Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Came home for lunch and got a quick battle in. I played my first game with subs too. I was not a sub, wasn't able to play as one. This battle only had one CV, crusiers and destroyers with submarines, no battleships. not sure if that was just how it was drawn or if it was intentional for the testing of game-play.

But I was the USS Dallas and I got 4 hits on a sub with depth charges, though I'm unsure what the range is to fire them. I just winged it and fired them when I was really close to him. I ended up sinking the sub by running him over! He was submerged but not deep enough, though I didn't think to pay attention to how deep it displayed he was. I was only trying to drive over-top him and drop more charges and I ended up hitting him. I took heavy damage and flooding from the hit but survived the collision.

Torps fired from subs or at subs from surface ships appear to be much smaller on the screen than normal torps. The triangle indicator (red or white) are very small and not as easily seen, but still visible.

I have to head back to the office, and when I get home later, I'll play a few more games.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Played a few more games this afternoon. I bought a tier VI BB, the New Mexico and with that I could play in the sub battles. So yeah, there is a full spread of ships to use in them.

I didn't get close up to any subs with the BB since I stayed way far back from the action. Though one did fire torps at me and missed hugely.

With the BB's and the spotter planes, I feel like an old AT&T commercial, "reach out and touch someone." haha

You know @Huntn the one thing that bothers me about other players, especially this past week, is those idiots in smaller ships who hit me. A game today I played as the New Mexico and some moron in a tin can (DD) hits me in open water and we both get dinged for damaging a friendly player. Those BB's don't turn or stop on a dime like the DD's do and he should have been paying attention. He's just a teeny tiny flea next to my ship and how do I get dinged for it?

I've been hit several times over the last few days by smaller ships in open water and I get dinged for it as well. At least I haven't turned pink yet...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Played a few more games this afternoon. I bought a tier VI BB, the New Mexico and with that I could play in the sub battles. So yeah, there is a full spread of ships to use in them.

I didn't get close up to any subs with the BB since I stayed way far back from the action. Though one did fire torps at me and missed hugely.

With the BB's and the spotter planes, I feel like an old AT&T commercial, "reach out and touch someone." haha

You know @Huntn the one thing that bothers me about other players, especially this past week, is those idiots in smaller ships who hit me. A game today I played as the New Mexico and some moron in a tin can (DD) hits me in open water and we both get dinged for damaging a friendly player. Those BB's don't turn or stop on a dime like the DD's do and he should have been paying attention. He's just a teeny tiny flea next to my ship and how do I get dinged for it?

I've been hit several times over the last few days by smaller ships in open water and I get dinged for it as well. At least I haven't turned pink yet...
You are moving up. :) My guess is you’ve already figured it out, but when you are a 6 in an 8 battle in a BS, never be out in front. You‘ll just be prime rib for the T8 players and they’ll all be trying to kill you. :)

You won’t turn pink for collisions (just gunfire) and the penalty is small. :)
I’m hostile towards subs, I don’t believe their presence will improve the game, just cause me to grip more about it, like how many torps will they have in a salvo, and how fast can they go under water? My impression is that they have a speed buff to keep them in the battle.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You are moving up. :) My guess is you’ve already figured it out, but when you are a 6 in an 8 battle in a BS, never be out in front. You‘ll just be prime rib for the T8 players and they’ll all be trying to kill you. :)
I saw a BB yesterday on OPFOR (military jargon for opposing force) who zipped up the middle as soon as the game started. He was within range of pretty much everyone and he got pulverized as my whole team fired at him at once.

I've been staying far back and only come in close enough to keep the OPFOR BB's just inside my firing range. I circle back and forth in the rear area to keep moving most of the time. Depending on the map, I might park behind an island where I can still fire over top of it or just around it at long range targets.

Once I figured out how to enable all the extra data points on the game screen and make the mini map much larger, I started playing a lot better by making more informed strategic decisions. Just having the map where I can see everything, including the little circle at the end of my line of fire indicating where my shells should land has helped a lot.

