Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Have you waited many minutes for a heart rate? Sometimes the sensor can take a while to get a lock.

If you have an HR chest strap then try connecting that to watchOS (not WOD) and see if that helps. If you can see data from that then it is probably not a permissions problem and is probably just the watch sensor not working for you.
I write my personal experience: some week ago I had troubles in getting HR readings from the watch sensor. The readings when present were sounding but often were blank. I compared my solo loop to another one same size I had and the other was slightly shorter because I didn’t use it as often. I am talking about a difference around 1 mm. I switched straps and with the other one (the shorter) I didn’t have this problem any more.
Another possible cause I noticed the readings were missing more often when it was cold.
So my suggestion is tighten your watch strap if possible while working out.
Or use a chest strap if you have one.

Reactions: cfc

tcarlisle

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
Have you waited many minutes for a heart rate? Sometimes the sensor can take a while to get a lock.

If you have an HR chest strap then try connecting that to watchOS (not WOD) and see if that helps. If you can see data from that then it is probably not a permissions problem and is probably just the watch sensor not working for you.
Yes, I have waited to see if HR just takes some time to get a lock but hat's not the issue as it never gets a lock. (Note, I can clearly see the green HR sensor lights working.)

HISTORY
A few years ago I had a series 5. Heartrate always showed immediately with WOD. When I upgraded to a series 7, for the first few weeks it took about 10 minutes into a workout for WOD to show the heartrate--but after those few weeks, HR was always immediately reported once again.

When I reset my iPhone and series 7 a few weeks ago and HR was not showing up, I thought at first this was the same delay in showing HR. But it's not as this time around HR never shows up on screen, nor is it in captured in the data.

ANOTHER ISSUE
I was re-testing and I noticed something odd. When using WOD, the Apple Workout app seems to be running as the app icon is in motion--i.e. the Apple Workout app runner icon is actually a runner in motion.

I clicked on the Apple Workout app and it opens but no active workout seems to be present.

later, when I ended WOD activity I received an audio error message: "Error with event collection. Unable to end a workout that is not currently active."

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Yes, I have waited to see if HR just takes some time to get a lock but hat's not the issue as it never gets a lock. (Note, I can clearly see the green HR sensor lights working.)

HISTORY
A few years ago I had a series 5. Heartrate always showed immediately with WOD. When I upgraded to a series 7, for the first few weeks it took about 10 minutes into a workout for WOD to show the heartrate--but after those few weeks, HR was always immediately reported once again.

When I reset my iPhone and series 7 a few weeks ago and HR was not showing up, I thought at first this was the same delay in showing HR. But it's not as this time around HR never shows up on screen, nor is it in captured in the data.

ANOTHER ISSUE
I was re-testing and I noticed something odd. When using WOD, the Apple Workout app seems to be running as the app icon is in motion--i.e. the Apple Workout app runner icon is actually a runner in motion.

I clicked on the Apple Workout app and it opens but no active workout seems to be present.

later, when I ended WOD activity I received an audio error message: "Error with event collection. Unable to end a workout that is not currently active."
That sounds like Apple's workout app is running a workout. WatchOS only allows one app to run a workout session at a time. If you start a session in another app then it will kill off the session in WOD. This would result in no heart rate metrics and also that error message from watchOS at the end, which happens because the app cannot save the session because it has been killed off.

So for some reason Apple's workout app is running a workout. It may not look like it in the app itself, but that running icon and the issues with WOD all point to a workout running in Apple's app.

I recommend rebooting the watch to see if that helps.

tcarlisle

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
That sounds like Apple's workout app is running a workout. WatchOS only allows one app to run a workout session at a time. If you start a session in another app then it will kill off the session in WOD. This would result in no heart rate metrics and also that error message from watchOS at the end, which happens because the app cannot save the session because it has been killed off.

So for some reason Apple's workout app is running a workout. It may not look like it in the app itself, but that running icon and the issues with WOD all point to a workout running in Apple's app.

I recommend rebooting the watch to see if that helpsR

I recommend rebooting the watch to see if that helps.
Yes, I'm aware that two workouts cannot run at the same time--so I'm not starting two workouts sessions.

It appears that some error is occurring. When I start a workout in WOD, it appears the Apple Workout App also runs a session.

At least that is my theory.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Yes, I'm aware that two workouts cannot run at the same time--so I'm not starting two workouts sessions.

It appears that some error is occurring. When I start a workout in WOD, it appears the Apple Workout App also runs a session.

At least that is my theory.
I am not suggesting that you are starting a workout in Apple's app, but it sounds like a workout is running there. This is very strange and strange problems are often fixed by rebooting.

If that doesn't work then try reinstalling the watch app, and if that doesn't work then unpair and re-pair the watch. Those are the usual things to try for weird problems that no-one else is reporting. Sometimes they help.

Reactions: testcard

tcarlisle

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
I am not suggesting that you are starting a workout in Apple's app, but it sounds like a workout is running there. This is very strange and strange problems are often fixed by rebooting.

