Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coachjeffroc

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2022
Please could you send me the wkt file for that workout and I will take a look. To do this tap the Export button 3 times quickly and email to info@workoutdoors.net
I just got an email "Delivery Incomplete Status Notification." Is that a problem one your end or mine? I sent the wkt right after our message exchange here on Sunday

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I just got an email "Delivery Incomplete Status Notification." Is that a problem one your end or mine? I sent the wkt right after our message exchange here on Sunday
I don't know of any problem. I am still receiving lots of emails. Did you send it to the correct email address? Note that it is a .net domain.

Philoustetou

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
FRANCE Bretagne Côtes d'Armor
Hello everybody,
I had a problem earlier that I was able to reproduce. I was using WOD while walking and as usual I had blocked the screen using my action + side button shortcut. I got a Strava notification and upon touching the notification, Strava launched. I immediately deactivated the app and returned to the WOD screen. From that point on, all gesture shortcuts were no longer accessible and I was stuck on the active screen. Impossible to swipe from one screen to another and above all impossible to stop or pause. At the end of my exercise, I had to deactivate the app. Fortunately, I recovered the workout except for the last few meters. I reproduced the problem: I launched WOD, blocked the screen then I launched Strava again and I found myself in the same situation. I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone? I hope that you can reproduce this problem and find a solution knowing that in the case where this happens screen not blocked, the shortcuts are no longer operational. Philippe (5.4.2 version)

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hello everybody,
I had a problem earlier that I was able to reproduce. I was using WOD while walking and as usual I had blocked the screen using my action + side button shortcut. I got a Strava notification and upon touching the notification, Strava launched. I immediately deactivated the app and returned to the WOD screen. From that point on, all gesture shortcuts were no longer accessible and I was stuck on the active screen. Impossible to swipe from one screen to another and above all impossible to stop or pause. At the end of my exercise, I had to deactivate the app. Fortunately, I recovered the workout except for the last few meters. I reproduced the problem: I launched WOD, blocked the screen then I launched Strava again and I found myself in the same situation. I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone? I hope that you can reproduce this problem and find a solution knowing that in the case where this happens screen not blocked, the shortcuts are no longer operational. Philippe (5.4.2 version)
No-one else has ever reported that, even people using the bug-fix beta like yourself. I have tried to reproduce it but cannot. Please try rebooting the watch to see if that helps.

When you say that you blocked the screen do you mean that you have configured pressing the action button and side button to enable the screen lock? If that is the case then did you disable it when returning from Strava? If not then that would explain the gestures not working.

Philoustetou

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
FRANCE Bretagne Côtes d'Armor

When you say that you blocked the screen do you mean that you have configured pressing the action button and side button to enable the screen lock? If that is the case then did you disable it when returning from Strava? If not then that would explain the gestures not working.
Yes, it's a gesture shortcut.
No, The shortcut no longer worked
A video in attachment
Sorry for my english 😌

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Yes, it's a gesture shortcut.
No, The shortcut no longer worked
A video in attachment
Sorry for my english 😌

View attachment 2354011
Thanks for the video. That was very helpful because I didn't realise that you were starting a workout in Strava. The reason you cannot pause or use the action button is because starting a workout in Strava killed off the workout session in WOD.

WatchOS does not allow two apps to run a workout session at the same time, so starting a session in Strava killed the session in WOD. You can hear the message "WorkOutDoors workout ended". Unfortunately killing off Strava will not make watchOS restart the session in WOD.

The way that pause/resume works for the watchOS workout system is that the app asks watchOS to pause or resume and watchOS will pause/resume the session and then tell the app. So if the workout session has been killed off then it is impossible to pause or resume.

The action button also requires a workout session, which is why you couldn't use your shortcut gesture to unlock the screen.

In the future it is best not to run a workout session in another app. WOD tries to continue as best it can but there are some things that it just cannot do without a workout session.

Thanks again for the video - that really helped.

