Worse battery on 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gregrose, Nov 24, 2010.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Anyone else experiencing this? Battery seems to be draining alot quicker now on 4.2.1 then on 4.1 or 4.0

2. djon41 macrumors regular

3. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

my battery has improved whereas the previous update made battery life horrible...now it's back to normal on 4.2.1

5. JYCH macrumors member

Battery drains a lot faster than 4.1 on my iphone4, i'm not happy about it..
    Anyone have a fix?

6. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

exactly the same for me, i wish we could just revert back to 4.1, is there a way?

7. bripab007 macrumors 6502a

Yup. Look into the Firmware Umbrella app. If you've never used it before and you have never jailbroken your current phone, then the answer is "no."

Back on topic: my battery life appears to be as good or better than 4.1.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Not for me. 4.2.1 is far better than 4.1. Even better than 4.0. I'm getting at least a couple more hours of usage.

9. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

my thoughts exactly

10. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

ugh such ********, i cant stand these type of situations with this damn phone.

11. shandyman Suspended

a few people complained of this during the beta and GM of 4.2, they did a battery recalibration and it sorted it or even improved it.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Opposite effect for me. Lifted off the charger at 5am this morning and its now 8.30PM and i still have 63% of juice left. Better than previous iOS versions.

*shrug*

13. unfeomateo macrumors member

My battery is much better. I would normally be at 80% or less during this time of day and I am currently at 90% and I have been messing with the phone a lot today.

14. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Battery life is still the same for be. I still get the 10+ hours of web browsing over wifi like before. It doesn't appear to be any better or worse, which is expected since there was nothing to indicate that Apple made changes in battery life.

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I think that those who are experiencing worse battery life on 4.2.1 need to post on here whether or not their phones are jail broken. That may be a large part of the problem.

Also if there are those who have jail broken phones who are not experiencing any battery problems they should post that also.

16. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

My battery's never been great but since the update I'm getting 6-7hrs max (location and wifi off unless I need them)

17. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Defo an improvement in battery life for me. Very noticeable.

18. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

My battery life is fantastic but I also didn't have any issues with 4.1 either.

19. synagence macrumors 6502a

Mines much worse it feels like.

Might try a 'reset all settings' tonight and see if that helps ... can sometimes be a hang-over from previous releases...

Not and never been JB'd

Worse case i'll try doing a full restore and setup as new phone .... its fixed problems in the past as much as i HATE losing stuff like saves

20. synagence macrumors 6502a

Just a quick follow up which i forgot to mention....

Last night i was using my Mifi with my iPad to surf the net so my iphone automatically connects to it too which is fine.... but i did start to notice that the data counter was constantly going up (by about 1Mb every 2 minutes) even though i was in Early Edition on the ipad so not downloading anything...

I turned Wifi off on the ipad and it was still going up so it had to be iPhone ... i turned wifi off on the phone and sure enough the data stopped ticking up .... odd thing is, there was nothing really running on the phone which should have been consuming any data.... so i figure something screwy is going on which, if its constantly downloading data is gonna be murdering battery life

I have things like push email (not notifications) on but i hadn't received any email in a while so it wasn't that but that could explain the loss in life if there is some errant background task munching 3G data all the time

21. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

i sent 3 txt messages real fast & already down 1-2%, stupid...never drained so fast before, man i should learn my lesson & just never upgraded from 4.1, worked perfect.

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'd argue its not just the message sending that caused. There could be other background tasks that were initiated as soon as you powered on the device.

23. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

only my sms was running, my mail is on fetch every hour, no wifi on just 3g

24. wpotere Guest

Mine drains a little faster as well, but it is a 3G and probably could stand to have the battery replaced.

25. mrph0enix macrumors newbie

Yes, I have an iPhone 4 un-jail-broken and my battery life is about half what it used to be since I updated to 4.2.1. This is ridiculous!