Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Just pointing out - unless you are talking specifically about Apple....

Since the future is sometime after now, and there are currently displays in flagship smartphones at around 5", your sentence would seem to suggest that larger phones than this are the future - while also implying that in the past, the larger phones we have now were the future, thereby stating (however indirectly) that the recurrence of display changes is the future (phones getting larger and larger).

Couch, I really think you just try to eff with people here.....you make those "general" statements knowing full well how they can and will be taken and then say "Oh you should obviously have taken it this way" as if the reader is an idiot for not immediately deriving your meaning from a relatively general and combatively written statement.

It's also easy (and reasonable) to assume that by stating "Larger phones are the future" you are also saying the bigger the phone, the more advanced (since generally things developed in the future are more advanced than things developed now) - thereby equating screen size with technological superiority, which is not necessarily the case.

Seriously?

Learn to read. Here's the original post Irishman quoted that's referencing the rumored 4.3" screen:

Just like iOS 7, this is great for dedicated iPhone users. For the rest of us, if this turns out to be true at all, all we can say is, welcome to the future, Apple.

How does this have anything to do with current 5" screen devices? You're trying really hard, aren't you? Lol.

EDIT: I follow up in post #103 below, which got cut off: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17594588/

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
You do realize that Apple's relationship with the jailbreak community is not as whitehat/blackhat as many make it out to be. Apple's seen the work of jail breakers, and in some cases, gone on to hire them to bring their out of the box thinking into Apple.

Greg Hughes might disagree with this. Considering he submitted his Cydia app to Apple a year before they baked it in to iOS, they didn't even bother to alter his icon very much. But, this has been Apple's Modus Operandi since iOS5's introduction.

Attachments

• 1374090996222.png
    1374090996222.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 151

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
@Jrswizzle,

To follow up, Irishman implied that I was calling "ever-larger" phones the future. "Ever-larger" is in quotations because that's his own word. I never said such a thing.

Heck, I don't even know what "ever-larger" means. Does it mean the screen should forever get larger and larger and larger until the end of time for as long as Apple keeps making iPhones? Cause if so, yeah, I said that. :rolleyes:

It's odd that no one else is confused by my posts but you fellas.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
just pointing out - unless you are talking specifically about apple....

Since the future is sometime after now, and there are currently displays in flagship smartphones at around 5", your sentence would seem to suggest that larger phones than this are the future - while also implying that in the past, the larger phones we have now were the future, thereby stating (however indirectly) that the recurrence of display changes is the future (phones getting larger and larger).

Couch, i really think you just try to eff with people here.....you make those "general" statements knowing full well how they can and will be taken and then say "oh you should obviously have taken it this way" as if the reader is an idiot for not immediately deriving your meaning from a relatively general and combatively written statement.

It's also easy (and reasonable) to assume that by stating "larger phones are the future" you are also saying the bigger the phone, the more advanced (since generally things developed in the future are more advanced than things developed now) - thereby equating screen size with technological superiority, which is not necessarily the case.

Note: I'm not disagreeing with the assertion that apple feels they need to build iphones with larger displays. I am, however, hesitant to state that it is because they want to join "the future". More simply, i believe android handset makers "stumbled" upon this desire for a larger screen (because they were initially making larger devices to hold larger batteries) and in doing so inadvertently facilitated a boom in consumer desire that apple now feels it needs to match - at least somewhat. Popularity doesn't = advancement.

+1,000,000,000

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Seriously?

Learn to read. Here's the original post Irishman quoted that's referencing the rumored 4.3" screen:

How does this have anything to do with current 5" screen devices? You're trying really hard, aren't you? Lol.

*sigh*......

Either you really are as dense as you come across and can't understand how a sentence can say more than the simple general statement the words put together mean.....or you really are just trying to ******* with us.

Either way, I don't see the point. You said Apple creating larger devices would be met with a "welcome to the future". What do you mean by that? How do you think that sentence should be interpreted?

