Worst iPhone 4 press yet: NBC's Today Show.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkomatic, Jul 6, 2010.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yikes, this just keeps getting worse. NBC's "Today Show" aired the most critical story yet about the antenna issue on the iPhone 4 from a major network.

I can't link directly to the video, but if you scroll down you'll see the story listed:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/

I have a case, but everyone who owns an iPhone 4 is currently within the return window. It's interesting in that many complain quite loudly about the iPhone 4's antenna, yet still like so much they can't bring themselves to return it. :)

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Can't do videos from here. Anyone care to summarize?

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Getting worse? I think the over the top hysteria has pretty much all but died down now.

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Really??

Maybe some of the hysteria for the antenna issue has some what decreased, but the prox. sensor issue is even worse. Wish the media would pickup on that issue. Over 950+ posts on Apple's support site for that alone.

5. gmikesell macrumors regular

Not able to find the story

Yeah, could some one provide a synopsis of the story? I hit the link but its not being listed.

6. zoman504 macrumors regular

Personally, I think this is just getting started. Sure, it may have died down around here because we have decided to either live with it or move on. But now the general public, all those millions they are boasting about selling to, are now recognizing the problem may be with the hardware and **** is about to hit the fan.

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Same **** different day. It's the same thing that's been said countless times now. Hold the phone at the seam and it cuts signal. Buy a bumper and it limits hand interference.

Bottom line, if you want an Iphone 4, avoid the lower left seam. Not that hard. That's what she said.

8. diabolic macrumors 68000

Once Apple releases the bar display update and then says the phones are working as they designed them the hysteria will lose any steam that might be left.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yep and they showed some of the blogs that have been out. No new information. The Today Show probably didn't have anything to run for that three minutes, so they threw this in.

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Have you gotten yours yet, aggie?

11. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

well I cant speak for others but ive not had any proximity sensor problems, dropped calls, screen problems, or anything else.

The people I work with were aware of the antenna issue when it hit the news briefly but they have already forgotten about it. Do you really think the proximity sensor (that may well be adjustable via a software update) is worthy of the national news? It may be news worthy on a tech site such as Gizmodo, but there are far more important things to cover in the world than screen sensors LOL

12. jameszjn macrumors newbie

jameszjn

13. PLin macrumors 6502

I hate how the press can distort the truth... that Apple has issued a press release that the iPhone offers sub-par reception. In reality, the press release said exactly the opposite.

They also mention how people have found that you can use a rubber bracelet around the phone, but Apple discourages that, since they want you to buy their bumper. Since when did Apple discourage the use of 3rd party cases?

14. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Nothing unique in the video:

- people complaining about a cell phone that doesn't work like a cell phone
    - people reporting on those people complaining
    - Apple somewhat apologizing and laughing all the way to the bank even in spite of all the reports
    - people making more reports about Apple somewhat apologizing
    - people making reports about Apple saying "buy a Bumper" to short-term resolve the issue till they get theirs out
    - people making jokes about Apple's short-term solution of the Bumper
    - repeat ad nauseum

In other words - or a picture:

[​IMG]

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, why?

16. dap1215 macrumors regular

The video is not hard to find.. Click on the posters link, then in the middle of the page By the title "More from TODAY", click video, then More to the left. It will then pop out a video view box scroll down and look for the one called "Hear me now? Apple admits iPhone snafu".. Date July 6th. :cool:

17. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

The story details how the antenna is built around the outside edge of the phone and states that when a person holds it -- that causes the issue. They mention Apple's response about the signal bar fix, but gloss over that explanation. They basically called the iPhone 4 defective and Meredith Veriera said after the article that Apple needs to do something about it. That's not word for word however.

It came off very bad. If you watched it and hadn't yet bought an iPhone, the story gave you the impression they were about to be recalled or something.

18. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Well, they didn't discourage people from buying other iPhone cases but they sure did encourage people to buy theirs. Nothing wrong with that if it wasn't being used as a "fix" to a problem in the design or software of the phone (please don't flame me. I'm just making a point about the bumpers! :))

19. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

The video clearly showed a snippet of the actual press release and quoted that specific part about the problem being "the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength is totally wrong" - this video said nothing along the lines of Apple stating anything about reception at all. Watch it again.

Apple discourages the use of what the girl in the video specifically mentions: just using some rubber-like wristband (like the Lance Armstrong "LIVESTRONG" yellow ones) or whatever which obviously isn't an actual 3rd party licensed product but more a "home made solution" to the contact issues, which is entirely accurate.

Watch the video again.

They are merely reporting on a real issue even if they fudge something in the short period of time they allow for such "news" stories.

20. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Meredith is a fool... either she totally didn't understand what Apples response was or she wasn't listing to the story at all. At the end shes like "I think they should replace all the defective phones" or something... right after they talk about issuing a software fix. AT LEAST wait until they release the fix and see if it works or not.

21. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I dont think there is anything new here to be starting another thread about. Just a rehash of everything that has already been covered.

22. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

The issues that have plagued the iPhone4 in the geek-press definitely seem to be bubbling up to the main-stream... as in my less-techie friends are definitely aware that the iPhone4 launch has been something less than the typical magical, amazing, wonderful, etc.

I just got my Nexus One from Google on Friday and I already feel like an Apple-apologist telling folks that I'm just waiting on the white model rather than holding off because of all the issues people are reporting with the iPhone4.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nothing new, but certainly accurate, as it reports the customers anger and issues.

Sorry but apple blew it on this and not addressing the issue head on but instead saying its not accurately portraying signal strength is the problem which of course is BS. We've all seen the speednet test showing how bandwidth is going down, not just the bars.

24. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Synopsis if anyone still wants it...

Hear me now? Apple admits iPhone snafu

iPhone offers sub par reception

You tube examples of people losing service when holding their phone

iPhone customers are finding out the phone has a serious flaw - doesn't quite work right

If your hand or even finger in the wrong spot - signal loss

Most people hold the phone in a way that blocks the antenna. Apple say hold it differently.

You tube clips of people holding their phone in ridiculous ways to avoid the problem

Apple makes an apology - of sorts - says it's just graphical problem with bars. Promises software update soon.

Short term solution - buy Apple bumper - guy says "and that costs money?" - implied undertone that you shouldn't have to pay another $30 to make your expensive phone work.

Cut's to studio:

Presenter 1: "I agree with the bellyachers, I think they should replace those phones"

Presenter 2: "I think that this is not the last we're going to hear about that one"

Presenter 1 "I don't think so" (agreeing with presenter 2)

25. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

If it was software related, then you would see the same signal calculation errors in a 3GS with iOS4. Think about it