Would you buy a new 17" MacBook Pro if Apple made one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booksbooks, Nov 12, 2017.

?

Would you buy a new 17" MacBook Pro if Apple made one?

1. Yes

57.5%
  2. No

42.5%
  1. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

One extra thing I hadn't thought about on the 17", but the screen ergonomics get a touch nicer as the screen gets bigger since the center point (or at least a reasonable eye point) move up higher and away from the keyboard area. (less looking down)

That's probably yet another reason I was laptop only when I had a 17" in the past.

2. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    I genuinely hope that your right and Apple does sort out both it's hardware and software. My own professional experience is people are either holding on to older hardware and or switching to Windows as Apple simply has an inadequate line up.

Certainly the trend of exiting the platform exists, with my own observations only serving to reinforce, with the new MBP considered a joke in some circles nor is the price point the defining issue. I believe that many have waited too long for too little, as people don't generally make such radical changes to their workflow without considerable deliberation.

Personally I have not seen one of the nMBP utilised professionally, all I know who have tried the nMBP either returned or gifted the notebooks with some being ardent Apple evangelists. The bigger concern is these engineers, designers, creatives are not going to return easily, certainly not off the back of empty promises...

Q-6

3. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I think you’re right with this; the thing is the 17” is so hamstrung by it’s physical size that it’s really a desktop that you can take with you in a real pinch, not something that you’d buy if you were planning on moving around a lot. But then if you’re not planning on moving around a lot then buying a desktop and perhaps a 15” for the times you’re on the go is a better solution. Ergo few people opt for the more expensive 17” over an iMac with enough change left over to put towards a 15”. If they were going to sell it, they’d have to drastically reduce the price towards being comparable to a similarly powered iMac so the portable-in-a-pinch element and the convenience of having only one machine to keep files synched to comes into play. Realistically that isn’t going to happen so it’s a non starter.

4. Mr. Dee macrumors 68010

Mr. Dee

I remember in January 2007 when I saw a guy with a broken leg using his PowerBook 17 inch in the terminal at the airport. At the time, it seemed unbelievably huge. He sure seem to enjoy it though.

5. hajime macrumors 603

The MBP 2010 17" is a bit heavy. With current technologies, is it possible to make a 17" MBP of about 1.5kg or less? I think the LCD alone is quite heavy.

Having used two different rMBP 15", 15" at retina resolution is good enough for me. If they are going to make a 17" version again, it would be better to have a higher resolution than retina resolution.

6. dblissmn macrumors 6502

Absolutely not; I always thought the 17 inch ones were too big and the increased resolution of the Retina display made the whole idea completely redundant for me. I can see it being useful for people who do a lot of presentations to small groups, or people who DJ things like raves or circuit parties or perform live music; in other words, situations where you need screen space that you can bring with you and an extra pound of computer isn't a dealbreaker. But with Retina 15, that's pretty few people.

One thing that might change the game would be if Apple decided to offer features that simply don't fit the case of a 15 -- let's say very high powered graphics processors for video games or movie editing, or dual SSD drives, or something like that.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Like ports!
    Or say a keyboard with more travel and feel to the key stroke.
    :)

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

For me no. I’m not a power user so I have a couple iMacs at home and a 12” MacBook and an 11” MBA for my daughter when we travel.

9. PortableLover, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

PortableLover macrumors 6502a

If apple releases a 17 inch, they need to make sure it has much more powerful components. Vega mobile or something gtx 1080 max q if they could go nvidia. ECC ram with one of the mobile xeons. Make it into a mobile workstation.

4k display a true 10 bit panel. This is akin to some of dell and HPs mobile workstations. I doubt we would see the upgradability options though. I'd really love a more powerful macbook pro in apples lineup.

10. hajime macrumors 603

11. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

No, I had one during law school, and it was just too much to carry around! And if I’m at home, I can just use an external monitor.

12. RandomDSdevel macrumors member

I've wanted a 17-inch laptop from Apple since I was still a young lad in the PowerBook days. Now that I've been old enough to have been accruing disposable income for a little while, I'd pounce Apple's web site and buy a 17-inch MacBook Pro in a heartbeat if it released one. Since I have low vision, I've always considered 15 inches ever so slightly too small of a screen size for my liking/comfort. Beyond that, having the extra screen real estate would likely end up being really helpful for software-development workflows. It might take a little while longer for me to save up for it than I'd like, though, since I'd probably go overkill and obscenely future-proof myself by splurging for top specs. (Pats external–drive–booted family mid-2007 aluminum 24" iMac on its metaphorical head. Hang in there, girl, you and OS X 10.11.6 'El Capitan' still have some life left in you yet… — yes, I know I've been spoiled a bit by having a Mac last and be supported for so long.)

13. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

It’s a shame they didn’t end up doing the 12-14-16 screen sizes some had suggested just before the 2016 redesign, a compact 16” would probably be the best of both worlds between a 15 and 17!

14. mic j macrumors 68030

I've had a 17" since 2010. Loved it!! Upgraded it with more ram, moved the HDD to the CD slot and replaced it with 256GB SSD. It was working just fine and snappy too with the SSD. Unfortunately Apple chose to not let me update the OS anymore. Held on to it as long as I could, hoping beyond hope that they might come out with a new 17" at some point. Just couldn't wait any longer as some of the apps I use were no longer compatible with El Capitan. So...I bought the 15". It's ok...it works. But I really really wish I could have gotten another 17"er.

I have the 17" MBP sitting around, doing nothing. Just haven't been able to make myself take it in for recycling. Sad.

15. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

I live in Silicon Valley and I can tell you that it is very well adopted here.

16. jerry70450 macrumors member

haha apple won't put nvidia stuff in their computers. maybe vega with freesync xD
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2018 ---
    Depends what's 'comfortable'. the current keyboard is pretty comfortable for me, just not reliable.
    or vega with freesync cuz apple will never put nvidia gpus in their computers.
    Honestly they probably could. If they get rid of the bezels on the 15 inch, they can probably squish in a 17 inch display.
    haha good one. another nvidia gpu comment
    haha

17. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

I want apple to build a 4k OLED display with a GTX 1000 cards build in it. I don't mind if it is thicker than others. So, I can plug my 13 mbp with my TB3 cable and use it as desktop. And bring my MBP to work when I needed.

18. hajime macrumors 603

I am using the same computer. Just updated to High Sierra!

19. jerry70450 macrumors member

Does your keyboard have symbols above control, alt and command or does it just say alt on top of option and nothing for control?

20. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Not sure who you're asking (or why), but my Early-2011-US has the latter.

21. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    No doubt as Apple are certainly selling in volume, equally I can only go on my observations.

Q-6

22. mic j macrumors 68030

You have an early 2009 model? That's what I have but I bought it as a refurb in 2010. I think Apple nixed the update for the 2009 model. If I'm wrong...please let me know!!

23. jerry70450 macrumors member

The former is a 2016 mbp keyboard. The latter is a 2017 improves mbp keyboard.

24. cardfan macrumors 68000

Yep I would. Apple is nuts for not making one.

25. hajime macrumors 603

Mine is 2010 model. Sorry if I misunderstood you.