Worst Things About The First Day Of School

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hi everybody! I'm starting school tomorrow, and it made me curious: what's everyones least favorite thing about the first day of school. Of course I'm looking for answers from students, but parents and teachers are encouraged to answer as well. This is your time to vent.

I guess I'll start. (You can do it anyway you'd like, I'm just going to do it in list format)

-Waking up on the first day, I'm always zombified on the first day of school
    -My principals annoying first day of school speech
    -getting our new weekly planners, just makes you realize how long the school year is

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's been awhile since i had k-12 schooling, but my birthday is near the beginning of the school year. i always hated going when my bday was on the first day of school. yuck.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

School starts tomorrow and this isn't nice:

I hate the feeling that I have to wait to do a No.2 .... after a while my body adjusts, but the toilets are just so disgusting, and its hard on the first few days...

4. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

i enjoy the first day, but like you i dislike getting up on the first day when you have been used to sleeping in till almost 12 the whole summer...

5. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I hate the cheerful people. All the preppy chicks hugging their friends like they haven't seen them in forever (while in reality, they saw each other last week). I hate getting books, syllabi (plural syllabus?), and of course, the one ash-hole teacher that gives you homework.

Then of course it dawns on you that school is going to be the number one priority (it should be) in your life for the next 285 days.

6. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

The extra traffic caused by soccer mommies taking their brats to school.

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Hmm... Well, school sucks in general. Especially today. The worst day EVER, and it's been less than two weeks...

Probably my worst thing is pretty much the same as ghall's: waking up and hearing everybody's speeches. Blech... They can shove it...

8. Arantxa macrumors member

My first day was yesterday...

I got so much homework, I didn't finish it all that night...

I guess it's true that sophomore is the hardest year.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd say having that teacher who gives you some project or big paper on the first day(or two)

I kind of like the first day....as we have 2 days, then the weekend...then I remember how much I hate it.

Speaking of all this, I need to finish my paper thats due on the 6th.

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

School for me starts in 1 week.

I have many least favorite things:

- Walking from the car to school in the morning, it's so depressing you know you'll have to do this another 179 times

- The ambiance walking outside of the school- the cold damp air, the bright sun

- The 1st day of school, or the 2nd or 3rd is usually my birthday. I am excited for my birthday, but mad that it falls on the first day of school

- No Air Conditioning

- Spending 5 hours in 2 days in "Advisory" (homeroom) doing book reports, talking about social issues, "breaking the ice" with people we've known for 12 years, and doing "synergy building" activities. Yes, 2.5 HOURS in 2 days.

- I was just actually talking about this today- those stupid contracts you and your parents have to sign that you get from teachers that say "I will behave, I will do my homework" etc

- My school is really into "Essential Questions" and "Enduring Understandings". Teachers always ask us what they mean.

- The hassle of picking up your revised schedule on the first day of school because they change it over the summer

- Getting new books that are 2" thick and there is no classroom set so you have to lug it around

- Not having a parking spot because they forgot to make enough parking- there isn't even enough parking for seniors. Meanwhile I live in one of the largest towns (area wise) in CT with one of the smallest populations and go to a school that was renovated 5 years ago.

- In every class the teacher using the same introduction, teachers asking the same questions, the same people giving the same answers i.e. "Did anyone do anything fun this summer"

- Getting to know teacher's you don't already know

- How my locker is number #013 (unlucky, but its in a good location)

- How far I have to walk inbetween classes in the crowded hallways

- I too hate when girls act like they haven't seen each other in years, I find it amusing

- Loud obnoxious people and people that think they are cool and try to walk through you and everyone else in their way in the hallway

- Covering books

- Making a lunch at 6:30am or buying a disgusting non-fulfilling lunch

- Freshman :p :rolleyes: ;)

11. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

im always worried im going to wrong place... this year's gonna be my fourth year in my school and i still get disoriented, of course, its a k-12 school so its really confusing.

and teachers who give homework the first day or two are annoying too... specially since there's only 2 days my first week.

12. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i personally think book covers are stupid. why even put book covers on the books? what do they protect against? not much. and then all of your books look exactly the same and it's harder to know which book is which.

and the worst part about school, knowing you'll have to carry your books about 1/4-1/2 mile every day at school (my high school was open air and spread out, and there were only a few lockers given to seniors at one end of campus, when they had the least books, juniors typically had the most).

lunch, ugh. finding a good place to eat some days was a nightmare (we had a caf, but it was pretty small, so most people ate at various patios littered throughout campus, and alot of the places was either full of people or dirty, or just not a good place to eat).

the fact that you had to deal with people you didn't like for 10 months and there was little you could do.

the elements had a way of making things terrible for us sometimes, since there was only a few covered/indoor areas on campus, but thankfully, it doesn't rain too much in socal.

that's it for now, it's been about 5 years since i had to go to a first day of high school. at least we didn't start school until right after labor day, so i always enjoyed that final weekend, knowing that summer was pretty much over after that weekend instead of starting in august.

13. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I will be a sophomore in college, and class starts on Tuesday. I always worry on the first day of school that I'm in the wrong class. Not the wrong classroom, but as in....I was supposed to have a pre-requisite for the class that I didn't know, didn't register for the right one, etc.

But, I'm looking forward to being back :)

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yea, I cover my books until they fall off and then I don't recover them unless I get yelled at.

I'd take the bus, but it comes at 6:40. If I get a ride I can leave my house at 7:20 and get to school with time to spare. It's because the bus isn't allowed to go over this bridge so they have to take this very indirect route

On the first day of school for english, in class, I have to write an Essay comparing and contrasting Fahrenheit 451 to The Giver. I should also mention the class will be like 20 min long because of the 2.5 hour Advisory BS.

---

I also forgot to mention. Whenever I wear a fleece jacket to school and take it to school in the morning, i get shocked while hanging it in my locker on the metal hook, or when shutting the metal door. It annoys the crap out of me. I think I am going to get some electrical tape to help solve this problem.

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Having to actually go to class.

Usually, I get a look at the syllabus, figure out if it's a class I need to actually attend or a "Quizzes and tests" kinda class.

Heh. :)

16. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I started one week ago. I absolutely dread:
    -hoping/wishing for my friends to be in a class with me...then, of couse, no friends.
    -trying to find friends to sit with at lunch. The lunch blocks are so confuddled that I'm stuck with a 80% freshmen in my lunch block.
    -waking up early; I stayed up the whole first night, though.
    -finding out what new rules got thrown into the handbook.
    -finding out they raised prices on everything by almost 25%. It is unbearable.
    -coming home, and being absolutely exhausted.

I hate 50% of my classes this term; that only means 2 classes, but 2/4 is pretty bad. :/

17. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

ugh. In college the first day or two... is "syllabus day", long and boring and you have to hear the same thing about college policies, etc. Well syllabus day is long and boring, but so are the others. And

freshmen....
    [​IMG]

good luck to all this semester/year...

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Is that a freshman, or just a Brit :p

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

• Parking. Because fools haven't started slacking or dropping classes and so all these idjits still show up making it that much harder for those who'll actually stick around to find parking.
    • Having to figure out what makes your new teachers tick. What they respond well/ poorly to, etc.
    • Figuring out times to eat.

And yes, college texts are shockingly expensive. But at least there are usually ways around, you can buy used, you can re-sell, etc. Try taking some art studio classes. Once those resources are used, they're pretty much used up. And believe me, they ain't cheap.

20. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I hate spending $596.43 on books that I'll use for four months.

21. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Omg. So true! I hate parking at the beginning of the semester!! It took me 40 minutes and four parking lots to park today!

22. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

FOR SURE! Toilets are pretty bad at my school as well.

What are you people talking about speeches? Do you people still have daily announcements or something? ...odd...

my list to add on what others have said:
    • realizing that all my friends have graduated and that i'm on my own this year
    • getting ALL 7 of your home set of books in 1 day -- thats a hard walk home
    • realizing how far you have yet to go
    • the first "F" grade and how you're already starting off the year bad....
    • Homework
    • noticing more and more everyday how highschool sucks and college will be so much better....
    • God forbid you should forget your ID within the first week: waiting in line FOR HOURS and paying $1 to get a temporary ID
    • Sharing the school with ~4500 other kids. (It's 9-12 grade)
    • catching the 6:50 bus

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Parking is also AWFUL on the first day at school. Last year, it fell precisely one week after I picked up my new car, so I wasn't quite ready with the clutch yet. Of course, both entrances to my school are uphill, so it was backed up like crazy. I think I stalled about 6-7 times before I managed to get into the parking lot.

24. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Things on my why I hate first day of classes list:

First years - teens who think just because they got into univerisity they are hot sh*t.

People who did not read the outlines/ have the prereqs - and realize they are way over their heads.

Campus Community Events - they suck. period. not even good free stuff.

THe bus line ups. seriously 5-7 buses before you can get on.

The line up of people trying to get into a full course but insiting that I make an exception just for them

Taking a class for credits that I put together. Or having the sessional instructor tell me I am wrong because author XYZ said this in their paper - then me pointing out that , yeah thanks for quoting my paper, I think I know what I wrote...

Sitting in a first year chem/bio class being TA'd by one of the people I TA'd before. ( I am required to take first year courses every 18 months because the credits "expire", even though I am not an undergrad.)

25. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

my first day of highschool is coming up soon...i am looking forward 2 it because it is the entrance 2 a whole other sector of my life. i cn't wait 2 use my macbook in class!!!:rolleyes:(they'll be sooo jealouse)(its a prep school so no need 2 wry bout theft)