Worried about how bad AT&T Is...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WannaGoMac, Jun 21, 2009.

1. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

I am a future iPhone 3gs owner. First iphone.

EVERYONE keeps telling me the same thing, iphone is great and AT&T is beyond awful -- so bad that the iPhone barely trumps how bad the AT&T network is?

Beginning to get worried I should have stuck with a better carrier for a lessor phone.

Please make me feel better that it's not THAAAT bad AT&T (or Suckular as we used to call Cingular).

2. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

a lot depends on where you live. I get Average to better than average coverage, which with the iPhone, trumps. In major cities you usually will get excellent coverage.

3. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I have nothing but good things to say about AT&T in my area. Perfect service everywhere. Never had a dropped call.

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have had ATT for 5 years and never had any problems with them.. I feel they are a great network.. 3G works great, no dropped calls, bars in all the places i am, customer service is a bit ditzy but you can find some great people to help you. So don't worry and just enjoy your future iPhone

5. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I live in Phoenix and I have full bars everywhere. Well... Besides my bathroom. I have never dropped a call either.

6. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

you can say the same thing about Customer Service for about any company. You will have some excellent people who will go out of there way for you. Or you could have some duds.

7. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

It seems, just based on anecdotal evidence, that everyone hates their cell phone provider.

If someone likes their cell phone provider, chances are it's because they hated the last one they had so much that it drove them to switch and anything seems better by comparison.

And, chances are, for every 1 person who likes their provider out there, you can find 10 negative opinions going the other direction.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It is pretty terrible

At least for me....and I have used it in several major cities

I love the iPhone and will continue using it but the AT&T service is by far terrible

9. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I had to get rid of my iPhone due to dropped calls, bad signals, slow ass edge, and straight to voice mail calls. Meaning the calls wouldn't actually ring the phone, just acted like the phone was off and went straight to voice mail for the person calling. I switched and haven't looked back. ATT is a ripoff and a terrible carrier, but your miles may vary. YMMV!!

Oh i'm in Surprise, which is a suburb of Phoenix. In Phoenix it was good to go.

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I dont think ATT is bad at all. Stupid, yea. Bad, no

Ok they havent kept up with this whole MMS thing. And with tethering, well sorry that they dont want to crash their system with 40 million people connected to their computer. But i think ATT is fine.

Oh and coverage down here in Metro Atlanta is really good

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

If ATT was half as bad as some like to make, the iPhone would be a flop. Seriously, if someone has such huge problems with ATT, an iPhone doesn't make up for it. Go somewhere else.

12. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's great for me (Atlanta area). I think the reason you hear about it so much is that apparently it IS really bad in California, which is where most tech journalists are, so they get to make a lot more noise about it.

13. bremb0 macrumors newbie

100% agreed. I was getting dropped calls left and right. I couldn't even hold a conversation while driving down the freeway in So Cal without numerous dropped calls. At&t has some serious work ahead of them, their network is so saturated. Verizon has more customer and they don't have as many problems as At&t does.

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

No, it is that huge a problem for me yet I deal with it.

I use the mail option often, I text often, and use the apps often

The dropped calls are an embarrassment to AT&T

15. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yup, same here

16. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Where do you live at?

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Bought the phone in Baton Rouge. Split time there and New Orleans.

Moved to Chicago for a few months with it and got the 3G

Am now in DC for work

I travel often :D

18. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

So ATT is bad in DC i take it?

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

the old saying goes; Location Location Location.

Verizon in my house is non-exsistant. ATT no 3G but full Edge, never less than 5 Bars even in my cellar because as I look out my window there is an ATT tower.

Customer service with ATT via phone has bee pretty good. Corporate stores are not as convenient as verizons
    Verizon on the other hand, had horrible customer service on the phone but there are far more corporate stores in my area that offer OUTSTANDING customer service.

Each service has their dead spots, weak signal strengths and their little quirks.

Verizon's web programs drove me crazy, where the iphone has a straight forward web experience.

20. swb1192 macrumors 6502

I'm going to be buying my first iPhone too, coming from Verizon.

I think we just hear lots of bad things about AT&T because, of course, people are more willing to complain about their service than praise it. In this thread is looks like there are a lot of people that like AT&T.

Yay! I live in Phoenix (near the new Scottsdale Quarter Apple Store). I'm glad to hear that there is good service. Can't wait to get the iPhone... I'll be getting a corporate discount too, so I'm happy.

21. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You should tell us which city you live in. This way people who live there can tell you if the service is of the suck or not.

I live in Dallas and get good coverage. But people in NYC and parts of California won't be as lucky.

22. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

AT&T has been good in LA. Sure you get a few dropped calls no and then, but overall service is great.

23. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I live here and don't have any issue with AT&T.

24. camarobh macrumors 6502

AT&T service for me in San Diego is great. No dropped calls, no issues at all. I switched from Verizon (also good in San Diego) for the original iPhone. My father in law lives in Murietta (about 50 miles North of San Diego) and coverage there is spotty, especially in-doors. So I agree with "your mileage may vary", it depends on where you use the service.

25. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ok, well we have Atlanta, Dallas, DC, San Diego and Phenix all with good service.

We just need the OP to tell us what city they're in!