Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Everyone's perception of value is different. I can only tell you where I stand. I would give a definite "yes" to sticking with Stainless. As for upgrading every 3-4 years, that's pretty much a given with a smartwatch. Probably by that point the battery is going to be getting high in cycles anyway.

The incremental cost of going with stainless is not a big deal to me, but the enjoyment of wearing something shiny and classy-looking is a big deal. I'm going to have that on my wrist every day, for business and pleasure. I want to admire it. I want others to admire it.

I started with an aluminum Apple Watch in 2015 and ended up returning it for the stainless within the two week return window, because I realized pretty quickly that I wanted something nice on my wrist. The Sport watch was decent but mostly looked utilitarian. Once I replaced it with the SS model, I felt really good wearing it. Heck, a few months later, I went the full monte and purchased the stainless link bracelet, which is now attached to my Series 2 and will probably end up on a Series 4 and maybe a Series 6, because unlike the watch body, the bracelet does not need to be replaced. Just refinished from time to time, perhaps.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Everyone's perception of value is different. I can only tell you where I stand. I would give a definite "yes" to sticking with Stainless. As for upgrading every 3-4 years, that's pretty much a given with a smartwatch. Probably by that point the battery is going to be getting high in cycles anyway.

The incremental cost of going with stainless is not a big deal to me, but the enjoyment of wearing something shiny and classy-looking is a big deal. I'm going to have that on my wrist every day, for business and pleasure. I want to admire it. I want others to admire it.

I started with an aluminum Apple Watch in 2015 and ended up returning it for the stainless within the two week return window, because I realized pretty quickly that I wanted something nice on my wrist. The Sport watch was decent but mostly looked utilitarian. Once I replaced it with the SS model, I felt really good wearing it. Heck, a few months later, I went the full monte and purchased the stainless link bracelet, which is now attached to my Series 2 and will probably end up on a Series 4 and maybe a Series 6, because unlike the watch body, the bracelet does not need to be replaced. Just refinished from time to time, perhaps.

I find myself wearing my black stainless steel link bracelet with the regular stainless Apple Watch and my regular stainless link bracelet with my black stainless Apple Watch. Really like the look of the contrast and I have had many compliments on the overall combination.

Reactions: redman042

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Title pretty much says it all. I got the SS series 0 back when it first came out, and I'm still wearing it daily today. Still, dealing with the slow performance is pretty painful these days and I'm considering upgrading to the 4 when it comes out. The big question in my mind is whether I should go SS again, or go with aluminum this go around.

I got the SS the first go around because I wanted the durability of the sapphire glass, but I feel like I'm paying the price now because I just can't justify spending $600 every 1-2 years on a watch. So I figured I would ask here to see what others have done. If you owned the series 0 SS, would you buy SS again?
Echoing what many have said already, I owned the SS series 0, then the SS S2, and decided to go aluminium for S3 to save on costs.

That didn't last long.

Among other things, the aluminium just doesn't come close to the same wear experience as the SS. Totally different level of aesthetic beauty in both look and feel.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
SS S0 which I kept as a spare (since it has little resale value) when I upgraded to the SS S3.

I’ve had the Apple link bracelet since the beginning and it still looks like new after I brush it out with a ScotchBrite every now and then. I also have the Saddle Brown Classic Buckle and both bands draw compliments.

I got SS because it looks and feels like jewelry and I knew scratches could be polished out if desired.

If Apple had made the watch in Aluminum only, I would not have been excited about it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Among other things, the aluminium just doesn't come close to the same wear experience as the SS. Totally different level of aesthetic beauty in both look and feel.

Well said. And its true. The stainless is significantly more expensive, but the price tag does pay for itself with the overall look of the stainless or black stainless, and of course the Sapphire display. I find the sapphire display to be crucial in protecting the display long term.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
I have series 2 aluminum and will buy the series 4 aluminum. With consistent enhancements I'll purchase an Apple watch every other year. The aluminum version is priced well and I have a Ghost Armor screen protector ($475 with Apple care). I'll compare the stainless/saphire model ($700) but I not sure about adding weight to a watch, plus the cost of a new model upgrade every other year.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I had the S0 SS and bought the S3 SS recently. Pretty mad at Apple for making me shell out for the LTE version just to get stainless, but at least cell service isn't mandatory. I haven't activated it and won't. Mandatory service will prob come with S4 haha.

dustyblueheron

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
Minnesota
I ordered a S0 SS at time of launch, and love the watch. The back did fall off (a problem with some of the early models), but it was replaced with another S0 SS through Apple Care. While the first was away during the replacement process, I bought a S0 Aluminum Black Sport, because I didn’t want to lose the Activity and Workout apps while waiting for the new watch. Turned out I liked the Aluminum one so much, I’ve stuck with that since, wearing the SS watch only as an alternate. Now have a Series 2 Space Gray Aluminum, and a Series 3 GPS Silver Aluminum, and am very happy with both. I would not put out the money again for a SS model because I now know I will be replacing them every couple of years anyway for battery and upgrade reasons, and am happy with the way they look. Have had no problems whatsoever with scratches and durability.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
As an aluminium user, and living in a town with no Apple Store, I've been unable to closely examine the stainless version. However now that S3 LTE watches have launched in my country, I have at least been able to check out the ceramic backpiece closely, and yeah... No way I can ever go back to plastic again.