You won’t turn pink for collisions (just gunfire) and the penalty is small. :)
I’m hostile towards subs, I don’t believe their presence will improve the game, just cause me to grip more about it, like how many torps will they have in a salvo, and how fast can they go under water? My impression is that they have a speed buff to keep them in the battle.
Good to know I won't turn pink for those collisions. It still bugs me that these players can't pay enough attention to where they're going. They must be driving their ships while texting I suppose.

As for the subs, my initial feeling on the game-play dynamic after a handful of games yesterday is that if you're a larger ship, a battleship or a heavy cruiser, and you hang out in the back like you should, you won't encounter the subs nearly as much as those smaller ships up front.

It looks like they can only fire 2 torps at a time. I don't know how long it takes to submerge, but they can't stay down for too long because they have to surface to recharge their batteries. But if they want to stay down longer, they have to slow down to a crawl or stop to keep the battery discharge rate low. That makes them an easy target for depth charge attacks. Their hulls are paper thin so they're not that hard to kill.

I did have a sub make it's way back toward me in the New Mexico and he fired at me from a moderate distance and even with the poor handling of my ship I managed to easily avoid the torps.

I think if you play as a DD or a light cruiser, the game dynamic with subs will be a lot different as those are the ships that will engage the subs more often that not.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I saw a BB yesterday on OPFOR (military jargon for opposing force) who zipped up the middle as soon as the game started. He was within range of pretty much everyone and he got pulverized as my whole team fired at him at once.

I've been staying far back and only come in close enough to keep the OPFOR BB's just inside my firing range. I circle back and forth in the rear area to keep moving most of the time. Depending on the map, I might park behind an island where I can still fire over top of it or just around it at long range targets.

Once I figured out how to enable all the extra data points on the game screen and make the mini map much larger, I started playing a lot better by making more informed strategic decisions. Just having the map where I can see everything, including the little circle at the end of my line of fire indicating where my shells should land has helped a lot.

Good to know I won't turn pink for those collisions. It still bugs me that these players can't pay enough attention to where they're going. They must be driving their ships while texting I suppose.

As for the subs, my initial feeling on the game-play dynamic after a handful of games yesterday is that if you're a larger ship, a battleship or a heavy cruiser, and you hang out in the back like you should, you won't encounter the subs nearly as much as those smaller ships up front.

It looks like they can only fire 2 torps at a time. I don't know how long it takes to submerge, but they can't stay down for too long because they have to surface to recharge their batteries. But if they want to stay down longer, they have to slow down to a crawl or stop to keep the battery discharge rate low. That makes them an easy target for depth charge attacks. Their hulls are paper thin so they're not that hard to kill.

I did have a sub make it's way back toward me in the New Mexico and he fired at me from a moderate distance and even with the poor handling of my ship I managed to easily avoid the torps.

I think if you play as a DD or a light cruiser, the game dynamic with subs will be a lot different as those are the ships that will engage the subs more often that not.
Good observations. :)
In World of Tanks, I used to say first seen, first shot. Besides it’s the role of DDs and Cruisers to be out front, but even they have to watch their range. It seems like every match, someone is yelled at to get back as they mindlessly plow forward.

I’ll emphasize that in team battles, tactics would be organized and different than in Random Battles which usually are a big gaggle. If I see I am part of a 3 ship group heading for a zone that 5 red ships are closing on, I advise my group to fall back at least a bit. Usually, it’s the ship out front that gets pounded into oblivion. I’ll take this moment to acknowledge the difficulty and skill required to drive a DD and survive. :)

Bottom line, most of the time, with full health and reasonable skill, numbers win.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Been playing a lot this weekend. I joined a clan last week and got to play with them the last two nights. Chatting on Discord makes it fun, too.

Also I got a tier VII ship and played in my first ranked battles. Those seem to be far more organized and better than the random battles.