If that doesn't work then try reinstalling the watch app, and if that doesn't work then unpair and re-pair the watch. Those are the usual things to try for weird problems that no-one else is reporting. Sometimes they help.
I have done all those things several times, but I will try it again and report back.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I have done all those things several times, but I will try it again and report back.
If unpairing and re-pairing didn't fix it then I don't know what will, because that is usually the last resort.

Have you maybe got any shortcuts or anything else configured to start a workout in Apple's Workout app? Maybe the action button?

noel18

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2021
Are you referring to the little green running icon which indicates that you are in "Fitness" focus mode?

noel18

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2021
I restarted my watch and I have it configured to Workoutdoors and first press to open. Pressing the action button on the screen with the start just flashes orange and does nothing. I have one sensor and it’s green with no countdown enable.
If you launch WOD manually and then do an open workout and then click the action button to start the run it will simply flash orange and do nothing. The action button will only press the big green button if you also used the action button to arrive at the big green button. Go back to the main menu and then press the action button to spawn the big green start button, then press the action button again and it should start the run.

I'm probably not explaining this very well. Hahaha

Reactions: xerxas and cfc

Runaway Train

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2023
WOD App no longer syncing from Watch toi iPhone. Workouts are being recorded on the Watch but they stopped syncing to the iPhone as of 3 Weeks ago. Problematic as I almost started to run a Marathon shortly. I have installed update to Watch OS 10.4 - no go. Oddly an app that I no loger really use much (Nike + Run), was not syncing and suddenly began syncing. Not sure if this is related or not? Any help appreciated.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Please reboot both the watch and the iPhone. When there are communication problems between the iPhone app and the watch app then that is the best thing to try. Sometimes iOS and / or watchOS get confused and need to be restarted.

This should mean that all future workouts are transferred automatically but you may need to send the missing workouts manually. To do that go to the Workout History on the watch. Select a workout to show its details and then tap "Resend to iPhone”.

Dovales

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
A few people (4 or 5 so far) have mentioned this with watchOS 10.4. I assume that it is busy doing some processing after the update and as a result it is not allowing WOD to update the screen when it is in the background.

Hopefully it will improve when watchOS has finished its processing, but it may be worth rebooting the watch to see if that helps. If it doesn't improve then I can't think of any way that the app can work around it, so fingers crossed!
I have also started to notice this behavior on my Apple Watch 1 Ultra too. I'm all updated (watch, iPhone and Workoutdoors). I have update the watch to version 10.4 last week, some days now. But only notice this by yesterday.

I have already reboot the watch, but it doesn’t work.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I have also started to notice this behavior on my Apple Watch 1 Ultra too. I'm all updated (watch, iPhone and Workoutdoors). I have update the watch to version 10.4 last week, some days now. But only notice this by yesterday.

I have already reboot the watch, but it doesn’t work.
View attachment 2362944
Yes, it does seem that Apple have broken / changed something in watchOS 10.4 that sometimes prevents the app from updating the always on display. I have managed to replicate it on one of my watches, and also on the simulator that Apple provide to developers. I tried a few things that fixed it on the simulator but unfortunately they didn't help on the device.

I have given up looking into it at the moment and I am hoping that Apple realise what they have done and fix it in a future update. I don't want to spend ages trying to find a workaround if they do fix it in the next version. But if they don't fix it then I will probably need to pause work on the new features and concentrate on how to workaround whatever they have changed.

Runaway Train

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2023
Please reboot both the watch and the iPhone. When there are communication problems between the iPhone app and the watch app then that is the best thing to try. Sometimes iOS and / or watchOS get confused and need to be restarted.

This should mean that all future workouts are transferred automatically but you may need to send the missing workouts manually. To do that go to the Workout History on the watch. Select a workout to show its details and then tap "Resend to iPhone”.
Thanks. Thus far have been able to manually force the sync by going into each work out's data screen and hitting the "resend to iPhone" button. One at a time, got them over and sync'd. Will check and see this will restart auto sync (certainly hope so).

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
@cfc Any ideas why after my run today the run isn't showing on Apple health or the fitness app?

It's showing in the workoutdoors app on the phone.
Please check that you have given the app permission to read and write all the health data. To check this go to the Settings app on the iPhone and select Privacy / Health / WorkOutDoors. Make sure that every health setting is enabled (you may need to scroll down to turn them all on). Note that if you have installed on a new iPhone or watch then you may need to give permission again.

If they are all enabled then you may be experiencing a rare bug with iOS/watchOS where the watch seems to lose the permission. To fix this switch all of the permissions off, then reboot both the iPhone and the watch, and then switch them all on again. This procedure nudges iOS into sending them to the watch again.

If you need to get that workout from WorkOutDoors to Apple’s Health system, then you could export the workout as a FIT file and then use a third party app called HealthFit to load that into Apple’s Health system:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/healthfit/id1202650514?mt=8

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Please check that you have given the app permission to read and write all the health data. To check this go to the Settings app on the iPhone and select Privacy / Health / WorkOutDoors. Make sure that every health setting is enabled (you may need to scroll down to turn them all on). Note that if you have installed on a new iPhone or watch then you may need to give permission again.

