Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
You can find other WOW on iPhone videos on YouTube so you can check them out. I don't know why this one switched to private mode.

I haven't been a hard core WOW player but I am excited by this news. It shows the iPhone is progressing forward in software.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
playing WoW and driving? :eek:

Better get that tank gear on. You're going to need all the dodge chance you can get.

Back to the topic:

I think Blizzard has a chance to make something very useful for the iPhone. I don't think mobile WoW is it though. It is just too small a screen to pack all the information needed at one time. With fingers on the screen you're losing even more of that.

What I'd like to see is a simple program with:

-Chat (be it /guild chat only or full chat, I don't care. As long as /g works)
-Guild list (the screen showing online guild members and their notes/officer notes)
-Possibly even voice chat, although I doubt this would be implemented.
-Auction House? Maybe... See below.

I think a lot of people would like a way to operate the AH when they aren't around. But there are some issues with having a basic AH program. How are you going to get mail? How are you going to get your character to the AH?

For those who don't play WoW, in order to use the auction house one must go up to an auctioneer located in a city. Unless you leave your character at the AH guy (which most people do with at least one character) you cannot view or make any changes to auctions. So will the iPhone app be able to move you? How will it move items around in your bags? How will it get items out of the bank? How will it move your character to a bank teller? How will it get you to a mailbox to take your money/items from the AH?

Unless the iPhone app has a "your character gets to use the bank/AH/mailbox from wherever you are logged in" free card, I don't see how it will work without actually having a real game client.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I've often thought "what if" for WoW on my iPhone, but seriously I need my big screen to play. The iPhone screen would be brutal, but for the occasional casual play it would be cool. Talk about being sucked in, the addiction would follow me everywhere now! :D

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
This looks cool in concept, but knowing what I know about the iPhone and about World of Warcraft (big fan and owner of both), I ask myself - why?

Would people really enjoy an experience like this, in light of lag, control issues, battery issues, etc.? To the point that Blizzard would spend development on it? I know that I'm a cynic, but I can go ahead and say that I wouldn't.

I'd much rather see something akin to Capsuleer for the iPhone, and the way it works for EvE Online. Something that integrates all of the API data available: arena and armory data, calendar data, item database, front page news, popular blog/strat sites on an integrated RSS feed, and so on.

Maybe even break a few new walls and give Inventory, Auction House, Mail, and Tradeskill access, as long as the character logs out in an Inn. That's what I'd like to see. But a full client version of WoW, "playable" on the iPhone? I'll pass thank you.

I agree, i would love to have Auction House, talents, Inventory and other features but not the game itself since it is pointless to play on an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.