Would it be stupid to buy an AppleTV now?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Virgo, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I really want an AppleTV to watch Netflix in the living room with my boyfriend. I'm thinking about getting one for us for Valentine's. But on the other hand, I'm always the type of person who wants to buy something right when the new version comes out.. that way I get the most life out of the technology... do you think a new one will come out shortly? Or should I pull the trigger?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

On one hand, its been awhile since a refresh. On the other, it doesn't seem like Apple is close to any revolutionary content deals.

The game console lite rumor is the only remote possibility of substance. I would love it, but seems to messy for an Apple product. A major launch relying on third party controllers? Sounds to much like a hackjob mess.

If you want to be safe, wait out March til April. But its a total flip of the coin.

3. linds15 macrumors 6502a

if your primary use is netflix by now. if a new one comes out with games and you want to have that, buy that and throw the old one in a bedroom or spare room and get netflix there. or sell it for 50$ and have had the enjoyment for ~50$ until the new one comes out

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

It'd be ill-advised to pay full price ($99) for one now....wait for a refurb to show up at $75 or $80.

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Buy now. It is highly doubtful apple is going to offer a new Apple TV without introducing it at an event. And that is quite some time away.

6. SurfMacJpMtb macrumors member

SurfMacJpMtb

The ATV is overdue for an update but it is a relatively inexpensive and a nice addition to an iTunes/iPhoto ecosystem. If you are ready to buy this week then check out Best Buy for a discount. Enjoy!

7. iTouch macrumors 6502

Noticed Best Buy selling it for around $83 tonight. Not bad. I paid $80 for mine.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, you are contradictory here. You ask "would it be stupid to buy now" and admit that you always want to buy something when it is brand new. Combining these, I'd say it is stupid to delay a $99 purchase of a Valentine's gift because of some misguided feelings. Really, unless you have a definite announcement that something new will be coming (and rumours don't count), delaying a purchase is daft. That Apple TV should be working for five years, and no matter when you buy it, for four or more years it will not be the latest model.

9. HobeSoundDarryl, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    1. Apple still see it as a "hobby" and has gone as long as about 4 years between updates.

2. Even previous generation (even first generation) seems easy to sell in the used market after new versions come out. If you buy a refurb or about $85 now and a new one shows up in October, you might sell that refurb for about $65. That would be like renting full use of one for $2.50/month between now and then. If #1 applies and a new one waits until 2015, it would drive that rental-equivalent number right on down.

3. Consider being a buyer in that secondary market at $65 or so (craigslist, etc). Then, you might be able to fully enjoy one now and sell it for about $65 when the next one comes out- a free rental period if you will.

It's a very useful device (well beyond being a nice portal to Netflx). For $85-$100 with a seemingly strong second-hand market at around $65+, it seems like a no-brainer to get one when you want one.

10. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

When has it ever been 4 years between updates? Right now we're a day from 700 days since the last update, which is almost 2 years. The longest wait between updates after that is 608 days—not even close to 4 years.

I do agree with 2. and 3., though, because in my personal opinion, I don't think we'll be seeing an updated Apple TV until WWDC, unless they do another quiet release.

11. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Buy one now. Even if a new one comes out in a few months it won't affect the functionality of the current device. It's unlikely that there will be a major update any time soon anyway. And if there's a new thing that's just mind-blowingly better, then worst case scenario is that you have an extra device to use on another TV or to hand down to someone else.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd change this to "unlike there will be a major update that costs $99". I could imagine a lot of useful functionality that would make Apple charge, and make me willing to pay, twice as much. For example, ability to attach two external hard drives; one for Time Machine backups and one for storing my iTunes Library. Or the CPU copied from the iPhone 5s and ability to play games.

13. joelshooty macrumors member

A refurb direct from Apple is $75. It's been that price for awhile.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A/refurbished-apple-tv
    A brand new Apple TV is $84 on Amazon right now.
    A couple of weeks ago Best Buy and Amazon had them for $80.
    Personally I'd go with the $84 from Amazon because after sales tax the refurb is $79.50 for me (and I don't pay sales tax with Amazon... YMMV depending on your state). Just pay the extra $4.50 and get it new.

My personal opinion: If you want it, get it. You never know what's coming or when it's coming. Worst case: You buy a refurb for $75. In a couple of months Apple releases an updated Apple TV and you really want it. Sell the ATV3 for $60 and buy the ATV4. Basically you paid $15 to rent an ATV3 for a couple of months.

14. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Fair enough.

Good plan.

15. HobeSoundDarryl, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Check time span between gen 1 and gen 2.

Why count the days between gen 2 and 3 and since 3 but ignore the only one that would be left?:rolleyes:

16. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

Thanks for the suggestions... I went ahead and got the one from Amazon for $84. They did charge me $7.56 sales tax, though..

I'm going to just love it as it is, and if I decide I really need the new one I will keep this one for a different TV or gift it!

17. nabwong macrumors regular

I got a refurb atv3 to compare to my roku 2xs. The roku is way better at everything except of course the Mac proper tar stuff like airplay. Returning the atv and waiting for their next update. You can get a refurb roku 2 xs from newegg for $48.

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Get a chromecast, $35 and you initiate the stream from a device, then you can turn off the device. When apple finally updates the Apple TV, then move the chromecast to another TV.

That is what I did. No fn way I'd buy an appleTV now. Like the iPod touch 4, the present appleTV will not be supported 8 months after it's sold as new.

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Um, have we all missed the heavy rumors of a new Apple TV next month?

To answer the question in the title: Yes, very.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It sounds like a new one is coming out this year, but I don't think there's any good sense of if it'll be just some small spec bump or if it'll be a redesign the likes of the first gen to second gen models. It's a good device even at $100, but I'd try to find one on sale for $85 or $90. Amazon might sell them, and at Target you can get 5 percent off using the Target credit card.

21. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

This is what I did tonight. I absolutely love it!

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I will have to wait for next gen ATV and see what they have. If nothing special then I will order it from Apple refurb store for $75. :apple:

23. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Do the earlier ATV's get the latest app updates? (Disney/ PBS/ Korea etc.)?

24. slothrob macrumors 6502

aTV2, yes. aTV1, no.

25. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I would think of what else you will buy for Valentines Day. I usually buy my wife a dozen roses which cost about $75. She enjoys them for about 1 week and then they are tossed. Would you consider that a waste of $75? I do, but she gets enjoyment out of them for at least a short amount of time. And for that reason on Valentines Day it is worth it to me.

The ATV is a very low cost investment. Like others have said you can put it on a second TV if a new one comes on in March or April or ???.

I currently have 5. I also bought them as gifts for others for Christmas.

If a new model comes out that gives me more then I get with the ones I have I have will replace at lease 2 or 3 of them and give the ones I have to family members. They are very nice devices to have for your Apple ECO System.