Worth to buy rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gintoki-kun, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Gintoki-kun macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I need a laptop.
    You think it's worth to buy a rMBP? Is it giving any problems? Or something like that? Please give me your opinion.
    Thank you

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainly when I used the word "worth" was to know if the rMBP is giving problems, and stuff like that.
    I will use it to use compressor 4, FCP X, and Xcode. Mainly

5. MacRetina macrumors member

MacRetina

Don't hesitate! Please get it. The best laptop in the market right now is the rMBP.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well in that sense, yeah it makes it worth it as the rMBP doesn't give any problems. Me personally, I dislike the crap GPU they use. But people here drink Apple Kool-Aid and will ignore that. However, for your uses, it seems it will be just fine.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not sure on the recommended system requirements of Final Cut Pro off of the top of my head as far as hardware - but perhaps you can look in to the system information of the most intensive software that you will be using in order to determine if the rMBP is something that will be worth it from a hardware point of view. In other words, you may not need as much power that is in that particular machine.

However, if the rMBP is something that you want for its screen, design or what have you - then by all means, it will be worth it to you. I wouldn't let horror stories hinder your decision at all.

8. stuaz macrumors 6502

Its giving no more "problems" than any other Apple new products.

Just remember these forums are subjective in the sense that you will mostly read "bad" things.

Also this question has been asked many times before, so please check the search button ;)

9. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

I also dislike a bit the GPU just like you.
    Is the upgrade to 16gb worth?
    So, you're saying that there hasnt appeared problems on the rMBP?
    I will also use it (not often. Just one day per week) to play GW2.
    Will there be a new improval of the rMBP soon? If it will I'll wait.

10. stuaz macrumors 6502

It has just been released...... most likely won't see a refresh on it until June/July next year, and then it will probably just be a component increases - the shell is likely to stay the same with very minor changes.

11. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I was a bit scared of those horror stories yes.
    @ stuaz: I thought that, although it's easier to eliminate all doubts if you are the one asking, instead of just reading. rMBPs are not cheap and I want to be 100% sure of buying it :)
    And sorry if I was rude just now.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The main problem Anand found was the FPS on simple tasks. Where as regular MBPs had outstanding FPS on regular OS tasks and simple web stuff (like Facebook for example), the rMBP struggled at 24 FPS. 24 FPS is barely noticeable, but anything harder on the GPU/CPU with that display will certainly make it drop and stuttering will happen (not to mention the already famous micro-stuttering in nVidia GPUs).

However, many of the games played, and demo'd on the rMBP play fine because they are scaled to playable frames, so that should be a problem (eg, scaled down to 1900x1080 or 1680x1050)

13. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's "go for it" right?
    What about the 16gb ram update. Is it worth?

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ah, yes, the 16GB of RAM is always nice if you plan on having lots of heavy applications open simultaneously. I would say definitely go for it. Besides, once you buy an rMBP, there is no way to upgrade it in the future.

Yes, I would say go for it.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's worth it for sure as you cannot upgrade RAM later on in the rMBP because it is soldered on to the logic board in order to account for the laptop's thin design. If you feel like at some point you will need or want to have 16GB as opposed to 8GB, than it is a good idea to upgrade before it's shipped out.

16. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I thought about the upgrade of the ram.
    512gb flash I think is pretty good. Not much need of more.
    Thank you a lot ^^

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, the flash memory is subjective. I for instance will be happy with 256GB, as I have an external 2TB drive to store stuff.

18. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it's out of subject, but no one answered me.
    I have an iMac. Late 2011. 27" 4gb ram, 1tb hdd, 1gb graphics, 3,1ghz i5.
    I use bootcamp only to play a game of my childhood. Titan quest. It's not a very high end game, so my mac should be fine. Although every time I'm on windows via bootcamp my iMac heats a lot. Is it a problem? Is it bad for the iMac?

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

20. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you
    I opened one in the "Desktop->iMac" section

21. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Anything intensive (gaming is one of the most intensive tasks you could preform on a computer) is going to cause your computer to heat up - even if the game's system requirements are outclassed by your system. The Aluminum design (improves heat transfer) and "all-in-one" space saving design of the iMac is going to cause the heat to become apparent.

It's completely normal, nothing to worry about at all.

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try SMC Fan Control in OS X set fans to max, reboot into Windows fans will still be running high and will cool the system. Appears that fan control and temp management is not the best under Bootcamp.

There is a Windows app that can manually control the fans as well, however as i don't use Windows i am not able to point the way, although you should be able to search for it here or Google

23. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

24. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not a problem!

Good luck with your computers and decisions. :)