Would you buy a new 17" MacBook Pro if Apple made one?

Would you buy a new 17" MacBook Pro if Apple made one?

• Total voters

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Id rather just have something like a 16.4 inch screen in the current MBP 15 size, with the display extended edge to edge. They can easily add another inch in screen size in the current body and still have space for FaceTime camera etc.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

hotmetal

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
London
Just curious if you considered an iPad Pro as second screen. I hear that certain software like Duet Display does a pretty good job and let you use it's drawing features with your Mac. No experience with it, but am thinking about getting Duet Display Pro myself.
Hey Jerry, thanks for the heads up man. I never knew you could do that! I have an iPad 4th gen 9.7" (lightning connector, iOS 10.3). Hopefully this will also work. OK so it's not going to be as big but for the cost of the Duet app (currently ten pictures of Her Majesty) it has to be worth a try. It will certainly help me decide whether a second 15" screen is gonna be worth the outlay. The larger iPad pro would be awesome but have you seen how much they are?! Thank you for your advice. If this is going to work with my old iPad I'll be well chuffed for a tenner!

Update: yep! I'm pleased. 2017 15" MBP running High Sierra, iPad gen 4 9.7" iOS 10.3.3, connected with lightning cable via a USB-C to A hub and all is well. Duet Display has been recently updated for High Sierra. Ok the extra screen is only half the size of the main laptop screen but it may be enough for palettes, Finder windows or copy docs. Result for £10 and an extra way to get use from the old ipad.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2007
Since 2010, have the LCD panels been improved to the point that for a 17" screen, the weight has been reduced by at least 30%?

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I've been using my old 2010 17" anti-glare again and I forgot how nice it is having such a big display on a laptop. I'd love to have a newer one, but I'm in the butterfly-keyboard-hate camp.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Since 2010, have the LCD panels been improved to the point that for a 17" screen, the weight has been reduced by at least 30%?
If they were going for a no holds barred top of the line model they could go OLED which isn't several discrete layers bonded into one but effectively a single flexible sheet of plastic with small diodes 3d printed onto it - that would certainly be thinner and lighter!

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Wishful thinking. Apple is having trouble making a decent laptop at any size in my opinion. :mad:
Nevertheless, in the very unlikely event it does happen then no.

My next route will be a desktop hackintosh for power use and the cheapest Apple laptop I can find for portability. Intel's offerings are improving to the point that even their low voltage options pack a bite.