Oh, I also unlocked subs for sub play. I have to say it's rather difficult to play and I haven't figured out how to ping and shoot, or shoot and ping to get the torps to home in. I only played a handful of games as a sub, and I have to say that it wasn't nearly as fun as I was hoping it would be. I think I still prefer surface ships instead.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Been playing a lot this weekend. I joined a clan last week and got to play with them the last two nights. Chatting on Discord makes it fun, too.

Also I got a tier VII ship and played in my first ranked battles. Those seem to be far more organized and better than the random battles.

Oh, I also unlocked subs for sub play. I have to say it's rather difficult to play and I haven't figured out how to ping and shoot, or shoot and ping to get the torps to home in. I only played a handful of games as a sub, and I have to say that it wasn't nearly as fun as I was hoping it would be. I think I still prefer surface ships instead.
I’m in a clan but as far as I can tell it’s just for the benefits of lower cost ships. I never notice anyone playing. I played in a World of Tanks Clan for a while and yes it’s much more organized but you are also in a higher tier competition. I’d be curious to observe one of those games. A prime difference, is having a team or squad lead who keeps track of both the tactical and strategic situation. At least there when someone says push, you know you others will come to, much different than Random where you can’t trust anyone.

I’ve just about decided that the weekends are the worst time to play, not sure if it’s the pack of experts or imbeciles who show up. Still trying to figure out why I end up on so many teams where the team seems to evaporate around me.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Picked up a tier VIII BB tonight. USS North Carolina

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.06 - 19.54.16.48.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nope. I have no mods of any sort. I just use what options are available by default.
It you want to know more, let me know. Some mods are very good at giving you more information. The 2 most valuable mods I have are the sight mod, and a mod that when I point at an enemy ship tells me it’s armament, including if it carries torps and their range if it does. This make life much more simple when tangoing with Cruisers and Destroyers. :D

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It you want to know more, let me know. Some mods are very good at giving you more information. The 2 most valuable mods I have are the sight mod, and a mod that when I point at an enemy ship tells me it’s armament, including if it carries torps and their range is if it does. This make life much more simple when tangoing with Cruisers and Destroyers. :D
Yah, I’m interested. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@SandboxGeneral

World of Warships, Aslain WoWS Mod Package Settings June2020

Go to this page and pick one of the download links. I usually pick number 2, but click on [Direct] on the right, not the download link #2 on the left. As I remember the one on the left tries to get you to join something. The direct link on the right just downloads the latest mod build.
Note: Ignore the 2015 date on this page, it has the latest version of the mod for the latest version of the game.

Updating the mod: When ever I install an update, every time there is a game update, I choose the install from scratch option within the mod, and check all of the boxes.

When you launch the mod installer Windows may give you a warning. I usually run Bit Defender on it and have yet to find any problem with the download.

Preview- Make sure you select "preview" at the beginning of the mod install so you can see graphic displays of what the mod does for you. Not all of the items have preview graphics. Sometimes just the top one in a category will provide the a preview, but you then have to pay attention to which item is checked to install when you are done previewing the one you want.

Nomogram Modern Dynamic Crosshair.png

Regarding the Nomogram sight, my impression is it gives you a measurement based on speed in knots. Someone said it represents seconds, but I'm pretty confident, where as I used to have to look at both seconds of flight for my shell (dynamic sight) and use that to measure out, seconds on horizontal scale, now I just use the top speed of the ship (if the smoke is flat) and use the number on the scale equal to what I think the speed of the ship is. This works for me.

This discussion may or may not help, I think the author was confused and someone corrected him: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/t...the-modstation-and-why-you-should-try-it-out/

Obviously the info from the Enemy Info mod is vital, unless you have a chart of every ship and it's top speed, which would be more inconvenient imo to glance at vs having it displayed on your minimap. :)

When you have the Enemy Info (which shows up down by your minimap when you point your curser at the enemy ship, that will you show it's top capable speed and if it has torps, and torp range for that boat. You have to guess the ships speed. When the smoke from the ships smokestacks is almost straight back, it's going full speed. The big numbers you see on the horizontal line of the sight, 10, 20, 30, 40 (on the top of the line) represents a speed. For ships angling, you have to foreshorten the speed based on the angle, but for the N. Carolina, this removes a significant burden in leading as compared to other ships.

