Would you agree?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jav6454, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Would you agree with the following? If not. How would you rate it? Be serious and as unbiased as possible. I forgot to add Windows 2000, which in my opinion should be equal or a bit less than WIndows XP.

Attached Files:

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For the most part, yes.

Windows NT was quite good, 2000 was even better, and I actually liked XP most of all the Windows versions. Vista took a huge step backward IMO, and 7 hasn't improved it much in my eyes.

3. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Win 7 was just the SP2 to Vista. No, thats a rather true statement. Win 7 did nothing but new eye candy and actually fixing the problems they had, that coupled with Vendors finally getting drivers out made MS look good. However, they are still FAR from Windows XP levels. I want an OS just like XP that works great and doesn't require the insane specs Vista did.

Why not work from scratch using XP as base? Is it so hard?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I bought Vista about a year after it was originally released. I've only ever run it on my iMac, so I can't really attest to whether the hardware incompatibility issues were real or overblown, because it seems to work fine with all my hardware (printers and scanner included).

I have Win 7 on my work laptop (a Dell) and my MacBook, I don't use it any more than I have to but yes, it appears to be Vista with some underlying eye candy and a couple of UI tweaks/enhancements. Nothing earth-shattering, but it seems to work okay.

I whole-heartedly agree, MS would have done themselves and their user base a HUGE favor by simply making necessary adjustments to XP, rather than re-writing and adding a bunch of "features" that do nothing for functionality, reliability, or compatibility.

5. mbprouser macrumors member

mbprouser

I think XP was the best Windows of the last decade. Ok, so maybe that's because it was the only one released... j/k. But seriously, I'm not impressed with Windows 7 and ignored Vista.

6. vettefanZR1 macrumors newbie

To me, 7 is what vista should have been by windows standards. my windows complaint was that installing a new version of windows was rarely and upgrade, as much as it was a complete wiping of the hard drive and starting over. As far as the "windows.old" was concerned, while it saved my data, it never really worked well and it was nearly impossible to live with. Loving Mac OS X

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't wholly agree.

For me, Snow Leopard is Meh, and so far I'm pretty unimpressed with Lion
    I think for the most part in terms of features to performance OSX its stride with Jaguar. While 10.5 added lots of features, it added bloat too. 10.4 was a fast lean OS.

For Windows that's pretty close, except that windows 7 is on par with OSX at this point. It offers great stability, ease of use, little problems in terms of malware (provided you install antivirus software). In fact win7 does a number of things better then OSX. I was hoping that apple would throw in lots of meaty updates to 10.7 especially since there really weren't any updates to 10.6 (other then under the hood stuff). Sadly instead we got the ipadification of OSX.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't agree with the pictures, but they are extremely funny and I can picture it in the stereotype. I'm ROFL lol
    Windows hasn't been a big problem for me since 98 tbh. I thought OS X was terrible until Leopard (tiger at most)

*edit* AHHH Wheres windows 2000??????????? Oh i just looked at the OP

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

More or less. Windows 7 is a lot better than you seem to be giving it credit for, though. I'm not sure what I think of Lion yet, but we'll see.

A lot of people seem to complain about Win7 and how it's not as good as XP. In my book, when I can install the latest OS on a 5 year old computer and have it run just as fast (if not faster) as the OS that was on it when it came out, that's a well-done OS. This happened with Win7, it runs great on my 1.5 GHz Pentium M, just as fast as XP.

I'm not a Windows advocate by any means, but MS did well with Win7.

10. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

True that can be said for a 10 year old OS. However, take into account that when XP came out Windows 2000 was out and almost all computers could run without problems XP.

Windows 7 has a bit less requirements than Vista, but still, its a giant leap not everyone could make originally.