Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've got several threads on both WarGaming (World of Warships, Tanks, Aircraft) and Gaijin Products (War Thunder) that offer PVP vehicle combat, tanks, ships, aircraft.

After playing World of Warships for 2 years and still am playing, I tried War Thunder out and in the process was sucked back into World of Tanks. If you are thinking about these two games, hopefully I’ve not already posted this, but maybe I did. ?
When I first came back to tanks after a 3 year break, boy did I suck. The maps were mostly the same, but had been changed so refamiliarization was required, plus getting to know the new maps, plus getting this reflexes back up to speed, after the lazy pace of warships. ;)

BF5B149A-34E4-432A-ADB8-FD6A5577C66A.jpeg
World of Warships
  • Larger arenas.
  • Slower paced.
  • More Strategic.
  • Awareness of relative positioning and firing range is vital.
  • No real surprises with any map, this is where strategic awareness takes its place.
  • Positioning- Once established in the firing range of a group of enemy ships, more difficult to get away.
  • Knowledge of ship’s weak points is not as vital as with tanks.
  • Tier structure that inserts artificial health points and more powerful guns as tiers increase.
  • “Game balancing”- makes for unrealistic scenarios, such as destroyers that can spit out 16 torpedoes. The goal is to make destroyers more competitive with battleships, but unrealistic, not that realism is the goal.
  • The ship combat element of War Thunder is no where as nearly polished as WoWS. See the War Thunder links above for more.
B70CE757-C1BA-49E9-8426-D56AAB02026D.jpeg

World of Tanks
  • Smaller arenas. Maps are smaller than War Thunder so they can be learned faster.
  • Faster paced, requires faster reflexes.
  • More tactical.
  • Familiarity with the map is vital.
  • Positioning- Easier to recover from bad positioning.
  • Knowledge of tank’s weak points more vital than with ships.
  • Tier structure that inserts artificial health points and more powerful guns as tiers increase.
  • “Game balancing”- Not as bad as WoWS.
  • Note, if you are looking for more realism, check out War Thunder for tanks were damage is more extreme, one-shots are common, and there are no artificial sighting ranges. However more realistic, while more challenging, is not necessarily more fun. See the War Thunder link above for more.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Now I’ve been playing both games for over a month, actually WoWS over 2 years, but restarted WoT about a month ago. In both games, I am playing mostly in the tier 5-9 range and have noticed how much easier it is to make silver in World of Warships.

I played 2 battles in WoWS. The caveat was with a premium and flags applied:
  • T6 Russian Izmail BS. I applied 64k of damage and was rewarded with 272k silver, 3730 XP, and 1295 FXP Earned.
  • T9 US Iowa BS. 55k damage delivered, with 226k silver, 7000 XP, and 3000 FXP earned.
For me, in WoTs, playing in the tier 5-10 Range a good game is 70k silver earned. I am not as good a tank driver, as a ship driver, the WoT environment is much more dynamic and tactical, and tanks are more perishable, while the WoWS is more strategic, but it’s more open, it’s harder to hide, and ships have more health and everyone gets a big bite, versus tanks, which can be destroyed in 3-10 hits, where you’d better be in the right place or the enemy tank will be dead before you get a shot, and ships, especially battleships can absorb dozens of hits.

Each game offers a different strategy. WoT Is fast paced, you must know the map, the choke holds, and good ambush spots. In WoWS, knowledge of the map is not a factor, but strategic placement and understanding relative positioning is vital. I do Random Battles, and I can never rely on my team to be competent or coordinated. But you must not place yourself in a position where multiple ships are shooting at you. This strategy involves staying on the edge of the enemy teams firing range. At the higher tiers, Cruisers become beasts who can burn you down in a hail of fire that battleships can’t match.

I bailed on War Thunder a while back, as I hate being shot by invisible tanks which happens regularly, and can happen in WoT but not as often, and smaller arenas makes it not as bad. But players may tell you it WT is more realistic, which maybe true, but more realitic is not necessarily more fun, and definitely more work.

Anyway... :)

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Now I’ve been playing both games for over a month, actually WoWS over 2 years, but restarted WoT about a month ago. In both games, I am playing mostly in the tier 5-9 range and have noticed how much easier it is to make silver in World of Warships.

