Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
so is it a location, i.e. ATT issue you are trying to prove or A hardware issue, i.e. Apple)

2nd, There are 1.5 million 4s out there and other than this forum of which there are several hundred people trying to "replicate" failure how many people are really UNhappy?

Replicate
a close or exact copy; a replica.
• a repetition of an experimental test or procedure.

If people have to experiment to make the phone fail what does that mean?
If you follow my advice (replicate) and drive your car with your foot on the brake your brakes will fail EVERYTIME, however the 4 only fails in SPECIFiC instances involving location....i'm confused WHAT are you trying to prove?

Move on man, this thread isn't for you.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Well you imply wrong and you may want to join me on that logic lesson. I'm not here to argue, I'm here for hard evidence and 33 posts in and nothing. Time will tell I guess.

OK, you got me there. I did mean infer though. But I do think you are here to argue or you wouldn't be demanding "prove it." You can believe what you want to believe. I take people's word at face value when they say they have an issue. I'm unsure why its hard for you to understand some of us do not have the issue.

Even if people have two phones, it's likely they were made in the same factory, same lot #, so they are likely going to have or not have the same reception issue. What does your experiment really prove? And you see how difficult it would be for the avg. person to video it. You are looking in the wrong place. This is something maybe for the folks at MacWorld or Engadget.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
OK, you got me there. I did mean infer though. But I do think you are here to argue or you wouldn't be demanding "prove it." You can believe what you want to believe. I take people's word at face value when they say they have an issue. I'm unsure why its hard for you to understand some of us do not have the issue.

Even if people have two phones, it's likely they were made in the same factory, same lot #, so they are likely going to have or not have the same reception issue. What does your experiment really prove? And you see how difficult it would be for the avg. person to video it. You are looking in the wrong place. This is something maybe for the folks at MacWorld or Engadget.

I don't demand that anyone proves it. I'm just asking kindly that they do. Do you not find it stange that no one has so far? It's not hard to video something to be honest, anyone that can use an iPhone can take a video clip.

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Move on man, this thread isn't for you.

too hard to deal with questions or are you the only one allowed to to ask them?

People who dont have the issue WILL NOT be posting here..give it a little thought before running your mouth about who threads are for...

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
too hard to deal with questions or are you the only one allowed to to ask them?

People who dont have the issue WILL NOT be posting here..give it a little thought before running your mouth about who threads are for...

It's not hard, just pointless:

so is it a location, i.e. ATT issue you are trying to prove or A hardware issue, i.e. Apple)

Apple

2nd, There are 1.5 million 4s out there and other than this forum of which there are several hundred people trying to "replicate" failure how many people are really UNhappy?

I don't care.

Replicate
a close or exact copy; a replica.
• a repetition of an experimental test or procedure.

zzzzzz

If people have to experiment to make the phone fail what does that mean?
If you follow my advice (replicate) and drive your car with your foot on the brake your brakes will fail EVERYTIME, however the 4 only fails in SPECIFiC instances involving location....i'm confused WHAT are you trying to prove?

That every iPhone 4 suffers from the same problem, it's just down to location when people don't see it.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Here is my proof that it doesn't effect everyone!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBscc7jong

I filmed this 3 times, but the first two didn't have sound, in both of those previous tests holding the phone with the left hand performed equally with holding it touching it as little as possible, (Actually it performed slightly better in both cases). When I filmed this one I did have a slight drop of bars at the beginning but it had no effect on my data, and the bars recovered quickly. I believe this is more of an issue with reception in your area combined with the design of the phone, rather than a real huge issue with design of the phone. But as you can see, the left hand, and covering the black lines have no effect on the quality of the signal.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Lol great opinion.

Mine does in fact loose bars when you hold it certain ways. BUT it does not effect call quality or reception. Mine seems strictly visual. I've yet to have a dropped call.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008

I filmed this 3 times, but the first two didn't have sound, in both of those previous tests holding the phone with the left hand performed equally with holding it touching it as little as possible, (Actually it performed slightly better in both cases). When I filmed this one I did have a slight drop of bars at the beginning but it had no effect on my data, and the bars recovered quickly. I believe this is more of an issue with reception in your area combined with the design of the phone, rather than a real huge issue with design of the phone. But as you can see, the left hand, and covering the black lines have no effect on the quality of the signal.

One location, one phone. Proves nothing.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

I'd argue that if one phone has problems with the signal in a certain area and another phone does not, there is a problem with the design of the former.

Some people are simply not going to be able to accept a reduction in signal quality.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
Great job, Nikos! Now, only 1,599,998 more phones to go and we can finally put this thread to rest.

I think what the OP wants is a video of one iPhone 4 WITH the issue and another iPhone 4, NOT exhibiting the issue in the SAME location. In essence, that would prove categorically that it is a hardware defect and that some iPhones are NOT affected.

His point is that so far no one has been able to do this. Please correct me OP if that is not what you're saying.

rmwhite

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I think what the OP wants is a video of one iPhone 4 WITH the issue and another iPhone 4, NOT exhibiting the issue in the SAME location. In essence, that would prove categorically that it is a hardware defect and that some iPhones are NOT affected.

His point is that so far no one has been able to do this. Please correct me OP if that is not what you're saying.

This is exactly what "needs" to be posted, and until it is the OP has a legitimate point.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I'd argue that if one phone has problems with the signal in a certain area and another phone does not, there is a problem with the design of the former.

Some people are simply not going to be able to accept a reduction in signal quality.

As per my original request we need two phones in one location, one that works correctly and one that shows the reception defect. I find it hard to believe that someone with a "working" iPhone doesn;t know someone that has a defected one so that they can compare at the same location.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008

Spot on my friend.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Spot on my friend.

Ok what I was trying to prove was that the way you hold it has no effect on signal quality. Which I did, which is what people keep complaining about. The iPhone 4 having worse reception than other phones, or other iPhone 4's is another issue altogether. Essentially I was just trying to prove the inaccuracies in this argument:

just to clear things up:

For the phone to loose signal you need to cover the left black line on the rim - effectively shorting out the bottom and left antennas.

I'm tired of people saying "My iPhone doesn't have the antenna issue, I'm holding it in my left hand and the signal is fine".

Well yes, it will be fine if you are not touching over the black line.

Simple: Every iPhone 4 has this issue.

Mine does not!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I don't demand that anyone proves it. I'm just asking kindly that they do. Do you not find it stange that no one has so far? It's not hard to video something to be honest, anyone that can use an iPhone can take a video clip.

Go back and look at your thread title. You are most certainly "demanding it" You've got the words "PROVE IT!!" in full caps with multiple explanation points.

Honestly man, at what point would you be satisfied with someone's proof? Someone earlier said they couldn't replicate the problem and then you told them to change locations. If the phone works where people need it then it's a non-issue for those people in question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.