Personally, I'd pick a lower tier ship to make sure the sight is working properly.

Note Prior to Battle: For the Dynamic Sight to work, in Settings:Controls before starting a battle, select Alternative Interface Mode to Full, and under Crosshair, select Dynamic Sight.

Categories in Green
Bolded Installed

Ship Contour Icons

• MajorRenegade’s icon- no
  • Ship Previews- Gold Premium Ship Icons.
Screen Panels-
  • Side Panels by Roslich
  • At the Top: Class Panel with hp bars, Class Panels:v1
CrossHairs-
  • crosshair Nomogram (dynamic)- Nomogram: Classic & Modern. Note I also have Nomogram Classic Top & Top Web (by Stiv372), but I think you only need the top one selected (Classic & Modern), but during the battle, if you don't see the one you want, a single horizontal line with number, `10, 20, 30 on top of the line, during the battle, you can select the little setting icon (on the battle screen, I think it's a gear) and then select the sight you want from a list, under Crosshairs.
  • Crosshair Smart Horizon- no.
  • Static crosshairs- Crosshair by Medius- Dolphin 4 [Type1]- But if using dynamic, you don't have to select this.
  • Binocular Frame Remover- yes
  • Visibility indicator Remover- no
  • Gun Marker Shapes: marker #2
  • More Visible Range Finder; range finder blue
Camera Mods Category
  • Port Zoom Out- yes
  • Camera Zeiss: Zeiss Expert Ix25
Over Target Markers (OTM)
  • version by BADoBEST, BADoBEST:HP +nick
  • Assitant-
  • Ship movment Indicator, SMI:v2 (aslain)- you can see a green, red, or purple dot of the enemy ship showing their direction of movement or stopped.
Battle GUI Customization
  • Detection Icons: Blueman
  • Torpedo Warning v1
  • Target Lock Markers: Red
Minimap Mod
  • Enlarge Shp Names, font size 12
  • Minimap Images: customizable minimap by autospy
  • Minimap by fugetsu
Port Mods
  • Tech Tree: All ships in tech-tree by Arnak
  • Quick Access to Signals
  • Ship Win Rate on Carousel- Yes, but not working.
  • Camouflage Fileters- no
  • Carousel extended- yes
  • More visible trained commander perks- yes
  • Return Commander to his ship- no longer listed.
  • Clear Vision- yes
  • Quick Demount Signals (for flags)- yes
  • Good News- no
  • Stingy by default- yes
  • Adjustable Div chat- no
  • Permanent Karmflage- no
Dock Appearance- no
Flags- no
On Screen Battle Display
  • Custom Shells and Tacer Contrails: shells and tracers by Butterkeks
  • Tracer contrails (only); Customized tracer contrails, anti-aircraft guns: colored lines.
  • Dirt Repellent
  • Cruise Control: Cruise Control by SEA-Group- no longer listed
  • The GUI Elements: Move GUI elements #1- no longer listed.
  • Ribbons: Small ribons
  • Alt Hud: Navigator: hootorez style
  • Smoke Indicator
  • Mouse Pointers: m0nstertr4x
  • Info Panel- enemy- yes
  • Info Panel self- yes
  • Advanced HP bar indicator- yes
  • Stopwatch- gone?
  • Help Me! (captain kills and signal flag helps- yes
In Battle Chat mods-
  • Group 1: That Censorship Remover [for ASIAN client]
Commander Crew Appearance- none

Sound Mods-
  • Torpedo Warning Voice: torpedo warning: POI (by Aslain)
Ship Skins and appearance- none
Text Mods- none
Map Environment Mods- none
Tweaks- none
External Apps- none
Full Packages- none

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
@Huntn Thanks for putting all that together. It's a lot to digest there! I will look into it this week and see how it goes.