I mean, sure, the plastic back isn't terrible (it's really nicely made for being a piece of plastic), and it is very light weight which makes the aluminium watch almost effortless to wear together with an equally lightweight nylon wristband, but the ceramic and sapphire backpiece has a wholly different level of quality to it, a slickness and solidity that isn't there with the plastic.

So yeah. Pretty sure it'll be stainless for my next Watch, probably the carbon black version, because that would blend really nicely with the black OLED display.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I had a SS Series 0 and LOVED IT. I just upgraded to a SBSS Series 3 and I LOVE IT!

I couldn't go "down" to the aluminum. It feels like jewelry and it's SO durable. I had no scratches on the screen at all on my Series 0...couldn't go without the Sapphire Glass, ultimately. The only "bummer" is now my silver accessories don't work on the SBSS, but I am LOVING the black color. The black was only offered with the Apple Link Bracelet in the original series and there was no way I was going to pay $1200 for the watch. Found an open box at Best Buy and with certificates, I got $100 off...and sold my Series 0 for $160. Pretty sweet deal! I'll probably wait for the Series 6 now...

Reactions: LD Curb

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Forgive my ignorance but does the sapphire glass of the SS not even suffer with micro fine scratches? I’ve usually stuck with aluminium but always use a screen protector for the fine scratches but would rather not use 1

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Forgive my ignorance but does the sapphire glass of the SS not even suffer with micro fine scratches? I’ve usually stuck with aluminium but always use a screen protector for the fine scratches but would rather not use 1

The sapphire display can technically still scratch, but it’s very difficult to do. It really depends on what the Sapphire display comes in contact with to show any type of scratches at all. But in terms of actually suffering micro scratches, it’s not nearly that on the level that the Ion– X glass would show, being it does not have nearly the amount of protection sapphire does.

Reactions: yui4

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI

There wasn’t a scratch on my Series 0 in three years. No micro scratches...nothing.

Reactions: yui4

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I actually upgraded from a sports model originally (due to a champagne incident which cover the thing) to the SS S0 42mm model and traded it in last week. I never really got any scratches on the screen on either to be honest. I love the fact that I didn't need to worry about the screen scratching with a sapphire model but then again, i never got any marks on the sports one, sports case was ok although the steel was kinda beat up.

I traded for a 38mm S3 LTE. The speed of the S0 was killing me. I was debating an SS S2 but went with the S3 and 38mm fits me better and looks less ridiculous on my wrist. The altimeter was the killer feature for me and now it really is a Fitbit replacement. The speed is great and so far no scratches.

When I bought the SS S0 originally it was to replace my watch and to function as a watch. As time as gone by, I realised it is more fitness tracker (an expensive one) that tells the time, so I went with the sports model this time. It's light and great for sleep tracking. Although I don't use any sleep apps as they all suck! I will wait till apple implement something.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
SBSS Compared to all the aluminum ones I see at work looks brand new.
We shall see what the next generation brings

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
SBSS Compared to all the aluminum ones I see at work looks brand new.
We shall see what the next generation brings

I think Apple will still offer the ceramic, stainless and aluminum for the next version of the Apple Watch. But I would be interested to see if they ever offer something like titanium as an Apple Watch casing, which is still light weight and very durable. ESpecially if some do not like the weight of the stainless steel.

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
My S3 was my first Apple Watch. I was debating between 38 and 42, and also between Aluminum and SS. I WANTED to prefer the SS, but after trying both on my wrist I did not like the extra weight. I would not be happy at the gym or doing anything active with the extra weight on my wrist, so it had to be the aluminum. I don't really think about it anymore and haven't regretted it.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
My watch is closing in on 3 years this coming June. It's still a beast. As far as materials are concerned, SS will always be my go to. As far as replacement, I'll get a battery replacement when it can't go more than a day. i'm taking my watch until it dies. Maybe 10 years+

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Had an S0 SS and upgraded to an S3 SS a few months ago. My wife has an aluminum S0, and I could never go that route. I do not like yellow or rose gold and I am not a fan of the matte finish on the silver color. I also much prefer the weight of the SS. I have a Milanese loop and Hermes band that would be mismatched with an aluminum case. Overall the aluminum just looks cheap compared to the stainless. I do wish that there was a non-LTE version. That is a feature Apple definitely could have left out. I never realized how little LTE is available here until I used a device that is LTE only. And I am in an area of 750,000 people that is supposedly blanketed in LTE.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The durability of the sport model is highly underrated. I would never go to SS as the aesthetic isn’t there for me nor am I able to justify the cost of the SS compared to the aluminum.

As a stainless owner, you’re absolutely right. The 7000 series aluminum is extremely durable, and holds well up to scratches, scuffs and Dents. And I can Attest its not just with the Apple Watch, but even using the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7, which uses the same 7000 series aluminum, and both of those phones had no scratches whatsoever when owning them.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I got a SS at launch and wore it every day until about a week ago. It looked almost new when I turned it in at Apple as a trade in for the ceramic. I would have gotten SS again but wanted to try the ceramic. I may get a SS in addition to keeping the ceramic if the next model has major improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.