----------

@Jrswizzle,

To follow up, Irishman implied that I was calling "ever-larger" phones the future. "Ever-larger" is in quotations because that's his own word. I never said such a thing.

Heck, I don't even know what "ever-larger" means. Does it mean the screen should forever get larger and larger and larger until the end of time for as long as Apple keeps making iPhones? Cause if so, yeah, I said that. :rolleyes:

If you even bothered to read my post I explained how what you said could easily lead to Irishman's assumption. Heck, it was the first thing I thought too.

As I've said - you love to use these general statements and then rail on whomever doesn't glean the exact interpretation you want or were thinking.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
@Jrswizzle,

It's odd that no one else is confused by my posts but you fellas.

If not "ever-larger", then what did you mean by implying that larger phones are more futuristic than smaller phones, or that if given the choice between two comparable phones, you should pick the larger of the two because it's more futuristic?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
*sigh*......

Either you really are as dense as you come across and can't understand how a sentence can say more than the simple general statement the words put together mean.....or you really are just trying to ******* with us.

Either way, I don't see the point. You said Apple creating larger devices would be met with a "welcome to the future". What do you mean by that? How do you think that sentence should be interpreted?

----------

If you even bothered to read my post I explained how what you said could easily lead to Irishman's assumption. Heck, it was the first thing I thought too.

As I've said - you love to use these general statements and then rail on whomever doesn't glean the exact interpretation you want or were thinking.

There's really not much more I can say.

Somehow "welcome to the future, Apple" when there's a rumor of a 4.3" iPhone coming means I want Apple to increase the screen size larger and larger forever until the end of time without end. ... OK.

I can only laugh. I am literally laughing. Anyhoo...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
There's really not much more I can say.

Somehow "welcome to the future, Apple" when there's a rumor of a 4.3" iPhone coming means I want Apple to increase the screen size larger and larger forever until the end of time without end. ... OK.

I can only laugh. I am literally laughing. Anyhoo...

And yet another response, vaguely directed but that doesn't actually address anything I said in my initial response.

I am literally asking you - what did you mean by it? I am genuinely curious....it might help us better decipher your general responses next time.

So by saying "welcome to the future Apple" when confronted with the possibility of a 4.3" iPhone, you are saying.....nothing? Except the words, "welcome to the future"? Might as well have literally said nothing then.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If not "ever-larger", then what did you mean by implying that larger phones are more futuristic than smaller phones, or that if given the choice between two comparable phones, you should pick the larger of the two because it's more futuristic?

It's not rocket science, sir.

The 4S went from 3.5" to 4" screen. It got larger. Clearly, Apple thinks it is the future, too. (They may go even larger in the future -- gasp).

Maybe you need to clarify what "ever-larger" means, cause I actually don't know what that means. I know what "larger" means, which is what I said. Maybe you should explain what "ever-larger" means. It gets larger forever on and on ceaselessly?

This is really comical.

And yes, having choice is [hopefully] part of Apple's future. I said this in an earlier post, too.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

The 4S went from 3.5" to 4" screen. It got larger. Clearly, Apple thinks it is the future, too. (They may go even larger in the future -- gasp).

Maybe you need to clarify what "ever-larger" means, cause I actually don't know what that means. I know what "larger" means, which is what I said. Maybe you should explain what "ever-larger" means. It gets larger forever on and on ceaselessly?

This is really comical.

And yes, having choice is [hopefully] part of Apple's future. I said this in an earlier post, too.

Agreed....

Obviously then the hang-up is on the meaning of the word "future". Seems to me you were simply saying that Apple made a 4" iPhone after a 3.5" one and by doing so in that order the 4" iPhone is "in the future" compared to the 3.5" one.

To which I ask, so why is the S4 Mini not the future since it came out after the S4......or the One mini?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Agreed....

Obviously then the hang-up is on the meaning of the word "future". Seems to me you were simply saying that Apple made a 4" iPhone after a 3.5" one and by doing so in that order the 4" iPhone is "in the future" compared to the 3.5" one.

