Worst New Years Eve ever!!! - Iphone related

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by triplehevo, Jan 4, 2009.

1. triplehevo macrumors newbie

Ok, so basically yesterday me and some friends were at a big party in a big house waiting for the new year to arrive. Lots of drinks and women. 12:00 am everybody is huggin, everything is good, everybody is wasted and having a good time. At about 1:00 am the dj says that the first guy or girl who dives in the pool wins a bottle of Jhonny Walker Black Label. So my best friend starts to take of everything from his pockets and gives them to me, to hold it for the time he is in the pool. I stay in a little corner carrying his stuff and then i see that one, two , three more people get thrown in the freaking pool. So it becomes a mess, theres plenty of people in the pool getting wet and I am in a corner. I was like 3 feet away from the pool, so I get away from the corner and little did i know, there was the owner of the house (who is also my friend) and he grabs my arm and throws me in the pool. When i got out of that pool, i realize that my friend's stuff got in the pool, and with that, everything that was in my pockets. I had one pack of cigarettes, my car keys , my house keys, my wallet and my IPHONE!!!!!

I took my iphone out it was wet like hell, it was on and try to slide to unlock, but didnt work. Then it powered off by itself and never turned back on. Tried to power it on a couple of times with no success.

Then they tell to me leave my iphone in a warm place where theres no movement, so i say ok lets put it in the car, so we go outside and tried the alarm. The alarm of course dindt worked!! so i couldn open my car. My friends had to help to me to try to cancel the alarm and get my car up and running.

The thing is my iphone is dead. It is currently sitting in a plate full of uncooked rice for 4 days now. Today morning I tried to turned it on and it didnt work. I am starting a treatment of fan and maybe a hairdryer.Am i doing the right thing??? What else could i do? Should i kill the house owner (my friend), bury him next to the poool and get the money from him?? Please help, Im starting to losing it!!!

2. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

stick with the rice, avoid the hairdryer, wait a week, and if no luck, then i would strongarm the money from your friend

Also fill a bag with rice and put your phone in that, to assure its totally covered

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Most likely you phone is gone. Ask your friend nicely to pay for a new or refurbished phone. It would be the right thing for him to do.

4. CalumC macrumors regular

My god, how did you manage to contain the anger at the time, I would have gone ape ****.

I'd go along with getting it entirely covered with rice, see how that works. Hassle the guy at the same time.

5. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yup, your friend (the house owner) owes you a new iPhone. And it will be more than $199/299 to replace (if it's a3G), since the new one won't be available subsidized.

The good news for your friend is that it might be covered by his homeowners policy.

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Rice it up, then lay down the justice upon your friend.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

To the OP and any others in this situation: Do not try to turn on the iPhone until all the water and water mositure is gone!

This can take up to a week of drying and using a large ziploc bag full of clean dry rice changing the rice every 24 hours.

Dave

8. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

It will most likely need to be recharged to, before it works.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't try Apple, they already know its wet. So, the rice thing, good idea. Bad idea, leaving it unsealed. Put iPhone + rice in a ziplock and seal that bag for a week. Then retry, doesn't wrk, plug it to wall or Mac/PC, retry for 15 mins.

If nothing works. Bill your friend. PROTIP: Make him pay $399 cause if you use your $199 subsidy, you won't be eligible for the a subsidy if the next gen model of the iPhone is subsidized.

10. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I would be so angry!:eek: if it dosent recover tell your friend to buy you a new one like the other person above me said.

11. calvy macrumors 65816

While I agreed with you at first, I remembered the OP admitted he was "feeling pretty good". Sometimes a little booze can keep you calm. Of course, not if you're an angry drunk.

12. triplehevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, actually I did go ape·$%&%&8 on my friend. We almost got in a fight and i told him you have f%$$$%ed me and he was like, i got thrown too and my cell is wasted also. So he didnt wanted to admit his giult. I didnt do nothing just because it was his house afterall and his parents and uncles etc were also there.

Ok so as tomorrow , Im going to get a ziplock bag, get new rice and fill it and then put in the iphone and just leave it for 1 week in a warm place. Not going to touch it. Arggg it feels terrible now that i had to get my old sony ericsson k710. It is all banged up and dusty, it doesnt work right. I really need my iphone back to life, and the worst thing is I got my iphone in the us but I live outside the country. So there's no way to claim warranty or to pay the 199 for a new one.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You live outside the US? Where? The iPhone is now available in many places now.

14. ericxd macrumors regular

off topic but whats with the deal with putting ur phone in a bag of rice?

15. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It absorbs moisture, the natural way.

16. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

17. triplehevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know its available here, but in Peru, the iphone costs like about $700 with no contract!!

18. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Ouch, hope your problem works out soon. I would have kicked the guy before he even had a chance of raising his arms to push me in. lol.

19. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

**** happens :)

Insurance? Or just get your friend to replace it.
    You say your friend has a "Big House" which leaves me to believe hes got a bit of money so there shouldn't be an issue of him/her replacing it.... ;)

20. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I had three friends/relatives die between midnight and January 2nd.

So remember, you could lose things much more valuable than a phone.

But I do hope you get it worked out with your friend.

Friendships are more important that a piece of materialistic stuff.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

whoa sorry to hear that. I guess that puts things in perspective. :(

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That definitely sucks... but, his story has no deaths in it, so I guess the only thing he has to worry about at this moment is his iPhone.

23. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Absolutely.

And I wasn't trying to diminish the importance of his phone, because I know I would be rather upset if I were in his shoes.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Good luck in getting your friend to replace it.

25. TheotherJoseph macrumors member

I hope it works after it dries out.....

BUT if not try this

Once you're sure the phone is dry hook the charger up to it.. Make sure it is plugged into a WALL OUTLET.. You can't use the usb to charge from your computer when doing this test.

When you have it connected to the charger try powering it up.. If nothing happens you have a nice paper weight..

If you see the apple logo, but it wont fully boot up then at the very least the battery is fried..

At this point you have nothing to lose.. Your warranty is voided anyway so its time for surgery.

I just replaced the battery in my first gen iphone because of water.. Its really not that hard to do.. I didn't notice if you said it was a 3g or not, but it shouldn't be any different.. I do know that the 3g battery has connector/plug instead of solder.. That should make it a little easier

Here is a vid walking through the process..

http://video.gearlive.com/video/article/q407-replace-iphone-battery-tutorial/

Now here is the sad part..

After you replace the battery there may be other things wrong with the phone.. but for the price of the battery its worth a shot