I played 2 battles in WoWS. The caveat was with a premium and flags applied:
  • T6 Russian Izmail BS. I applied 64k of damage and was rewarded with 272k silver, 3730 XP, and 1295 FXP Earned.
  • T9 US Iowa BS. 55k damage delivered, with 226k silver, 7000 XP, and 3000 FXP earned.
For me, in WoTs, playing in the tier 5-10 Range a good game is 70k silver earned. I am not as good a tank driver, as a ship driver, the WoT environment is much more dynamic and tactical, and tanks are more perishable, while the WoWS is more strategic, but it’s more open, it’s harder to hide, and ships have more health and everyone gets a big bite, versus tanks, which can be destroyed in 3-10 hits, where you’d better be in the right place or the enemy tank will be dead before you get a shot, and ships, especially battleships can absorb dozens of hits.

Each game offers a different strategy. WoT Is fast paced, you must know the map, the choke holds, and good ambush spots. In WoWS, knowledge of the map is not a factor, but strategic placement and understanding relative positioning is vital. I do Random Battles, and I can never rely on my team to be competent or coordinated. But you must not place yourself in a position where multiple ships are shooting at you. This strategy involves staying on the edge of the enemy teams firing range. At the higher tiers, Cruisers become beasts who can burn you down in a hail of fire that battleships can’t match.

I bailed on War Thunder a while back, as I hate being shot by invisible tanks which happens regularly, and can happen in WoT but not as often, and smaller arenas makes it not as bad.

Anyway... :)

Which of the two do you enjoy more ?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Which of the two do you enjoy more ?
That’s hard to say. WoT is faster paced, WoWS is slower, more strategic. I like them both for different reasons, but what I don’t like is Wargaming’s consistent angling to induce the player to spend more money. If you made me pick just one, it might be WoWS because I can play a couple matches then move onto another game for the evening, more or less depending on my win rate.

WoT feels like more of a grind, but I’m sure some of that is my frame of mind, and it does offer thrills that WoWS does not. I love those instances when I’m in a fast light tank, circling a slower tank and just shooting the **** out of it because it does not have a fast enough turret traverse speed to keep it’s gun on me. However, it’s definitely easier for me to make large piles of silver in WoWS. But my tank feel much more personal than my ship.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It sounds like I would like WoWS more.
When I came back to World of Tanks after a 3-4 year break, I noticed that many of my tanks that used to be brutes were now just average. When I say brutes, mean they had big powerful guns and enough armor that you just more or less terrorize the field. My initial impression was they were nerfed, but in actuality, what has happened is power creep, other tanks, new introduced tanks have become more powerful.

And the other difference is that where as premium takes were not better than the tech tree tanks (just better earners) Now the scheme by War Gaming is to introduce powerful premiums that are more powerful than their tech tree equivalents for a short period of time, them remove them from the store, this to get players the incentive to buy them. And it’s been stated by players (unconfirmed but likely) that after a period of time they are nerfed too. The up front power is what makes them desirable to buy.

And this all falls within the WGing scheme to make make premium rounds (purchased for earned ingame currency, they used to be gold, ie $$), a requirement at the top tiers to be truly competitive and the need to subscribe to get +50% earnings (silver) to buy the premium rounds. And here is the truly heinous things about premium rounds, they don’t do more damage, they just have higher penetrstion, allowing you to actually damage those big tough t’s is shooting them in their frontal armor, and they are incredible expensive, instead of 50-200 silver a round, they are 2400-5800 a round, which if you spend your entire match shooting them, you will be either losing money, or not making enough to fund new tank purchases, unless you are a killer player, which I am not. This is why I say, you should only use silver at tiers 9 and 10 imo. Whoever this takes a huge bite out of your profits.

And for more perspective the difference between having and not having premium rounds has a huge effect on gameplay, game mechanics and the games economy. As previously stated I make huge amounts of silver in World of Wairships, and I’m convince it’s because there is no premium round and that you can typically shoot and damage the competition, although, when you are the bottom tier ship, you really have to function as backup.

Joshel

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
I don't play any of them currently; but 2 years ago, I preferred WoT. I love tanks more than ships and, in my opinion, WoWS is a little bit slow, which sometimes makes me feel bored.

Reactions: Huntn

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I wish World of Warplanes was made for Mac, I use that as the perfect way to go mindless for a while, 2 or 3 missions and I'm good. Its just a pain to boot my PC anymore. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't play any of them currently; but 2 years ago, I preferred WoT. I love tanks more than ships and, in my opinion, WoWS is a little bit slow, which sometimes makes me feel bored.
Tanks seem much more personal, desirable than owning a particular battleship. The danger for myself is the $ I allow to be sucked out of me for a killer premium tank. Over the last 10 years, I have probably spent $1000+ on this game. Since WarGaming decided to make premium tanks actually deadlier than tech tree tanks, the game is much more pay to win, although you still have to know what you are doing to do well. What they do now is offers a spiffy tank for a short period of time, then remove it from the Premium Store, this to make it more desirable, because you can’t buy it any time, instead it’s a short window.