To which I ask, so why is the S4 Mini not the future since it came out after the S4......or the One mini?

: face palm :

Jr, I've had this dance with you before and it always ends with this: learn to read.

Seriously not insulting you.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
: face palm :

Jr, I've had this dance with you before and it always ends with this: learn to read.

Seriously not insulting you.

No - I'm not letting this one go. I've read every word and am convinced you don't even understand your own post. The fact you can't answer simple questions only lends to that hypothesis.....

Answer my question. Humor me - I'm a dumb, poor old soul who can't read - spell it out.

I also find it ironic that you tell me to learn to read when you clearly haven't been reading my posts at all.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No - I'm not letting this one go. I've read every word and am convinced you don't even understand your own post. The fact you can't answer simple questions only lends to that hypothesis.....

Answer my question. Humor me - I'm a dumb, poor old soul who can't read - spell it out.

I also find it ironic that you tell me to learn to read when you clearly haven't been reading my posts at all.

The Mini is addressing a specific market -- the mid-range market. Is it released after the S4 thus in the future in terms of timeline? Sure.

Is it the future as in pushing new technologies and boundaries? Hardly. In this case, it's going backwards. There's a reason they aren't "flagships" or "high-end" phones.

Comprende?

I'll let you guess which "future" I meant in my original post. Hopefully you don't need me to spell that one out too.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The Mini is addressing a specific market -- the mid-range market. Is it released after the S4 thus in the future in terms of timeline? Sure.

Is it the future as in pushing new technologies and boundaries? Hardly. In this case, it's going backwards. There's a reason they aren't "flagships" or "high-end" phones.

Comprende?

I'll let you guess which "future" I meant in my original post. Hopefully you don't need me to spell that one out too.

So you ARE saying that larger phones are more advanced?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

This is really comical.

What's not rocket science?

And everyone else seems to get my meaning, except for you.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So you ARE saying that larger phones are more advanced?

Are you saying they aren't? Please compare the specs of Minis to their counterparts -- you know, the ones that people deem are said company's "flagship" phones.

Then, keep in mind, I never uttered the word "ever-larger." I have no idea what this actually even means. Does this mean screen sizes should get larger and larger and larger forever with no end, because that's sort of what it sounds like it means. I've asked Irishman to clarify since he's the one that said that (and implied that that's what I was saying). He failed to prove anywhere where I said that. He argued against me based on his own insinuation (something you're familiar with, aren't you?).

So, you guys keep asking me to clarify what I mean by "welcome to the future, Apple" when I'm asking you guys (mainly Irishman) what in the world "ever-larger" means.

I also said this bolded part, which you might want to take into consideration before you reply:

Have you been living under a rock? Even Apple thinks larger is the future (iPhone 4S to 5, anyone?).

But, I would modify it by saying "choice" is the future. Or at least it should.

Choice is part of the future, too. Or, again, at least it should be.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Are you saying they aren't? Please compare the specs of Minis to their counterparts -- you know, the ones that people deem are said company's "flagship" phones.

No, not necessarily. Just because it is larger, doesn't mean it necessarily more advanced - that was my point the entire time. Why it took this long to get that, I'm not sure.

Then, keep in mind, I never uttered the word "ever-larger." I have no idea what this actually even means. Does this mean screen sizes should get larger and larger and larger forever with no end, because that's sort of what it sounds like it means. I've asked Irishman to clarify since he's the one that said that (and implied that that's what I was saying). He failed to prove anywhere where I said that. He argued against me based on his own insinuation (something you're familiar with, aren't you?).

I never said you did - I think "ever-larger" means that phones should continue getting larger each year as they have been doing (Samsung is THE example - each year, the display gets larger). Indefinitely? No, obviously Irish wasn't insinuating that displays would get bigger forever, rather was saying that the assertion a phone needed to get larger to be more advanced or to be welcomed to the future (as that seems to be the trend) is preposterous.

