Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Welcome to Matrix.
17zl7l.jpg

Reactions: briloronmacrumo

theatremusician

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Haha.

$42.4 billion in revenue, company ruined because one of the lowest selling products hasn't been refreshed. Dolts up in here.

I didn't say anything of their financial prowess, but if they don't start developing new, "insanely great" products soon, their financial status will start degrading rapidly. You're thinking short term like most small minded people. The profits they enjoy now are solely based upon the products/legacy of Steve Jobs. Tim Cook has yet to prove he's able to release anything that could provide long term profitability. He's riding the Jobs wave.

Reactions: robeddie and pcd109

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
All that really means is that there never was a MacPro and we're actually hooked up to a Microsoft PC network which allowed us to believe that we were thinking different and using a MacPro. OMG, I'm waking up out of the matrix and I think I'm going to barf since I've been in it too long...
I knew Apple been selling us window pc.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
if they don't start developing new, "insanely great" products soon, their financial status will start degrading rapidly.

'insanely great' products come along very rarely.. apple has pretty much had two so far.. the mac and the iPod..
if simply using the two other insanely great products for the tempo, Apple isn't due for another insanely great product until 2018.

------
as a side note, i think the forum should come to agreement that anyone giving financial advice to apple as a means to back up their point .. invokes some sort of godwin's law..

i.e. the debate goes to the favor of the person being spoken to... however, the person can opt to post their business's bank statement with balance of at least 9 figures then their argument can be taken seriously without the automatic loss.

Last edited:

theatremusician

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
as a side note, i think the forum should come to agreement that anyone giving financial advice to apple as a means to back up their point .. invokes some sort of godwin's law..

i.e. the debate goes to the favor of the person being spoken to... however, the person can opt to post their business's bank statement with balance of at least 9 figures then their argument can be taken seriously without the automatic loss.

So like Hitler, you want to shut down free speech?

tralfaz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Apples financial success is great for Apple the company, but it stinks for Apple computers. When all Mac sales only account for 12% revenue, what is the urgency to deliver updated computer products. As we are all seeing not much urgency, not much at all. Hopefully this update chasm is due to Apple repeatedly refining new designs until they get to a point that the design reaches there rather absurd requirements. Sometimes this works out well, my 2011 MBP is the most solid laptop I've ever owned.

Even though I have many issues with the MP 6,1 I might buy it if they just made some minor adjustments. Number one would be to provide a single GPU option. The second GPU math co-processor is useless to me. Then offer a SSD drive bay the fits in the emptied GPU slot. Allow that drive bay to hold 3 non-proprietary SSD sticks. I think such an option would widen the user appeal for a MP 7,1, without Apple having to eat crow about their design revolution. Or just sell two MP, designs, a tower and a tube.

Yes I know that two MP designs will never happen. But, offering more build to order options in the MP 7,1 seems at least something that could happen. If only Apple would pull the stick out of its ass.

Reactions: SDRLS

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Then offer a SSD drive bay the fits in the emptied GPU slot. Allow that drive bay to hold 3 non-proprietary SSD sticks. I think such an option would widen the user appeal for a MP 7,1, without Apple having to eat crow about their design revolution.
Since ditching the second GPU would free up 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes - why not four PCIe x4 NVMe blades?

Reactions: ssgbryan

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Physical space? Also the fourth slot would be the existing GPU SSD piggy back slot.
That means that there are 20 PCIe lanes, and five NVMe blades! :D

There are some pretty tall capacitors and other stuff on the GPU. Angle the PCIe slots (kind of like the DIMMs) to use the taller central area. Imagine //_\\ for the five blades (but much flatter).

tralfaz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
That means that there are 20 PCIe lanes, and five NVMe blades! :D

There are some pretty tall capacitors and other stuff on the GPU. Angle the PCIe slots (kind of like the DIMMs) to use the taller central area. Imagine //_\\ for the five blades (but much flatter).

Yeah, I see where your going with that idea, and its pretty clever. If you can pull it off with standard connectors, that is. I was thinking the sticks would be piggy backed like the current MP 6,1, but just 3 side by side. Your design would definitely allow 4 sticks, and 4 sticks / 16 freed PCIe lanes yields 4 lanes per stick. That could yield some pretty awesome scary(0) RAID performance.

Reactions: ssgbryan

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
No need for x4 for NVMe. Current crop of NVMe don max out a x2 connection.
You're buying last year's NVMe drives....

Or looking at the wrong benchmarks.

Single stream performance on NVMe drives blows the socks off of AHCI drives.

Multi-stream performance (and "multi-stream" means tens to thousands of IOs in parallel) blows the socks off of single stream performance on NVMe.

No need for x4 for NVMe

Probably true for six to twelve months. In fact, my HPE ProLiant servers with NVMe cages use a PCIe switch that goes one PCIe 3.0 x8 to six PCIe 3.0 x8 (8 lanes to 24 lanes) for the drives. In mid-2016, that's a reasonable stretch for bandwidth. Some hit on worst-case benchmarks, but great for most real-world applications.