Reactions: Philoustetou

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thank you for your response, in fact I launched Strava by mistake so this could happen to other people than me.
Unfortunately there is nothing the app can do about it. It is a limitation of watchOS that when a workout session is started in another app then the WOD session will be killed off. This means that it won't be able to pause/resume and won't receive action button events.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
In the last couple of months, the auto-paused portion of workout in WOD when uploaded to Strava, does not count as paused and them resumed, the pause is ignored and the workout times in WOD are now not in-sync with Strava, Strava seems to ignore pause and post the workout as a continuous workout. The auto-pause/resume workouts in Strava matched before, but don't now. Am I going something wrong?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
In the last couple of months, the auto-paused portion of workout in WOD when uploaded to Strava, does not count as paused and them resumed, the pause is ignored and the workout times in WOD are now not in-sync with Strava, Strava seems to ignore pause and post the workout as a continuous workout. The auto-pause/resume workouts in Strava matched before, but don't now. Am I going something wrong?
Are you maybe telling Strava that the workout has a run type of "Race"? This causes Strava to show the elapsed time instead of the moving time.

Also what file type are you sending to Strava. By default the app uses FIT, which is the best. You can check in the Export Options screen of the Settings tab in the WOD iPhone app.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

subfreezing

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015
Hi, cfc i am a betatester of this fantastic app, I see that in TestFlight the beta 5.4(2) expires in 2 days. Will there be a new beta before it is expired? If not do you know how to revert to the AppStore version without loosing all of the settings etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxSto

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi, cfc i am a betatester of this fantastic app, I see that in TestFlight the beta 5.4(2) expires in 2 days. Will there be a new beta before it is expired? If not do you know how to revert to the AppStore version without loosing all of the settings etc..
I have just started rolling out a new beta (5.4.5), so you should get it soon. It is almost exactly the same as 5.4.2 because I am only releasing it because that version is expiring.

Hopefully I will release the first proper beta of the new version before this beta expires in 90 days. No promises though!

Reactions: subfreezing

daanjj

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Hi Ian,

I noticed that the last 2-3 workouts (so in the last week) are after completion not immediately synced to HealthKit. Two days ago, there was around 4 hours between finishing the run (and viewing it in the WOD app on my iPhone) and the data arriving in HealthKit and be available for other usages.

Did something change here? Because until approx last week, every time I ended a workout, the HealthFit app notification was almost immediately triggered (with 10-60 seconds).

I even killed WOD on the iPhone and relaunched it, but that did not trigger the sync to HealthKit.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi Ian,

I noticed that the last 2-3 workouts (so in the last week) are after completion not immediately synced to HealthKit. Two days ago, there was around 4 hours between finishing the run (and viewing it in the WOD app on my iPhone) and the data arriving in HealthKit and be available for other usages.

Did something change here? Because until approx last week, every time I ended a workout, the HealthFit app notification was almost immediately triggered (with 10-60 seconds).

I even killed WOD on the iPhone and relaunched it, but that did not trigger the sync to HealthKit.
Nothing has changed in the app but a couple of people have mentioned this recently so I assume that something has changed in watchOS or iOS. It’s worth rebooting both devices in case it is a bug in one or the other.

Unfortunately there is nothing the app can do. It uses Apple’s workout system and saves the workout at the end. After that it is up to watchOS and iOS to send the workout to the health system on the phone.

daanjj

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Nothing has changed in the app but a couple of people have mentioned this recently so I assume that something has changed in watchOS or iOS. It’s worth rebooting both devices in case it is a bug in one or the other.

Unfortunately there is nothing the app can do. It uses Apple’s workout system and saves the workout at the end. After that it is up to watchOS and iOS to send the workout to the health system on the phone.
That last workout did not arrive in HealthKit after 24 hours, so I have rebooted iPhone and watch on your suggestion. It still does not show up in HealthKit. A new test workout is properly saved to HealthKit so it works now (again?).

It might actually be a bug, as i recall that closing the workout on the iPhone was a different experience yesterday, although I don't recall the specifics. I think it did not ask whether I was sure to end the workout as it normally does and immediately threw me back in the WOD menu on the watch. I remember checking in WOD on the watch if the workout was saved - which it was, fortunately.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
That last workout did not arrive in HealthKit after 24 hours, so I have rebooted iPhone and watch on your suggestion. It still does not show up in HealthKit. A new test workout is properly saved to HealthKit so it works now (again?).