Does adding these, or any, mods violate any TOS with WG or Steam?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@Huntn Thanks for putting all that together. It's a lot to digest there! I will look into it this week and see how it goes.

Does adding these, or any, mods violate any TOS with WG or Steam?

No problem, I have this list typed up so I can keep track if I ever have to reselect items from scratch. As far as I know, this mod author does not include illegal mods in his pack. See this article:

Of interest, I did have a timer mod listed, but it was not tied to any particular ship, you could start it and if you knew the load time for a ship could guesstimate it’s next shot, but I don’t think that one is in the pack any longer.

Regarding ghosts of vehicles where they were last detected, I don’t have a mod that does that (as far as I know) but I see this in the game all the time. Do you notice that?

List of forbidden features:
  • Mods that reveal the position of enemies in a way not included in the vanilla client, by marking objects destroyed on the map and minimap in real-time, by altering the display of shell flight tracers or calculating the position of enemy SPGs with tracers and marking them, as well as those that keep spotted vehicles displayed, even when you aren’t aiming at them.
  • Software that makes it easier to block an enemy’s shell by indicating their exact aiming point, for example, with a laser beam.
  • Modifications that alert you when spotted vehicles are reloading or show enemy vehicles’ reloading timers.
  • Auto-aim or so-called aim-bots that provide more functionality than the aim lock in the vanilla client, specifically including those that aim at the enemy's weak spots and/or lead the aim automatically so that a cheater can focus on manoeuvring their tank.
  • Software that enables the automatic use of non-Premium consumables.
  • Mods that aid in finding enemies by letting you adjust the transparency of objects on the map.
  • Software that leaves ghosts of enemy vehicles on the battlefield, placed where they were last detected.
  • Mods that actually alter the physical properties, performance characteristics, or effects of any vehicle or object in the game, or subvert the game rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So, what is the folder to install it in? I'm running WoWs on Steam. When I point the installer to the game folder it does not find it.

Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So, what is the folder to install it in? I'm running WoWs on Steam. When I point the installer to the game folder it does not find it.

View attachment 922636 View attachment 922637
I'm not running my game on Steam. Maybe this will help: https://steamcommunity.com/app/552990/discussions/0/1696040635913253434/

Also an update for making sure you are looking at the correct sight. If the wrong one appears during the fight and you have more than one installed, during the Battle, hit escape like you are leaving the battle, but don't leave, instead click on settings and on the new window that appears select you sight there. It's just like the Pre-Battle Settings Page, but during the battle. You want the modern Nomogram sight.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@SandboxGeneral. Upon the release of WoWS 9.5, I've been downloading a new version of the Aslain Mod pack each day for the last 3 days because not all the mods featured in this pack will be available the same day of the game release. There are several mod authors who submit their mods for this pack. Yesterday I downloaded the Mod Pack v9.5.0 #3. One of the mods I like is a display of win rates on your ships while looking at the port list of ships. Each little ship icon displays the win rate. As of today, that has yet to be added back in, so I will just check the Aslain.com site for the next version #4 and hope that particular mod reappears in the pack.

This is a good reason to keep a list of what you've installed so you can remember what you are looking for to put back in. ;)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This is a good reason to keep a list of what you've installed so you can remember what you are looking for to put back in
Good tip.

I haven't installed any mods yet. I don't play during the work week really, and maybe only on Saturday and Sunday. So I still need to have a look at everything.

Thanks for all the info nonetheless though. :)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Curious if either of you are building the Odin in 9.5? I’ve stopped Sub Matches. Still too OP with their Speed Boost for me.

I was in a Clan once. Same experience. Never was anyone to start a match with.

Great thread, btw, copious amounts of great information. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Curious if either of you are building the Odin in 9.5? I’ve stopped Sub Matches. Still too OP with their Speed Boost for me.