_______

On the other hand, the Mac Pro seems to be on a "once per decade" upgrade cycle, at least if you take Phil literally. I would hope that the "innovators" would not base a new 7,1 on storage technology that was already a year or two on the market.

The last time that the innovators did the "year or two on the market" thing we got the MP6,1.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I flocked.

It worked for me.

The compact design, no noise, and nMP flexibility fits for me.

Otherwise, I had planned on stacking Mac minis. No longer.

I'm selling my Mac Minis to get more cylinders. At lower prices.

My computing future looks strong & flexible.

Agree...Worked for me once 10.11.6 came out. Seemed to fix the issues and runs fast and does the job. Runs a little hot, but expected with what I throw at it concerning video. Saved many hours on processing time. $ Still fast though it is 2013 tech (really came out in 2014 if you think about it). Two years old, so what, it does the job.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Suppose there is a reasonably good new Mac Pro released before the end of this year. (Of course, what's "reasonably good" is different for everybody. Here let's just say it meets YOUR "reasonably good" definition.) How will you view the nearly 1000 days of no updates in the past nearly three years? Will you still think that Apple does not care about pro users? I am just curious.

Personally, this won't change my belief that Apple does not care about pro users.

Other than dropping the price, what can they do? I am really sick of people acting like the latest processors are 300% better than even the previous generation. Even on the laptops. I do not notice a difference between my 2010 Mac Pro and my 2015 custom built system because they are both 6 core at 3.33Ghz. But one has a newer model (i7) and the other has the older server model (Xeon).

That system was a pretty big waste of money. Other than SATA 3 and USB 3, I did not really gain anything. I JUST upgraded to a GTX 1080, so at least I gained that JUST now though. That was $700 though. Before, I used a GTX 980, which OS X was able to run just fine. My GTX 980 is back in my Mac now.
[doublepost=1469808182][/doublepost]
Waiting for Mac Pro with Thunderbolt 9
[doublepost=1469247311][/doublepost]

It doesn't need to be redesigned. Maybe should have 2-3 different colors that's all. All matte black would be nice.

It just needs Dual nVidia GPUs (OR an option to pick either AMD or nVidia, with latest pascal and polaris chips). Use consumer GPUs please, not workstation level. Add native SLI and CrossFire support.
It needs TB3 via USB3.1 ports.
It needs 512GB as standard for SSD.
It needs 16GB as standard and cheap upgrade to RAM up to 128GB. I just bought 64GB DDR4 RAM for $230.
They need to dump Xeon chipset and use consumer grade Intel CPU's, which have better single core performance than Xeon chips. If they do stick to Xeon, then make it affordable to jump between cores. Upto 24 cores.

OR they should dump one of the GPUs and add dual CPU option and 1 crazy fast GPU like the GTX1080 (or TI).

TB3 supports native eGPU (or any PCIe device) and something needs to happen with that industry so it's more affordable and people can upgrade the eGPU when they want to.

People are still keeping the cMPs because they can upgrade the parts in them for cheap and max it out...but the biggest thing is the GPU and price keeping back the nMP.

Shame on Apple.

I think this is why people get confused and complain. These are supposed to be workstations. Therefore, Xeons and workstation class video cards.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I am really sick of people acting like the latest processors are 300% better than even the previous generation. Even on the laptops. I do not notice a difference between my 2010 Mac Pro and my 2015 custom built system because they are both 6 core at 3.33Ghz.

Hmmmm.

It may have been noted before, however, is it possible that we have hit a processing ceiling?

Good enough computing power may just be good enough for now?

Macs are small enough to just simply get another Mac to pick up the additional production requirements?

How much more time savings is achieved by the increased processing speeds?

Maybe, the next quantum bump is to have the equivalent of an IBM Watson in the size of an affordable desktop or cylinder PC?

Or are we just were we need to be and the rest of the world needs to just catch up to us?

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Official eGPU support in Sierra? Please tell me more! :)
http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/macos-sierra-had-native-egpu-support

Hmmmm.

It may have been noted before, however, is it possible that we have hit a processing ceiling?

Good enough computing power may just be good enough for now?

Macs are small enough to just simply get another Mac to pick up the additional production requirements?

How much more time savings is achieved by the increased processing speeds?

Maybe, the next quantum bump is to have the equivalent of an IBM Watson in the size of an affordable desktop or cylinder PC?

Or are we just were we need to be and the rest of the world needs to just catch up to us?

There's definitely been a processor slowdown, but it's 2016 and time is money for some of us. Apple has dropped support for Xgrid; picking up an additional mac is a clunky workaround when the technology exists to have it all in one tidy package - that is, if your workload can even be divided amongst multiple machines.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.