For me (and I think for you), the issue for Apple is injecting options into the iPhone line. A 4" iPhone isn't necessarily "behind" - but the fact Apple doesn't offer a few options IS.

So, you guys keep asking me to clarify what I mean by "welcome to the future, Apple" when I'm asking you guys (mainly Irishman) what in the world "ever-larger" means.

I also said this bolded part, which you might want to take into consideration before you reply:

Choice is part of the future, too. Or, again, at least it should be.

See my second reply here - I know. Everyone needs to calm down now. Lol - boy was that fun :p

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What's not rocket science?

And everyone else seems to get my meaning, except for you.

Let's go back to the beginning since, apparently, it does need to be spelled out for you.

Here's what I said regarding a rumored 4.3" iPhone:

I remain skeptical but if this is true, this is surely a reaction to the trending large screens.

Just like iOS 7, this is great for dedicated iPhone users. For the rest of us, if this turns out to be true at all, all we can say is, welcome to the future, Apple.

Then you said:

Um, because a larger phone screen represents the future?!?

Nope.

Then I said:

Have you been living under a rock? Even Apple thinks larger is the future (iPhone 4S to 5, anyone?).

Then you said:

There's a difference between making one size change in screen size over the history of the iPhone (so far) and thinking that ever-larger phones are the future.

Apple does not think ever-larger phones are the future.

Then I asked you to show me where I said I and/or Apple thinks the future is "ever-larger" phones (whatever that means). You couldn't.

Then you explained you weren't accusing me of that (Okay... :rolleyes:) but were just explaining the difference between changing it once (to a larger screen -- gasp) versus changing it over and over again in a pattern.

The end.

So, my conclusions are: "ever-larger" had nothing to do with my original post (this is what you said; you were just clarifying the difference for no real reason to me), and that larger phones are indeed the future, as Apple has actually demonstrated themselves (4S to 5).

I just walked you through that like a child. I'll leave it there. Good luck.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Are you saying they aren't?

I am. Size of the phone's screen alone means little in terms of its position on the continuum of advancement. Flagship phones don't remain flagship phones if they only increase the screen size. You'll notice that handset makers add and upspec other features or innovations as well as making the phone screen larger. Sometimes they don't make the phone screen size functionally larger at all (GS4 I'm looking at you!)

Then, keep in mind, I never uttered the word "ever-larger." I have no idea what this actually even means. Does this mean screen sizes should get larger and larger and larger forever with no end, because that's sort of what it sounds like it means.

It means I'm trying to be precise with my language. What Apple has done is increase the iPhone screen size once in the phone's history. That's a one-time increase, not an indicator of a trend at Apple. You need at three data points to make a trend, and right now, noone has those data points. By saying "ever larger", I meant to specify a trend of Apple making phones larger in a trend. Not from now until the end of time, as you ridiculously asserted.

So, you guys keep asking me to clarify what I mean by "welcome to the future, Apple"....I also said this bolded part, which you might want to take into consideration before you reply: ....Choice is part of the future, too. Or, again, at least it should be.

And yet, by your own words, the only future you have expressed any desire to live in is one with a continued trend of larger phones, not a generic claim of "choice". By your own words, bigger phones are more futuristic than smaller phones.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I am. Size of the phone's screen alone means little in terms of its position on the continuum of advancement. Flagship phones don't remain flagship phones if they only increase the screen size. You'll notice that handset makers add and upspec other features or innovations as well as making the phone screen larger. Sometimes they don't make the phone screen size functionally larger at all (GS4 I'm looking at you!)

It means I'm trying to be precise with my language. What Apple has done is increase the iPhone screen size once in the phone's history. That's a one-time increase, not an indicator of a trend at Apple. You need at three data points to make a trend, and right now, noone has those data points. By saying "ever larger", I meant to specify a trend of Apple making phones larger in a trend. Not from now until the end of time, as you ridiculously asserted.

