Worried...Addicted to Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IconicIdentity, Jun 30, 2008.

1. IconicIdentity macrumors member

I don't know guys...lately I've been...

Well first let me go into my background story.

So I'm 18, poor, at college, (Pharmacology Major). I grew up in a pretty wealthy family. I had an ibook G3 in 8th Grade a Powerbook G4 in 9th and 10 grade. I got a Blackbook intel core duo 2.0 ghz/2gb/80gb the summer before my senior year in highschool. Well to make a long story short my parents lost their business and we became poor (welfare) selling our stuff just to eat...but I never gave up my blackbook. I think I would have rather starved.

Anyway....fast forward and I came into a little bit of money this march b/c my dad got disability and the first thing I wanted to do is buy a new laptop. I'm thinking if they don't too much when Montevina comes out, I'll probably just get the high end white macbook. I like the black better...but I need to look at something different for the next year (I've already decided I'm going to upgrade to Nehalem when it comes out).

Ok heres the problem...Ive been spending 3-5 hours a day on macrumors....reading and reading...Ive been to store.apple.com at least 30 times in the last week to look at....the current models...fantasizing about getting my new white macbook! I've been looking up benchmarks for hours everyday just wondering how much an update my new macbook will be. Which really is a waste of time, because I have the money and I will buy it the day the new models are released! It makes no difference! I've been an apple fan my whole life...but now it's obsession...I don't know what to do...I've been reading thread and threads about macbooks and even the pros....I've always done this research type stuff like most of us do here on MR....but 4-5 hours a day...for the past 3 weeks?

2. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You're obsessed,

Don't buy a new book, invest that cash into the stock market so you can get some food, or pay off your college debt when you are out or help your family out or something.

is that current book too slow or something? Why do you need a new machine?

4. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

Seriously dude... You got your Blackbook the summer before your Sr. year in HS, and now you are in the summer before your Sop. year in College? Can you really justify a new computer for a Pharmacology degree when your on welfare as you say? I mean, I'm obsessed with Apple a bit too, but I stuck with my Ti Powerbook for almost 5 years until I had the EXTRA money

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yeah, i dont see any reason as to why you are needing a new macbook. The one you have now should still be great. I understand that you once came from a wealthy family, but you have to get yourself into a mind-set that you dont have it anymore. save your money, i PROMISE you will need the money later on down the road, for something MUCH more important than a computer to check macrumors on....

besides all that...welcome to macrumors. your obsession will only grow stronger around these here parts!

6. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

eh guys..

i think he has the money..

heh! we have all been there, trust me once you get your mac you will be averaging an hour on macrumors and 10 minutes on the apple store daily ;)

7. IconicIdentity thread starter macrumors member

Yeah this macbook is to slow for me. It's just not snappy enough anymore...when I first got it I was used to the 1.0 ghz powerbook, and I think my fingers were accustomed to moving a certain speed. I got the Blackbook and it semeed so fast. Now I'm used to it and my fingers move faster than the computer does and it feels slow...I'm itching for a new one

8. kabunaru Guest

Here's a silly suggestion:
    Turn off the computers. Go find a girl and get layed. That will change you. :p

Here's a serious suggestion:
    Seriously, you are really obsessed with Apple. Don't you have any other hobbies to do? Go ride a bike or something or go take a vacation or something.

9. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

What are you doing with your computer?

10. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

You want my opinion? You're a f*cking imbecile. And a selfish one at that. Your family's on welfare and you want a new MacBook?

You want my advice? Don't buy a new computer?

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I suggest spending less time on Macrumors and more time reading up on greed, materialism, and overcoming both through frugality and self-discipline. It doesn't have to be this way unless you let it. I say this as someone who changed six computers last year and has managed to stick with one throughout the current year. Good luck.

12. jmoh macrumors newbie

Wow, you got a lot of pressure on you not to mess up in college. You got a family to support now!

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We can modify that behavior quite easily.

Place one of Fido's shocking dog collars around your family jewels, and give you a switch to press every time you think of or look at an Apple product.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I know how you feel about the obsession thing..