If they are all enabled then you may be experiencing a rare bug with iOS/watchOS where the watch seems to lose the permission. To fix this switch all of the permissions off, then reboot both the iPhone and the watch, and then switch them all on again. This procedure nudges iOS into sending them to the watch again.

If you need to get that workout from WorkOutDoors to Apple’s Health system, then you could export the workout as a FIT file and then use a third party app called HealthFit to load that into Apple’s Health system:

I'll give the reboot after turning stuff off a shot. All permissions were enabled so must be a glitch. Will try a run tomorrow and see if that's fixed it. Used Rungap to export the run to health. Thanks for the response

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland

Reboot etc seems to have fixed it. Thanks

tcarlisle

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
If unpairing and re-pairing didn't fix it then I don't know what will, because that is usually the last resort.

Have you maybe got any shortcuts or anything else configured to start a workout in Apple's Workout app? Maybe the action button?
I do not have any shortcuts. I recently unpair, deleted, rebooted, re-installed, etc. once again but both issues still persist:
  • The Heartrate is never shown on screen, nor is it ever captured in the recorded workout
  • Ending the WOD work out results in an audible error: "Error with event collection. Unable to end a workout that is not currently active."
Attached is a video I made documenting the second issue:

Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I do not have any shortcuts. I recently unpair, deleted, rebooted, re-installed, etc. once again but both issues still persist:
  • The Heartrate is never shown on screen, nor is it ever captured in the recorded workout
  • Ending the WOD work out results in an audible error: "Error with event collection. Unable to end a workout that is not currently active."
Attached is a video I made documenting the second issue:
View attachment 2363634
Thanks for the video but I have no idea what is going on. Sorry.

The end collection error happens because of one of two reasons: because the app does not have the health permissions, or because a workout is running in another app. In your case it looks like the second reason is the cause. The moving icon for Apple's Workout app seems to indicate that there is a workout running in that app, even though there clearly is not when you go to that app.

It should be impossible for WOD to cause a workout to seem to run in Apple's app so it looks like you are experiencing a problem in watchOS which no-one else has ever reported.

Have you tried unpairing the watch from the iPhone and then re-pairing it? That often fixes strange problems which no-one else is reporting?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for the video but I have no idea what is going on. Sorry.

The end collection error happens because of one of two reasons: because the app does not have the health permissions, or because a workout is running in another app. In your case it looks like the second reason is the cause. The moving icon for Apple's Workout app seems to indicate that there is a workout running in that app, even though there clearly is not when you go to that app.

It should be impossible for WOD to cause a workout to seem to run in Apple's app so it looks like you are experiencing a problem in watchOS which no-one else has ever reported.

Have you tried unpairing the watch from the iPhone and then re-pairing it? That often fixes strange problems which no-one else is reporting?
Sorry, I've just seen that you have already tried unpairing (I must stop replying to posts after coming back from the pub!).

It's interesting that, as well as Apple's workout icon being animated, you also don't see a small WOD icon at the top of the watch face, which is what is usually shown when it is running a workout in WOD. The watch face also doesn't show the green icon for Apple's app, despite the complication icon being animated. That is an inconsistency which, as far as I know, should not be possible and should be unrelated to WorkOutDoors.

No-one else has ever reported this and I can't replicate it, so the most likely cause is either some random bug in watchOS or something with your setup. Have you got any other workout apps installed that may be doing something strange? Maybe something that has a workout-related complication that runs all day?

Also have you tried starting a workout in Apple's Workout app and then starting one in WOD? Usually this would cause the workout in Apple's app to be ended, so it would be interesting to know if that happens for you. If WOD is unable to start a workout session in Apple's Health system then the workout in Apple's app should just keep going.

At the moment the error message tells us that WOD can't end a workout properly but this test would tell us if it can't start a workout session. If it can't then that would explain the lack of a heart rate. However it wouldn't tell us why the app can't start a workout. Or why it apparently starts a workout in Apple's app in the eyes of that app's complication, which is completely crazy!

The inability to start a workout session will cause several issues, but if heart rates are the only problem that matters for you then you could connect an external HRM to the app (via Settings / Sensors). The metrics would not be stored in Apple's Health system, but most of them should be available in WOD.

Mitch8

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2023
Germany
Use it since 2022 and love the app !! Are there new infos about having two bike-profiles (mtb & road) soon ..?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Use it since 2022 and love the app !! Are there new infos about having two bike-profiles (mtb & road) soon ..?
Glad you are still enjoying the app!

The ability to create custom activity types which map to Apple’s types is top of my to-do list after I have completed the navigation improvements, but they will take several months. However my plans may change depending on what Apple announce at WWDC in June.

So it is high on my list of priorities but unfortunately I can’t say when I will add it. Sorry about that.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I have a favour to ask the good folks on these forums. I am currently working on adding turn by turn navigation for GPX routes that contain directions. Unfortunately there isn't really a standard for storing directions in a GPX file, so every system does it slightly differently.

This means that it would be very useful for me to see some sample GPX files containing navigation waypoints. So if you use a particular app/website to create GPX files that contain turn by turn navigation then please could you send some sample files to info@workoutDoors.net. I will then try to ensure that WOD supports turn by turn navigation for GPX files created by that app or website.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.