I was in a Clan once. Same experience. Never was anyone to start a match with.

Great thread, btw, copious amounts of great information. ?
Lol, I was just thinking about that. Doesn’t the Odin build just happen if you are playing the game?

Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. If you want it straight, WGing is a bunch of money grabbers, the last build fiasco was back around Christmas, where they urged you to buy parts of it while building it. I talked about it in this thread when it happened. I spent money on it and got some secondary ship, but not what I wanted. I’m a casual player not suited to grinding hard or overpaying. Learned an important lesson. My impression is that unless you are a hard core player it’s tough to successfully grind for it, so I describe it as a sham for average players, but you can tell I have a bad attitude. :)

For the Odin, I’ve already seen a couple in battles, so some people are either playing hard or purchasing it for about $140 as I calculated. They offered 8000 deblumes ($30) to finish the first 8 stages and I passed on their generosity. I think it was 20 phases for 1800 deblumes per stage.

Have they published how many credits it takes to finish it? Not sure.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Lol, I was just thinking about that. Doesn’t the Odin build just happen if you are playing the game?

Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. If you want it straight, WGing is a bunch of money grabbers, the last build fiasco was back around Christmas, where they urged you to buy parts of it while building it. I talked about it in this thread when it happened. I spent money on it and got some secondary ship, but not what I wanted. I’m a casual player not suited to grinding hard or overpaying. Learned an important lesson. My impression is that unless you are a hard core player it’s tough to successfully grind for it, so I describe it as a sham for average players, but you can tell I have a bad attitude. :)

For the Odin, I’ve already seen a couple in battles, so some people are either playing hard or purchasing it for about $140 as I calculated. They offered 8000 deblumes ($30) to finish the first 8 stages and I passed on their generosity. I think it was 20 phases for 1800 deblumes per stage.

Have they published how many credits it takes to finish it? Not sure.

Yes, the build happens as you play. I was curious if you guys were Whales and were using Doubloons ?

It‘s 1,750 per each of the 20 Stages. I know my oldest is playing hard to get it. He is in Stage 13 as of yesterday. I’m not trying for it TBO. Too similar to Scharnhorst to want. Even with its heavy secondaries and their LONG range the firing angles seem wonky to me.

As for credits to finish you have the option to use 29,000 doubloons and buy it outright with the starter pack I believe?

It’s always amazing how many hand over the cash in these schemes.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, the build happens as you play. I was curious if you guys were Whales and were using Doubloons ?

It‘s 1,750 per each of the 20 Stages. I know my oldest is playing hard to get it. He is in Stage 13 as of yesterday. I’m not trying for it TBO. Too similar to Scharnhorst to want. Even with its heavy secondaries and their LONG range the firing angles seem wonky to me.

As for credits to finish you have the option to use 29,000 doubloons and buy it outright with the starter pack I believe?

It’s always amazing how many hand over the cash in these schemes.
By my calculations that would be about $116. They had the starter pack on sale until phase 1 was over.
and maybe that’s the difference between the $140 I quoted. Do you know what the last two phases cost?

I killed an Odin tonight with my Richelieu, but he was showing his side to me while he was trying to finish off a N.Carolina before he died. :)

My limit is about $60 to buy a premium ship, and with a lot of these ships they bundle it up with a Captain and flags where I’ve seen them go for $140 and up. I did earn a Jean Bart with coal, my kind of purchase. :)

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
By my calculations that would be about $116. They had the starter pack on sale until phase 1 was over.
and maybe that’s the difference between the $140 I quoted. Do you know what the last two phases cost?

