Women and Apple Watches

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blg123, May 1, 2015.

1. blg123 macrumors member

I'm considering getting an Apple Watch for my wife. My concern is that she isn't always in close proximity to her iPhone. Men typically keep their iPhones in their pants pocket, so they will always get the full functionality of the Apple Watch whenever they want. It seems that women keep their's in their purse, which could be nearby (bluetooth would work), but other times, it's not (my wife leaves her purse/iPhone in different rooms in the house during the day).

How have the women out there been faring with their Apple Watches? Has this been a major issue for you?

Thanks.

2. Angeybabey macrumors newbie

I have been leaving my watch downstairs and Having no problems being upstairs. Tonight I left my phone in the kitchen and went out with my kiddos to play and it did disconnect....

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Mine disconnects far away, but it's usually fine.

4. Sparkeze macrumors 6502a

Sparkeze

I have not had a problem with it disconnecting inside my house nor in the backyard, which is closer to the kitchen. Unless your house is a sprawling ranch, it will likely stay connected in the house.

My husband's favorite feature of the watch is that I get notifications when he calls/texts. When my phone is in my purse, even with the ringer up, I usually don't hear it.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Indoors I seem to do well but I think it's because of the wifi. I take my phone around and leave it on table tops and counters inside the house on days I'm not wearing my LL Bean jeans with big pockets. I've not yet worn it while gardening because I lose my nerve since I haven't gotten a case for it yet. I haven't been over to buy Apple Care yet. When I do get around to gardening outdoors with the Apple Watch on I will have the phone on nearby tables. Or in my back pocket. It will depend on what task I'm doing.

The apple watch seems to do great even when the phone is buried in my purse.

6. rick98761 macrumors 6502

When it leaves Bluetooth range it switches to wifi. So as long as they are on the same wifi network you will be fine. The watch syncs over wifi networks it uses and any passwords needed.

7. kitkat2 macrumors member

Part of the beauty of the Apple Watch for me is that I don't have my phone on me a lot of the time. When I'm out and about and my phone is deep in my bag, and on vibrate because I forgot to switch that off, I now don't miss calls and texts. When my phone is in a different room, same thing. It's great not to be tied to the phone and still not miss the stuff I don't want to miss.

8. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I have no issues inside my house - it's one reason I got one. I'm always on call for work and get paranoid if I leave on of my phones upstairs. Now I can leave them upstairs or in the kitchen and because of my wifi coverage i'm covered all over the house and in the front and back yard. The watch has an icon will you completely disconnect so you will know if you aren't connected. It is also nice that I can leave my phone in my purse when out and still read my notifications.
    She will love it :)

Cheers,
    B

9. Zxxv Suspended

I saw this posted on arstecnica

10. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

Mine is fine around the house and garden but at work if I leave phone on desk and go too far it disconnects. I have found it saves me checking phone at work and now I tend to leave phone in my bag at work if expecting important call.

11. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Yes but some functions like taking a call are disabled on WiFi.

12. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

Not true. I've just re-tested this to be sure. I turned off the BT on my phone so watch was wifi only and then called myself from another line. The call went to my watch fine, and I answered and connected.

As a woman, like others here, the watch is brilliant for me, more useful than for many men in fact, I suspect. I rarely had my phone nearby in the past (or it was buried in my bag) and always worried about missing calls and messages. The watch is the total solution.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Calls need to be done with the watch and phone (or iPad and phone) on the same wifi network.

iMessages and other such things will operate on any known wifi network.

14. Zxxv Suspended

what about FaceTime audio?

thanks in advance.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I do not believe the watches at this point support FaceTime audio.

16. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

regarding the title: whenever i'm at home or work i don't have my phone on my person.

1. it bothers me in my pocket
    2. i might as well charge it
    3. if i need it i just have to pick it up, rather than fish it out of my pocket (if i'm close by).

I don't think it is exclusively female behaviour to not always have your phone on you - i think it's just common sense.

17. blg123 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

Thank you for all of your replies! If anyone else has any other good use cases that are particularly helpful to you (especially busy moms), please add to the thread.

Thanks!

18. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Sorry, thought I had read otherwise in a number of forums.

19. loyalist macrumors 6502

I think women should get a watch because you stash your phones in your pockets and purse. It's very convenient to access without whipping out your stashed phone. I really think it's a must for new moms who have their hands full with their babies/kids. You will never miss a call or notification when you're tending to your babies/kids needs. Just my 2 cents...

20. jannette macrumors 6502

No, it definitely works like that. You can turn the iPhone right off and still make and receive calls as long as you are connected to the same Wifi network that the iPhone was before you switched it off.

21. Sparkeze macrumors 6502a

Sparkeze

The only time calls are disabled on the watch is if you turn on wifi calling on the phone.

22. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Ooh, I think you just sold me on a watch for my wife. :)

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Husband here. I like the sound of this!

My wife is always leaving her iPhone in her car in the garage (under wifi) so I can never get through. I can always call the house phone as a backup - but nobody in my family knows how to answer one of those things any more. :)

----------

You too?

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Paying with Apple Pay is a big one for women (and men, I know). We don't have to fish phone or wallet out of purse, and we don't even have to carry the purse into the store, if we don't want to.

25. djpraize macrumors member

THIS. This is why I am getting the watch. This is worth every penny. It drives my husband crazy when I miss his calls.