what is currently offered because they aren't familiar with the state of the technology available, and don't know, or care, that the computer they are buying doesn't have the latest fractional speed bump. They are the majority of Apple sales ... not us.

18. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Yeah, build your own and have all kinds of problems and blame them on the PC and Windows.

19. Juan Bernadito macrumors newbie

I got the hint with the numerous times they say "post pc era" so I'm not surprised at all its taking this long to get an iMac update or upgrade.

20. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If that were really true, then choosing Apple was just a business decision among the potential alternatives.

Then, why wouldn't the professionals simply regroup and make an alternative choice? After all, their success isn't due to Apple products.

I agree (as a stockholder) that Apple shouldn't have dropped the ball with their high end hardware and software ... but I don't think those are the products which made Apple the success that it is.

21. 435713, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

435713 macrumors 6502a

God I hate that phrase so much. There is only a pre PC era, a post PC era will never exist. Apple I guess is blind enough to think their awesome 5% marketshare and iToys will make all those Windows/linux machines go away. They can have fun with that line of thought.

I mean at this point if they are going to seriously stop making desktops because that margin isnt high enough then announce it and be done so people can move on if they are waiting and waiting.

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I realize apple is all about iPhones, tablets, etc. but how do they develop the software for those devices? What platforms are the third party apps being developed on? Doesn't apple see that a Mac is still needed, even in the post-PC era?

Apple used to be big on creativity. Now they are (like most companies) more about consuming content vs creating it.

23. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Probably best to build a Hackintosh, I'm also waiting on iMac updates, my plan is to wait till December at the most and If we don't see updates I'll have to build another Hackintosh..

I really hope Apple does check out Macrumors, I've seen plenty of people upset about this and switching back to PC due to Apple abandoning the Pro users and now possibly iMac fans..

What's scary is that there has been little to no iMac rumours, It's funny how all the other rumours came to be true, I just find it odd that nothing much about the iMac has leaked, kinda seems like there might not be any updates in October.. But I'm hoping I'm wrong..

24. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Cloud Pro (or Pro Cloud). True, the bandwidth isn't there yet, but that won't stop Apple from shifting all content and heavy processing to their data center. Our computers will become nothing but displays, hubs, and iJunk.

It will suck royally, but so does Oprah, Ricki Lake, and Judge Judy- and they've done OK for themselves.

25. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

It has been said for ages now that Apple has been abandoning their pro users and every time I read it I just thought to myself "oh you are just crying because you are impatient or want attention/free stuff" but now I actually see it. Lately the focus is just iPhone, iPad, macbook pro, iPod. All mobile stuff. Lets be honest you cannot do heavy stuff on a macbook pro. It is too limited in performance plus heating issues. I also wouldn't be silly enough to get one with an external large display vs buying a desktop or AIO.

Been using Apple since 1992 or 91 or something dunno one of the two. Using PC at same times though. Kinda sucks that they are going down this route and even the os x is turning more into iOS which i am not in favour of either. It seems even if Apple do keep their desktop pcs running that the software is being hindered too much by iOS and perhaps touch screen processes running which I would never use.

The post PC argument. I am sick of hearing that too. There will never be post PC because of people in production. As long as there are Windows/linux boxes available, they will always be bought.

I am waiting so hard for this iMac, since April actually and I want it so much but each day the tension to jumping the boarder and going into windows land is growing stronger.

I am sure Apple would lose a lot of iToy customers if they abandoned their desktop range too. In my own thoughts, I use iToys because of their seemless integration with my iDesktops. Sure they look beautiful but there is now decent competition in that market and I am not so sure I would choose iToys if I didn't have iDesktops.