It might actually be a bug, as i recall that closing the workout on the iPhone was a different experience yesterday, although I don't recall the specifics. I think it did not ask whether I was sure to end the workout as it normally does and immediately threw me back in the WOD menu on the watch. I remember checking in WOD on the watch if the workout was saved - which it was, fortunately.
Did the workout in the WOD iPhone app have the name "Recovered"? If so then it sounds like the app crashed when asking watchOS to save the workout to Apple's Health system.

I have heard of that very occasionally in the past but not for a long time, so I figured it was something that either Apple or myself had fixed. Hopefully rebooting will avoid it happening in the future.

daanjj

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Did the workout in the WOD iPhone app have the name "Recovered"? If so then it sounds like the app crashed when asking watchOS to save the workout to Apple's Health system.

I have heard of that very occasionally in the past but not for a long time, so I figured it was something that either Apple or myself had fixed. Hopefully rebooting will avoid it happening in the future.
Nope. It had (as it should) the name of the schedule that I had selected for that run.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Nope. It had (as it should) the name of the schedule that I had selected for that run.
It didn't crash then, so I assume it is the bug in watchOS/iOS that I have heard of a couple of times in the last few weeks.

If you need to get the missing workout into Apple's Health system then you could export it from WOD as a FIT file and then use HealthFit to import it into Health: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/healthfit/id1202650514?mt=8

daanjj

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Yes, I did that. But I prefer to have WOD save directly to HealthKit, as I believe in that way I don’t loose any metric (but I might be wrong here).

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Yes, I did that. But I prefer to have WOD save directly to HealthKit, as I believe in that way I don’t loose any metric (but I might be wrong here).
I don't know if that results in any missing metrics. I can't think of any obvious ones off the top of my head, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: daanjj

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Are you maybe telling Strava that the workout has a run type of "Race"? This causes Strava to show the elapsed time instead of the moving time.

Also what file type are you sending to Strava. By default the app uses FIT, which is the best. You can check in the Export Options screen of the Settings tab in the WOD iPhone app.
How would I know if the run type is set to race in WOD settings? From what I see it's listed as a run in the WOD app, but Strava will ignore the moving time and will display the elapsed time. Thx.

daanjj

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006

Update: I now know why my end-of-run experience on Monday was different: I accidentally had left the switch 'End Workout on Schedule End' turned ON, so the workout automatically was closed when I finished the last interval. In all the schedules I use this switch is disabled, so (while WOD did what it should do), it was something unexpected for me. So I immediately checked if the recording showed up on the Watch in the Workouts tab, which it did.

While the Monday workout never showed up automatically in HealthKit (I had to take the manual route via HealthFit), the next workout on Wednesday was written to HealthKit immediately. So for now it might just have been an unlucky combination of circumstances and potentially rebooting iPhone & Watch have already tackled it.

Reactions: cfc

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
How would I know if the run type is set to race in WOD settings? From what I see it's listed as a run in the WOD app, but Strava will ignore the moving time and will display the elapsed time. Thx.
The Run Type is a setting in Strava for running workouts. If it is not race then Strava generally show moving time, but if it is Race then they show elapsed time.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Update: I now know why my end-of-run experience on Monday was different: I accidentally had left the switch 'End Workout on Schedule End' turned ON, so the workout automatically was closed when I finished the last interval. In all the schedules I use this switch is disabled, so (while WOD did what it should do), it was something unexpected for me. So I immediately checked if the recording showed up on the Watch in the Workouts tab, which it did.

While the Monday workout never showed up automatically in HealthKit (I had to take the manual route via HealthFit), the next workout on Wednesday was written to HealthKit immediately. So for now it might just have been an unlucky combination of circumstances and potentially rebooting iPhone & Watch have already tackled it.
Thanks for the update. As you say, hopefully rebooting has fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.