I’ll agree Warships is slower, but there are many more opportunities to coordinate efforts, usually 2-3 main fights, where in tanks there can be 3-5 fights. I can reliably make much more in-game silver withnthe caveat that I buy a subscription which is 50% plus earnings.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wish World of Warplanes was made for Mac, I use that as the perfect way to go mindless for a while, 2 or 3 missions and I'm good. Its just a pain to boot my PC anymore. ?
My pattern with WoWS is to play until I have 3 loses or 3 in a row, then I move onto another game. I consistently make a lot of in-game silver in WoWS. With Tanks, depending on the session, I can tolerate more loses and come back for more Punishment :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brought over from Fallout 76 thread:
I played around 20k battles of WoT and I can't stand the "unbalance" and pay2win in WoT anymore.
The game is just a waste of time for the pleasure I had in the game.

Nowadays I play a lot of Warzone/COD.
I’ll say that it was when WarGaming started selling Premium Tanks that are better than tech tree (earned in game) tanks was when the game shifted to pay to win, although premium ammo although using in-game currency can also be argued as adding to the need to inject the game with real $. I don’t begrudge them the subscription, am now using the Wargamimg Premium vs the World of Tanks or World of Warship premiums.

I have many premium tanks and find that I can still enjoy the game and am dissapointed in myself that I don’t think spending $40 for a tank is outrageous, but I am trying to resist. I’ve also found that as a generalization, I have a better time in fast light tanks, or a slightly slower, but powerful mediums. The heavies spend a bit too much time in standoffs trading shots around corners.

As an alternative, I’d point you at World of Warships, although it is slower paced, there is no premium ammo, premium ships are not as a rule better that tech tree ships, seem to be better balanced, but my main grip with it are the destroyers that have unbelievably huge unrealistic torpedo salvos. This is for game balancing purposes and it’s BS if realism has any importance. Then again, I’ll mention that the game can’t be realistic with it’s tier structure, but torpedoes push me close to the edge of not playing.

SBlue1

macrumors 68010
Oct 17, 2008
Until the wrapper is updated, there is no point.
Why? Cause of Big Sur or the M1 CPU? Sorry if its a dumb question, but I can play WOWs on my old 2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina so I was hoping it would run better on a M1 MacBook Air.

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
Why? Cause of Big Sur or the M1 CPU? Sorry if its a dumb question, but I can play WOWs on my old 2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina so I was hoping it would run better on a M1 MacBook Air.
Because when Catalina was released, it took Codeweavers nearly 6 months to produce a stable wrapper. Add the new architecture into the mix, I'm genuinely doubting if it will ever get done.

lmedinas

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
slightly OT: Which Cloud Gaming can we use on M1 Macs ? Stadia is the only fully supported ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I believe that the actual game is running remotely on another computer.
Game streaming

$4.99 a month and a limited free version.

GeForce NOW connects to digital PC game stores so you can stream your own library of games. Search below to find your library of games, or look for new ones including many of the latest releases and top free-to-play games – all available instantly. World of Tanks and World of Warships are there.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After playing WoT for 3 months, they have sucked more money out of me, as I am willing to spend $40 on a tank without much thought. However, this must stop! And I am finding parity between my interest in both games, and I’m being more sensitive to being on a terrible team. At least in WoT, terrible teams die relatively quickly so you can move on to another battle. However the last 2 times I played WoT, after 3 loses, 3 terrible teams, I moved to another game.

And note although both games don’t technically require a subscription, I am now using a Wargamimg Premium subscription that allows me to play both games with 1 sub, versus a WoT Premium or WoWS Premium subs. And WOT is still a grind despite the extra 50% credits.

Last night I was playing my Tier 10 Montana, a US tech tree battleship and grossed 300,000 credits, my average is usually about 180,000 credits. The absolute most I’ve made in WoT is 100,000 credits, but this is very rare for me. Much more often I make in the 10,000 to 30,000 credits range. Generally speaking I’m a better Battleship Captain than a tank driver.

SBlue1

macrumors 68010
Oct 17, 2008
Just tried WOWS on my new M1 MacBook Air. Downloaded the wrapper with a few hiccups. The game itself runs great! I am so amazed! Faster that on my wife's two year old i7 Windows PC! I get 50 to 60 fps in medium to high settings. Wow! It used to be so painfully slow on my old MacBook Pro.

Now I am curious how it will end up at the end of January. Looks like Codeweavers will stop updating the wrapper. Will have to try NVIDIA GeForce NOW. Lets see. But for now I am enjoying the game again, the M1 chips are a blast!

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.