My obsession for apple started in dec. 2005 with a 17" powerbook g4 1.67ghz model and from then to now I literally been through almost 30 macs with the next upgrade right after my first mac being the 1.83ghz intel mac and exchanged 3 times because of the inverter noise issues. Then the 2.4ghz merom mbp (mostly 15" exchanged 12 times last year due to the yellowing and kept it for a year until a few months ago sold it and went through 8x15" penryn mbp (left speaker issues) and had the 2.66ghz mac pro and sold it and a 2.8ghz 8 core mac pro and sold it... and been through the 17" 2.4ghz hi res without the led mbp from last year and sold that and had a 2.5ghz 17" hi res mbp led just 4 months ago and sold that and now got to the 2.6ghz 17" hi res mbp.. whew~~ oh and not to mention the 2 mba I went through as well along side owning the mac pro desktop. AND 2x 12" powerbook I went through 2 years ago right when I had the intel mac as well... man this is a disease!!

See my obsession!! But just recently now.. I've came to realized all that time was wasted searching for the perfect mac and finally found my perfect mac and will stick with this mbp until rev. b of nehalem.

Anyways amazing part of this is that out of all those exchanges and 2 different apple stores near me within 15 minutes each.. I only paid the restocking fee just once.

15. IconicIdentity thread starter macrumors member

Haha..I have a girl...shes at home I'm at college lol...and I do get layed...just not as much as I would like because shes not here haha...

..I just got back from fl....and I work...and study...I do do other things....i just spend my evenings reading up on macs....I haven't done dishes is like a week now...UGH

16. IconicIdentity thread starter macrumors member

I mostly browse...I have a lot of pictures and movies that I keep on file....garageband....imovie....Itunes... I just do alot at once....

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I do a lot at once too, and I'm on a MBA. Stick with whatever you have.

18. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

Not to be a hater, but I really dont think thats enough reason to upgrade your computer given your current financial situation... Just because your willing to go without food in order to get a new macbook, doesn't mean your family should. Give your dad back the disability check so he can buy food for the rest of your family.

19. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Using a disability check to buy a wish-list mac?

Seriously, it sounds like your family could put that money to better use...

20. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but read what you just wrote there. Your family is on hard times and you're thinking about buying a new macbook because your dad got a disability check? Seriously? That's not "coming into some money." That's getting help to make ends meet, not a f*cking electronics fund.

That's the most selfish thing I've ever read. You have a macbook already that will do all of the things you mentioned. Your parents have obviously spoiled you in the past with computers, why don't you grow up and not put more pressure on the situation by trying to finagle a new model you don't need. I think we all love techie stuff here, but sometimes the mindless consumer automatons I see here actually make me feel sorry for them. Food and essentials are more important than a damn computer.

21. istara macrumors newbie

Normally I would say that it would be a useful, even responsible/wise investment but given that you already have a very recent laptop, I think you would ultimately be disappointed as you wouldn't get a lightning leap experience.

My advice is to keep doing your research, but just sit on your money for a little longer. The laptops speedbump at least every six months or so (as you know) so the longer you wait the faster it will get.

One thing I really do recommend - especially in your tighter budget case - is getting non-Apple RAM if you want to soup it up to the maximum specs. I did this with my MacBook Pro and it only cost me around a QUARTER of the cost that the official Apple RAM would have done.

If I wanted to psychoanalyse you, the whole "get a new colour" thing rings a few alarm bells for me. If the only valid reason for your colour choice is to have something "different", it suggests your purchase may be somewhat motivated just by the desire to buy - like a kind of panic because you have been money-starved and suddenly there is cash on the table - so I think this is an even more important reason to hold off for a bit.

22. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You can sell yours for around $600ish, then add a little money, and i cant believe it, get a Dell.

I've been saving 3 years for my MBP, and im in whats considered a wealthy family (6 Figure Salary)

Get a cheap Windows laptop, aslong as its faster than your MB, it will be fine, and get you through college.

If your that stuck up (Tbh) to not go with hard times and go back to windows, then struggle on with your MB, besides, you need a laptop that can just do what you need it to, as if you do badly in Uni, then your life is gonna be alot harder than it already is.

23. sargent bannana macrumors member

BURN

but seriously if i were you i would give the disability check to my dad so they can buy essentials and then later on buy yourself a mac jeese i have been through what you been through my dad got in an accident and he became disabled im sory to tell it to you like this but im 15 and im more mature than you i did not accept a penny from my father during those hard times now things are better. your lucky you have a freaking macbook. I dont barely have the money for one. STOP spending all your time on this website and study up for school. because you have a family to support later on.

24. tsvb macrumors 6502

So your Dad gets disability and you want to spend the money on a laptop?

25. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I don't need a new computer for an engineering school...why would you need one for pharmacology? You should get an internship then steal and sell opiates for cash money. Then buy a macbook pro.

but like others have said, welcome to the club!