Working out with headphones! and sweat!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAMTATSICPRO, Aug 2, 2007.

1. SAMTATSICPRO macrumors regular

So basically, apple forgot about the people who sweat lots, because now I'm on my third set of headphones! I work out evryday with my headphones and the sweat gets on the clicker/mic and all the sudden, I can't even skip songs or stop the music. After a while the songs will stop plying and skipping randomly and it's so annoying. I decided to put a small piece of tape over it so that sweat doesn't get inside the mic. I hate the fact that I had to go to the apple store and change them 2 times. Anyone else having that problem?

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That would be why you don't sweat on and workout with a $600 cell phone. Get a shuffle...

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

seriously...do i really need the iphone rather than a much smaller shuffle while i workout? I can safely say my phone will never see the inside of the gym.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

I've never had a problem working out with my iPhone.

Granted, I hate the earbuds they come with, so I use my own (some etymotics thing). But I don't really sweat as much as the OP seems to..

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yeah! That's what I did. It's not because of the sweat, but of the fact that I didn't want to drop the phone on the sidewalk while running.

It would take a good while before I was able to forgive myself ... :eek:

7. fart macrumors regular

I watch Heros while on the thread. I'm on episode 9 and I've lost 12 pounds since starting.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

This is why you get a good case...or you put it in a pocket...or both...:)

when i don't have time to go to the gym (which is most of the time), i just spend half an hour or more on the elliptical at home, and all I do is watch TV/movies or listen to podcasts or audiobooks or textbooks or lectures for classes...did this with the TV, with the laptop, with the PDA pre-iPhone and now with the iPhone. awesome stuff. it's a lot easier than reading magazines or whatever else I've tried..and textbooks are WAAAY too heavy. :eek:

9. SAMTATSICPRO thread starter macrumors regular

Its not about the phone, I actually have a sports belkin band for my iPhone, but the ear buds are too sensitive to moisture and I think thats what really sucks about them, the clicker starts going crazy doing random things.

why would I want a shuffle? I Can't receive calls or skip songs with a clicker!
    Plus The iPhone is to be used anywhere. I also log my workout on my phone.
    Something the shuffle can't do.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple also forgot about people who stand outside when it rains.

After being rained on for five minutes my headphones exhibit the same problems.

People complain about the silliest things.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Shuffle.
    Monster iFreeplay.
    Cut the cords altogether.

12. rayward macrumors 68000

Most gyms ban camera phones anyway.

13. earthsick macrumors regular

All the people saying not to work out with the iPhone are nuts in my opinion. I go to the gym 3 hours a day 6 days a week and the real appeal of the iPhone for me was to not have to worry about leaving my phone in a locker while I am working out; now I can take a call if I have to. The real point of the iPhone was to consolodate devices, so wouldnt getting a shuffle just crap on that idea? As far as the moisture goes i suggest these http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DB77FAB5&nplm=TN543LL/A They sound great, do not move AT ALL while running, and water has gotten directly on them and they still work fine.

14. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

while i agree with those that say get a shuffle (that's what i use too), if the original poster doesn't want to, i'd just suggest getting waterproof or sweatproof headphones.

i just picked up some new ones the other week:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Vapor-3%...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185993139&sr=8-3

[​IMG]

i can't stand Apple's ipod headphones as they barely stay in my ear. sound quality when i run/workout typically isn't as big of a deal to me as when i'm sitting or traveling and listening to music. i just want headphones that stay in my ear and i can hear the music. i had some old school sony ones that wrapped around the back of your head, but have no idea where they went.
    i was hoping for something waterproof/splash resistant because i can get pretty sweaty during a long run in the summer. these fit the bill nicely enough and fit comfortably in my ears. they don't fit a tight seal and basically sit just outside your ear canal rather than in them, but they are comfortable and i can hear my music just fine as well as a car horn or something when outside. one downside with not forming a tight seal is that they sound real 'treble-y' and there's not much bass. for the most part i listen to more rock when i'm running to get me amped so i don't need as much bass. but if you're listening to hip hop you would probably be disappointed. the cord is relatively short which would be perfect for people that work out with an ipod on their arm, but also comes with an extension that gives the necessary slack if you clip your ipod on your waste.
    either way, for $25 they work just good enough.

15. millerrh macrumors 6502

I have the exact same problem with my headphones. The clicker gets rendered useless after about 10 minutes into a run.

And all the replacement headphones that people are recommending don't have the button on them! That's the whole genius behind the Apple headphones is that you can move to the next track while in the middle of a run without having to look at the screen and go through all that just to skip a song.

If those headphones don't work for running, it makes using the iPhone next to impossible mid-workout. So getting a shuffle really does make sense cause you can just reach down and click the click wheel without much effort.

Unfortunately, the iPhone has failed to be the all-in-one replacement I had thought it would be. But at least it is safe inside my locker without the risk of being damaged now! :)

16. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

have you thought about splicing some proper fitting ear pieces? seems like a lot of people are doing that now.

17. millerrh macrumors 6502

It's not the fit of the ear pieces that bothers me, I think the iPod headphones fit my ears fine. Its the fact that the little microphone clicker deal allows sweat to get into it and short it out. I'd love it if someone developed an iPhone headphone that had a sealed switch (even at the expense of no microphone).

18. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I don't have any pockets in my running shorts. :rolleyes:

As for the case, I'm trying to find a nice looking one that isn't too obtrusive. I want to be able to show off my phone with all its beauty and not a clunky one that's fugly.

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

I mastered the art of changing songs while driving without looking. It takes a couple of jabs to switch songs or to skip ahead in a song, but I can do it :D

Or just any remote? I thought this was an issue of calling people :eek: I've seen more than one person do that... I'm wondering if the iPod remote works with the iPhone.

Okay well, just suggesting. There's a few iPhone armbands, shrug.

20. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I will look into that. I thought those were made for Nanos because of their light weight.

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

There are some explicitly for the iPhone, and pretty much any other iPod out there.

22. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

crack open the little microphone/switch and conformal coat the electronics / seal with RTV and put a small piece of fabric impregnated in oil, in front of the mic.

That might do it.

23. JohnA1969 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem when biking to work. The switch stops working and the thing jumps all over.

I had problems with the original iPhone headphones too, when it was cold the rubber would go hard and the earpieces would pop out.

The solution I came up with was to wrap the cord around my ear and put the switch above it. Not the most comfortable of solutions. The other option is a switchless set :(

John

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You can't be serious! - Think John McEnroe head sweatbands. Low tech, but simple, that or a mini sweatband for the earphone cables, prior to the clicker. Should sort it out.

25. FJR macrumors regular

you had to replace them because of too much sweat? Odd, I've put mine through the washing machine and after they dried for about a day they were perfectly fine.