Windows World of Warships

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, May 12, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

World of Warships- has anyone been participating in the beta? If so, I'm interested in your impression. I'm wondering what kind of strategy you employ with opposing ships, just drive ar each other and shoot? There are no hills, just islands. Much of modern Naval combat seems to center on ambush for the advantage. These maps, at least the WoT maps are not huge so the opportunity for surprise is somewhat limited especially when there are not that many maps, when you know each map and where the fighting usually occurs.

shot_001_0.jpg

2. Huntn, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Brought over from the What Game You Playing thread:
    So what are the best premium ships in your opinion? I bought a T5 Murmansk, and a T5 Okhotnik.

The difficulty I find with this game, is judging when you are getting in over your head. And the adage: first seen, first kilt, or at least first shot appears to be oh so true. :)

3. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The T5 Giulio Cesare is very good. It is rare because it doesn't spend too much time in the premium rotation. Also the T9 Jean Bart is also a monster, it's roof is insane.

Yeah, first shot helps but I've found in a cruiser or destroyer weaving in and out of max range of the bad guy is really good. I tend to broadside targets and then when they start aiming at me I try to boat directly away because shooting fleeing targets is so hard.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I noticed that some of the top ships are just too expensive. I was buying T8 tanks, the top premium tier, in WOTs for about $50. I’ll never buy a ship for $100.

5. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

What is sad is it used to not be like that. WoWs was certainly taking a different angle but they are slowly porting their EU monetization model into the NA servers. Guess they realized that unlike the RU region the NA region had just as much money to blow as the EU region.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

With my win rate in WoWS, I have no illusions that it would help with that. :) Part of the problem are random teams which often include players worse than myself. One thing I’ve become very aware of is to not overcommit or as a single ship launch into a group of 3 or more NMEs.

7. Huntn, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I broke down and bought a Black Massachusetts on sale. Been getting up the nerve to play it. So far, I bought a T5 cruiser (Murmansk), gunboat destroyer (Okhotnik) and Battleship (Texas). This is it, not spending any more on premium ships for a hopefully long while. ;)

A1DCFCFA-BF96-4E05-8208-D1169CB0DFC8.jpeg

7DA860F6-7065-469A-8028-C0926DC4F97B.jpeg

06367A71-9900-4EF8-8FD5-40776702359D.jpeg

154105D0-AB90-4EBB-90C7-60F127178F1F.jpeg

8. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Might be time to dip my toes into WoWs a bit. Been too sucked into Rust and EVE and might need a change for a bit.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Recently purchased a Scharnhorn Battleship, tier 7, max fun. Fast ship, with a fast reload.

0D9A2480-E905-4E84-9880-34963CC002D9.jpeg
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 at 3:54 PM ---
    Are you experienced with this game or World of Tanks? The biggest difference with WoWS vs WoT, is that although situational awareness is important in both games, it is absolutely crucial in WoWS. In most cases once you get in over your head, it’s hard to extract yourself because there are not many places to hide.

10. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I've played WoT way more than WoWs, i used to play a lot in WoT beta but i lost my old account. Yea situational awareness is key. I feel like WoWs is less punishing as the current state of WoT means if you slip up and get out of position you are going to get alpha'd where as WoWs will allow you to get away because the TTK seems way bigger.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I played WOT seriously for about three years before burning out. I briefly tried Armored Warfare but it did not stick with me. Recently at the urging of a friend I started up WoWS which at first I thought it was simplistic, but quickly discovered that it is hard in a different way. And I also returned to WOT and quickly wondered what happened to it? It’s hard to put my finger on, but WoT is much less fun then it used to be. Is it me or is it the game?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:45 AM ---
    Found this: https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-tank-games