Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
How's this for a statement? Every iPhone 4 built to date has the reception defect!

Prove me wrong by showing two iPhone 4's side by side, one showing the defect and one not. Until then it's obvious that the people that think they have a perfect iPhone haven't been in a bad location yet.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
How's this for a statement? Every iPhone 4 built to date has the reception defect!

Prove me wrong by showing two iPhone 4's side by side, one showing the defect and one not. Until then it's obvious that the people that think they have a perfect iPhone haven't been in a bad location yet.

My two friends thought their phones were fine until we were all sitting around the same porch last night and no one could use the internet while holding their phone. :)

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
I thought I didn't have this problem as I couldn't replicate it by holding it in my left hand like other people did but I found that if I put my thumb on the left black strip and my forefinger on the right black strip then I am able to replicate this problem! Doesn't bother me too much as I will never hold it in this position when I'm using it normally and it doesn't lose all of the 5 bars, usually just 3, sometimes 4, I'm always left with at least 1 bar singal anyway and I've not had any dropped calls as of yet.

Simbazz

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Lancashire, England
I can categorically say I've not had any problems reception-wise. I've actually not had a problem.

I'm massively saddened for those who've been affected by it, as it ruins the whole hype this phone has generated, but I don't think us lucky ones need to prove that we're with a phone which works as it should.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I absolutely don't have the problem..... At work (as I initially reported)

At home I 100% have it now, so yeah i think they all have it too.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
If you have to work hard. Using a key plus going to places you don't rarely go to so you can get a signal that is bad just so you can say your iPhone is bad. And prove that we all have this issue

Dude then the experiment is a fail.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There are quite a few videos on YouTube w/ iPhones that do not lose reception w/ the pinch.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I absolutely don't have the problem..... At work (as I initially reported)

At home I 100% have it now, so yeah i think they all have it too.

I'm the same. At work I'm fine which is probably down to the fact that we have a phone mask in our car park! At home I can lose all signal. This clearly shows that it's a location problem so all these people testing in one location and saying their phone is perfect are just kidding themselves.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
i've not been able to duplicate the problem...ANYWHERE!!! I'm currently in downtown DC i live in Arlington and i just do not have the issue. If its because youre too far from a tower...so be it. let it be that your too far. as it's been said before, don't hold the phone that way. lol

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
There are quite a few videos on YouTube w/ iPhones that do not lose reception w/ the pinch.

That's pointless unless there is another iPhone in the same picture which shows a defect. Read the original post again.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm not going to prove it, because I don't have to, nor do I have the time.

I can tell you there are two iPhone 4s in my home. One is a 16 GB and one is a 32 GB, not that that should matter.

I can lie them both on the table and they have exactly same number of bars. I can replicate the issue on the 32 GB and bring it down to almost no signal. I cannot replicate the issue on the 16GB even though they are right next to each other. I've tried to place my hand all over the silver bars but the signal stays strong on the 16 GB.

I honestly believe some have the issue and some don't. Whats the difference? I don't have a clue.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
i've not been able to duplicate the problem...ANYWHERE!!! I'm currently in downtown DC i live in Arlington and i just do not have the issue. If its because youre too far from a tower...so be it. let it be that your too far. as it's been said before, don't hold the phone that way. lol

ANYWHERE? Wow you've covered the whole world? I guess that's all the evidence we need.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
That's pointless unless there is another iPhone in the same picture which shows a defect. Read the original post again.

So in other words you reject the reality of the situation and substitute your own. Sorry to break it to you but some of us have phones that for whatever reason do not exhibit the reception issue. I'd show you with mine but I only own one phone so that is a fail to you from the start.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I'm not going to prove it, because I don't have to, nor do I have the time.

I can tell you there are two iPhone 4s in my home. One is a 16 GB and one is a 32 GB, not that that should matter.

I can lie them both on the table and they have exactly same number of bars. I can replicate the issue on the 32 GB and bring it down to almost no signal. I cannot replicate the issue on the 16GB even though they are right next to each other. I've tried to place my hand all over the silver bars but the signal stays strong on the 16 GB.

I honestly believe some have the issue and some don't. Whats the difference? I don't have a clue.

No you don't have to prove it but I would ask kindly that you do. It would really help clarify once and for all. You would be the first person (that I know of) to do this.

a3silver

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I'm not having the reception strength issue, but dropped calls inside and out (in the same places my 3G worked without issue).. The proximity sensor bug is actually more of an issue but likely easier to fix, perhaps in the update rumored on monday..

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
So in other words you reject the reality of the situation and substitute your own. Sorry to break it to you but some of us have phones that for whatever reason do not exhibit the reception issue. I'd show you with mine but I only own one phone so that is a fail to you from the start.

I don't reject any reality. It's people like you who accuse people of holding a phone incorrectly! All I'm saying is provide some proof, as of yet no one has been able to and I expect that to remain the same.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
If you have to work hard. Using a key plus going to places you don't rarely go to so you can get a signal that is bad just so you can say your iPhone is bad. And prove that we all have this issue

Dude then the experiment is a fail.

Who is using a key and should you not be able to go anywhere? I wasn't told where I could and couldn't go with my new iPhone...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't reject any reality. It's people like you who accuse people of holding a phone incorrectly! All I'm saying is provide some proof, as of yet no one has been able to and I expect that to remain the same.

I accused someone of holding a phone wrong? Please enlighten me. When did I do this?

Look I don't doubt some people have this issue, but you need to come to grips that others do not have this issue.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I accused someone of holding a phone wrong? Please enlighten me. When did I do this?

Look I don't doubt some people have this issue, but you need to come to grips that others do not have this issue.

I said people like you, not you. You may wish to re-read my post.

I will come to grips with that fact once it has been proven. So far it hasn't.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Even if I wanted to prove it, I can't. My only video cameras are on the iPhones.

Use the camera on each one, it will be obvious that it's the same location. Do you have two iPhone 4's that show different results to the reception defect then? I would love to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.