And yet, by your own words, the only future you have expressed any desire to live in is one with a continued trend of larger phones, not a generic claim of "choice". By your own words, bigger phones are more futuristic than smaller phones.

Oh snap - well said. Like Couch said - we've done this dance numerous times. It's quite entertaining, at least for me (and I'm assuming for passersby who read our exchanges). Couch likes to speak in generalizations - sweeping generalizations and if you disagree, well you obviously didn't read it correctly or at all.

But hey - I appreciate the banter. It's always good to test the mind with good back-and-forth. Grew up with three brothers - 4 years between all of us.....plenty of banter there, especially given I'm the oldest, the middle one is now at Duke Law and the youngest one is the more stubborn than Couch!

----------

Ultimately here is the question who's answer will decide this whole thing:

If you were given a 4" iPhone (Android) and a 5" iPhone (Android) with the exact same specs across the board (same ppi, obviously different resolution), built at the same time - which is more advanced? Which is "the future"?

Go.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Was my original post not discussing screen sizes? Do I have to quote my original post yet again for you? And screen size of a future Apple device (talking timeline now) which will inevitably feature better specs (remember, we're discussing rumors of a 5S phone). How is this not both the future screen size wise AND spec-wise? Are we not talking about the same rumor?

Jackie-chan-meme.jpg

The only future I desire to live in? Lol. This is inaccurate. Why do I own an HTC One with 4.7" screen when there's the Xperia Z or S4 or Note series all with larger screens? The trend for flagships are larger screens. I didn't decide this (not directly anyway).

Regarding the "not a generic claim of choice..." you keep ignoring a vital part of this debate. It's ridiculous how I have to point it out to you over and over again. Ha:

I really can't make it easier.

Seriously, good luck. I'm going to leave it at that.

----------

Ultimately here is the question who's answer will decide this whole thing:

If you were given a 4" iPhone (Android) and a 5" iPhone (Android) with the exact same specs across the board (same ppi, obviously different resolution), built at the same time - which is more advanced? Which is "the future"?

Go.

Ultimately, choice is the real future.

But in terms of technology? The 5" is more advance, no? More screen estate to work with, likely larger battery in a larger device (Note II anyone?), more freedom for components (possibly allowing it to be thinner, maybe even lighter?), and an achievement of same PPI in a larger screen (how is this not more advanced? Isn't this technologically harder to do?).

I'm no expert, but others can probably chime in.

The only drawbacks are personal drawbacks and not technological. 5" might be harder to use one handed, etc.

EDIT: I should add, though, that eventually, you'll get diminishing returns as you get larger. At some point, a phone can get too large to use. But by then, maybe there will be a new trending future -- foldable screens, etc. I don't know.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Ultimately, choice is the real future.

But in terms of technology? The 5" is more advance, no? More screen estate to work with, likely larger battery in a larger device (Note II anyone?), more freedom for components (possibly allowing it to be thinner, maybe even lighter?), and an achievement of same PPI in a larger screen (how is this not more advanced? Isn't this technologically harder to do?).

I'm no expert, but others can probably chime in.

The only drawbacks are personal drawbacks and not technological. 5" might be harder to use one handed, etc.

Ehh you missed the point - everything the same (battery life, screen quality, internals) I was asking about the size.....but whatever. I'm bored with this. The whole point is - screen size is subjective. Bigger isn't necessarily better....especially since real life is nothing like my example and there are always drawbacks and cons.

You're right - options are the future and Apple is certainly looking to the future - so it would seem. Don't know that 4.3" is part of it, but will welcome the larger iPhone if/when it comes.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Ehh you missed the point - everything the same (battery life, screen quality, internals) I was asking about the size.....but whatever. I'm bored with this. The whole point is - screen size is subjective. Bigger isn't necessarily better....especially since real life is nothing like my example and there are always drawbacks and cons.

Fair enough. If you want the scenario to be so hypothetical, then I agree it will be more about preference, except for obviously the larger screen real-estate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.