Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I contacted them because I was trying to port my numbers to AT&T and instead of working with me, they tried to keep us by making it difficult so I had to cancel my entire contract $700 later after ETF's then get all new numbers on AT&T with three new iPhones.

I know people who have ported from Sprint, AT&T etc and there was no issues, why do they do this, I was with them for 9 years but the reason I switched Wife and Kids is my bill is Free if your on AT&T with my company, well almost Free so it did not make sense to have both carriers.

Poor business model if you ask me.:eek:

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I contacted them because I was trying to port my numbers to AT&T and instead of working with me, they tried to keep us by making it difficult so I had to cancel my entire contract $700 later after ETF's then get all new numbers on AT&T with three new iPhones.

I know people who have ported from Sprint, AT&T etc and there was no issues, why do they do this, I was with them for 9 years but the reason I switched Wife and Kids is my bill is Free if your on AT&T with my company, well almost Free so it did not make sense to have both carriers.

Poor business model if you ask me.:eek:

i ported from verizon no problem. don't think you're supposed to contact them... just sign up with at&t and they port your number which automatically cancels your verizon account. you do have to pay etf fees though. you do that with any carrier. but i kept my number with no difficulty.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Actually worked out better with Wife and sons getting new numbers because AT&T has way better service and customer support so now I dont have to deal with Verizon, it was easier to get the numbers setup and since VZ charged the ETF's they can eat the numbers.

Why is VZ so difficult, AT&T offers all kinds of assistance plus they have the best phone on the market, I hope and pray AT&T and APPLE never leave each other, life is simple this way, VZ is out of all three of their most popular phones.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Some one else sees the light

Attachments

• tears.PNG
    tears.PNG
    50.6 KB · Views: 99

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I abhor any CDMA carriers.... When I first came to the US, I was perplexed how people have a cellphone without SIM card.... or a locked GSM phone for that matter.

But I've switched from T-Mobile to AT&T to Sprint to T-Mobile, and now back to AT&T again no problem. Do NOT call your "current" carriers that you wanna cancel... Just let the new one take care of it, make sure you round up and pay your final bill with the old carrier and voila :rolleyes:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Actually I had my bill up to date, never late, but I am glad my three family members got new numbers, besides everyone wanted to start fresh, I am not stuck to any one number, I know some people are but I can care less, however I will not leave AT&T or switch from an iPhone, there is just nothing as close or built as reliable, sorry there just isn't and the Android phones well they stink at least the ones on Verizon do adn I HATE that stupid Verizon VZ Splash Screen, at least with the iPhone I don't have any of that junk.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Rule numero uno of porting: When porting, never contact your current carrier and inform them of your plans to port, or tell them you wish to cancel, or anything. Go to the new carrier, they will initiate the port, which cancels your account at the old carrier automatically, and if you owe any ETFs or other charges, they'll send you a bill for them.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I didn't port my number because I just moved to a new city and wanted a new area code anyway. My Verizon contract is up tomorrow so I would like to cancel my service with them then, should I just call or is there a way to do it online? I really don't want any grief.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Actually I had my bill up to date, never late, but I am glad my three family members got new numbers, besides everyone wanted to start fresh, I am not stuck to any one number, I know some people are but I can care less, however I will not leave AT&T or switch from an iPhone, there is just nothing as close or built as reliable, sorry there just isn't and the Android phones well they stink at least the ones on Verizon do adn I HATE that stupid Verizon VZ Splash Screen, at least with the iPhone I don't have any of that junk.

IMHO any Motorola Android phones are pretty terrible. eFuse is quite an irony to the whole open paradigm of Android. Root access is great but I also love CyanogenMod too much to not use it with my Android phone.

IMHO Best Android phone is still Nexus One... No crappy HTC Sense or Samsung Skin if you want to go stock firmware but installing custom firmware is just as easy...and possibly the most popular Android phone for modding aside from the original G1

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I didn't port my number because I just moved to a new city and wanted a new area code anyway. My Verizon contract is up tomorrow so I would like to cancel my service with them then, should I just call or is there a way to do it online? I really don't want any grief.

While you bring up that point, I am just wondering why do you want to switch to new area code?
I've seen so many people doing this and I have moved to 3 different states yet still using my Indiana area code... I just think that since the phone is nationwide calling, it shouldn't be a problem and you won't get roaming charge. Or am I wrong? Just curious....

My biggest problem is when ordering Chinese Food here in RI, they think the Indiana area code is part of the phone number :p:p

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Like others have said, you did it wrong. I've ported the same number from Verizon to AT&T to Sprint in the last few years with nary a problem. Always let the new carrier handle it.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I had no problems porting from Verizon to AT&T many years ago, but their service did suck where I live.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I dont think you can do it online.
It shouldnt be that bad, they will try to keep you with offers and such just decline politely and move on.

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008
I abhor any CDMA carriers.... When I first came to the US, I was perplexed how people have a cellphone without SIM card.... or a locked GSM phone for that matter.

So what if a CDMA phone has no sim? Phones are locked to the carrier so sims are not needed. Even US GSM phones sims are pointless since even if they were unlocked tmo and att operate on different 3G frequencies.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
So what if a CDMA phone has no sim? Phones are locked to the carrier so sims are not needed. Even US GSM phones sims are pointless since even if they were unlocked tmo and att operate on different 3G frequencies.

Right.... thanks for proving my point.
When I first came here, I don't think I've seen the same lockdown anywhere else except maybe Japan and Korea where they use their own standard there.

The paradigm of locked phones is just something I can never understand in my lifetime... Yes the 3G frequencies are incompatible but what about travelers? or when the pentaband phone comes out that support both AWS and AT&T 3G??

But that's just my rant... I am a firm believer of phone carriers need to be more like a dumb pipe and compete on their service quality instead of what phones can they offer. I mean I would be damned if National Grid (my utility company) forced me to use a certain brand of fridge/stovetop.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
But that's just my rant... I am a firm believer of phone carriers need to be more like a dumb pipe and compete on their service quality instead of what phones can they offer. I mean I would be damned if National Grid (my utility company) forced me to use a certain brand of fridge/stovetop.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, ranting about it is probably just wasting breath, as it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Right.... thanks for proving my point.
When I first came here, I don't think I've seen the same lockdown anywhere else except maybe Japan and Korea where they use their own standard there.

The paradigm of locked phones is just something I can never understand in my lifetime... Yes the 3G frequencies are incompatible but what about travelers? or when the pentaband phone comes out that support both AWS and AT&T 3G??

Well said.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Even though my phones are locked, I still find it much easier to pop my sim into a beater phone when I don't want to take my iPhone into locations where it is more likely to get damaged, plus if something were to happen to my phone I can just pop my sim into another phone no problem without having to log into a website or calling cs.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Even though my phones are locked, I still find it much easier to pop my sim into a beater phone when I don't want to take my iPhone into locations where it is more likely to get damaged, plus if something were to happen to my phone I can just pop my sim into another phone no problem without having to log into a website or calling cs.

pretty sure on verizon you can just dial *228 on the phone you want to switch to and there is an option to activate... doesn't even require a paperclip! ha :D

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
If Verizon was the last cell phone company in the US I'd rather use a tin can and string. I seriously wouldn't have a cell phone. I hate them. That. Much.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, ranting about it is probably just wasting breath, as it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon.

Heh I've been ranting about that for the past 6 years... Couple more rants here and there won't make the difference in my breath count :p

Unfortunately yeah it won't be changing anytime soon.... Unless Apple manages to give AT&T a big middle finger and released fully unlocked iPhone 5 like they did with iPhone 4 in almost every part of the world :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.