I killed an Odin tonight with my Richelieu, but he was showing his side to me while he was trying to finish off a N.Carolina before he died. :)

My limit is about $60 to buy a premium ship, and with a lot of these ships they bundle it up with a Captain and flags where I’ve seen them go for $140 and up. I did earn a Jean Bart with coal, my kind of purchase. :)

I'd have to check with my oldest on the last two phases. He has gone up against a couple Odins . He's not impressed. Of the new offerings he really likes the Agir and the Siegfried. Personally, I think the Alaska is still the most well rounded ship in the Super Cruiser Class. He says the secondaries on the Siegfried are intense, and it has the same 380mm mains as the Bismarck, but he is irritated as it's stuck behind The Research Bureau. This seems to be a point of irritation for him. My youngest has stopped playing for a while, as he just started a new position (promotion at work) and has been really killing the hours.

I was talking to my oldest last night about the Odin after he texted me about a victory he just had in a match. He is a member of a fairly stout Clan (90th) and was in a match with (CHASE) that is founded by that big Streamer iChase. He's right up there with Flamu, and Notser. Anyway he was on cloud nine as he sunk iChase. Apparently iChase was in the Smolensk and my son was in the Kurfurst. He got into a slugfest and took the Smolensk out with his secondaries. I was LMAO he was so excited. He loves getting into matches with these Streamers. I'm just happy plugging along in random battles and trying to be a good team player.

When I first started years and years ago, all I cared about was charging in and slugging it out. The good old days of BB domination and not so much Wargaming Greed. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    620.4 KB · Views: 182

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'd have to check with my oldest on the last two phases. He has gone up against a couple Odins . He's not impressed. Of the new offerings he really likes the Agir and the Siegfried. Personally, I think the Alaska is still the most well rounded ship in the Super Cruiser Class. He says the secondaries on the Siegfried are intense, and it has the same 380mm mains as the Bismarck, but he is irritated as it's stuck behind The Research Bureau. This seems to be a point of irritation for him. My youngest has stopped playing for a while, as he just started a new position (promotion at work) and has been really killing the hours.

I was talking to my oldest last night about the Odin after he texted me about a victory he just had in a match. He is a member of a fairly stout Clan (90th) and was in a match with (CHASE) that is founded by that big Streamer iChase. He's right up there with Flamu, and Notser. Anyway he was on cloud nine as he sunk iChase. Apparently iChase was in the Smolensk and my son was in the Kurfurst. He got into a slugfest and took the Smolensk out with his secondaries. I was LMAO he was so excited. He loves getting into matches with these Streamers. I'm just happy plugging along in random battles and trying to be a good team player.

When I first started years and years ago, all I cared about was charging in and slugging it out. The good old days of BB domination and not so much Wargaming Greed. ;)
The Alaska is definitely a dangerous ship. Sounds like you son is having fun. Clan play is much different than Random Play. The Rules to live by I posted back in this tread are Random Battle Rules To Live By. ;)
It’s really nice to get in group of players who understand the right time to surge, versus group hugging in the back field while the enemy proceeds to take all of the zones. ?

I played some ranked battles in World of Tanks a long time ago as part of a clan and it was definitely a higher level of play. I choose to not get that dedicated in WoWS but then, I have to put up with Random Battles and people who just don’t understand tactical distancing, my term. :) Last night I was on the left flank of a battle and 2 out of 3 (I was no.3) of the battleships just drove into the solid range of the larger enemy group and were promptly killed.

I think the worst thing about WoWS structure is the ranking, when a tier 9 cruiser is so much greater than a tier 7 battleship. I don’t think they should be facing each other. My belief is at that level there should only be a 2 tier spread in battles. And even with a tier 9 battleship vs tier 9 cruiser, one on one, they can burn you down when you are getting hit with 10 shells every 5 seconds, at least it feels that way. Don’t get me started about the number of torpedoes destroyers carry. ?

Anyway, when I found myself as a 7 BB in a 9 battle, I just cruise around the backfield looking for opportunities. This is definitely a case of first seen, first killed. I managed to kill a 9 BB last night, of course he was already close to death. Then I was only one of two 8s in a 10 battle, bastards. :)

When I max out my BB lines, and if I’m still playing, most likely I’ll start working on cruisers again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.