Would this dent void my warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thatquadguy, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Thatquadguy macrumors newbie

Apple have shipped me a brand new phone due to this one (with the dent) having image retention. It arrived today and is fully working. I of course have to send this one back however there is a dent/scuff on the bezel and I am worried they will turn around and say the image retention is not covered due to the dent.

What is the likely outcome? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I do not work for Apple and I claim absolutely no concrete knowledge but it should really be just fine. I have had Apple employees personally set me up with repairs just because of cosmetic damage not caused by me, so I would assume a legitimate issue should be fine.

You can always refuse the price of replacement and send it back, however.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doesn't look that bad or much damage to me.
    I think you'd be fine.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You should be fine. Apple will recase the phone and use as a refurb

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Really?? I doubt it .

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You seem to be the only one who does not think so:p

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I doubt it's economical to recase the returned phone .

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you think happens when they refurbish phones?
    They recase them so there's no scratches or marks that show usage. So exterior looks and feels brand new. Then fix, replace and reuse internal components.

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

next time add a few coins to the box....then say in shipping it must have dented/scratched it.

*just kidding, i don't do that.

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

It will not. I had about 7 of those dents on my 5 and they replaced it easily. The thing about Apple is every "genius" is different. Some follow the rule book very strictly and some do not mind.

11. BeeJee macrumors 6502

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You have a source that confirms they recase refurbs?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, every certified replacement comes with a brand new casing and looks and feels brand new. Matter of fact its very very hard to tell when you get an apple iphone replacement and a brand new iphone.
    Here's their process below:
    https://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

14. itjw macrumors 65816

Yes. Apple.

This is what they do when they grab a "brand new" "white box" phone from the hidden drawers in the stores... It's a "new" casing, refurb internals, and that's enough for most people who aren't batpoop anal over this kinda thing. I was fairly certain everyone knew this. I even once heard someone get into it with a genius because they were told Apple "didn't do refurbs" and he clarified that all they meant was a "new" shell. They were furious. First world problems...

Unless it's the first few days (sometimes (rarely) weeks) of a product launch (when they have legitimate "new" stock to cover returns/defects), it's 99.9% a new case with refurb internals.

----------

And no, OP, you'll be fine.

As long as there isn't any othe damage you aren't showing us (liquid or otherwise), that one "scuff" (lol... "scuff") won't be a warranty killer. I say that with 99.999% certainty (the .001% being the fact that I am a poster on an internet forum, and you have no recourse if I'm wrong). But seriously, it'll be FINE.

:apple:

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The link does not cover recasing of apple products, it implies they make repairs and sell a returned item as a refurb.

If they recase great, but I have not seen apple acknowledge this formally.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple has very strict quality control standards with replacement products and very thorough inspections in the refurbishing process.
    But you don't have have to listen or believe anything. I guess the millions of customers that receive replacement devices that look and feel brand new is not proof enough for ya.

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You haven't provided evidence for what you claimed. There isn't a lot to talk about that.
    :rolleyes:

18. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yeah my last iPhone had a smashed in corner very similar to that and the genius was not going to replace it. i argued with her and a manager came out and replaced my phone... although there were more issues...

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I have received refurbs in the past. They varied in quality, some felt like they were brand new, and others you knew were a refurb, due to a scratch etc.

Refurbs do not always feel brand new. Hence they are refurbs, and you are paying less for them.

----------

I don't believe that evidence exist anywhere. We are just suppose to accept that every refurb is "like" brand new.

20. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

This isn't totally true. When a phone launches they will have white boxes which of course aren't refurbished :3

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know.
    I'll take a pic next time:D

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Since they do that with many, many thousands of phones, I'd say they probably have a machine looking a bit like a giant can opener, you put in the iPhone, it slices the case open in the sides, the bottom case falls off, they turn it around, top case falls off, then it goes into a second machine that puts the phone into a new case, and that's it :) Takes 15 seconds and a case.

Same parts of the description might not involve machines but a worker in China...

----------

They should be _like_ brand new. If there are clear signs of use, you should swap it for one without signs.

23. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hmm.. I have a similar dent and I wonder the same thing. Less of a concern since I do have AC+. However, the top right front of the screen seems to be coming off; there's a little give when you press down the corner that isn't present in the other 3 corners.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So you are making judgement on how it "feels"?:rolleyes:

This "recasing" has been going on for years. Surely you do not think that Apple just tosses the whole device in the garbage when it is returned.:p

Been around here from 2008?

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

What part of Refurbished do you not understand? Its NOT brand new :rolleyes:

Provide me a source of your information confirming they re-case! We are talking about re-caseing the iphone and not reboxing (white box)!

Been around long enough to realize people come to conclusions without any evidence. Some don't even know what Refurb means, hence it can feel like brand new, but its not, someone has owned that before you ;)