Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Yes, if there were other tradeoffs that made it worthwhile:

• Price
  • Battery Life
  • Weight
  • Heat
I would actually be interested in a cheaper 15" rMBP with a dual core ULV CPU, like the 28W models that are likely for the 13" rMBP. I don't need quad core or a dGPU but would love the larger screen size.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Yes, if there were other tradeoffs that made it worthwhile:

• Price
  • Battery Life
  • Weight
  • Heat
I would actually be interested in a cheaper 15" rMBP with a dual core ULV CPU, like the 28W models that are likely for the 13" rMBP. I don't need quad core or a dGPU but would love the larger screen size.

I'm with you. While I think I still prefer the 13-inch form factor, a less expensive 15-inch model would be nice.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
  • Price
  • Battery Life
  • Weight
  • Heat

Ooh, good thinking with “heat”. That is important. I would not count on “weight” though, because the space currently taken up by the dGPU will most likely be filled with extra battery, which is probably even heavier.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Absolutely not. While that would work for my wife, when I upgrade to the rMBP-15, I'll need it to be able to drive 2 ATDs and play the occasional game or two at good frame rates. I will welcome a move to iGPUs only when they are truly on par with good dGPUs, until then the MBPs need a dGPU.

___

Tarrou8

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
I would absolutely consider it for the 15" if the Iris Pro is up to snuff, and the lack of a dGPU leads to marked increases in power savings and increased battery life via Haswell. If the price point is ~$200 less than the base dGPU model, it would be highly enticing.

Macforcollege

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
quick question, how does not having a dedicated gpu affect multi-monitor displays if i get the new haswell 15 inch.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
quick question, how does not having a dedicated gpu affect multi-monitor displays if i get the new haswell 15 inch.

It should still do just fine. The Iris Pro GPU in the new Haswell chips is very powerful for an integrated GPU. In most games it performs slightly worse but for general usage and multiple monitors it should be fine.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

You lose more system RAM than the old rMBP 15" with dedicated GPU, because the new Haswell 15-inch needs to share memory with the internal GPU.

The old rMBP 15" forces the dedicated GPU to be on whenever an external display is connected, so system RAM is free for other things.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
They stick not one but two dedicated graphics cards in the Mac Pro and people are worried the MacBook Pro won't get a Dedicated GPU at all? Come on guys, this Iris Pro thing is either the Non-Retina MacBook Pro or the lower end Retina.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
They stick not one but two dedicated graphics cards in the Mac Pro and people are worried the MacBook Pro won't get a Dedicated GPU at all? Come on guys, this Iris Pro thing is either the Non-Retina MacBook Pro or the lower end Retina.

Nope.

The benchmarked machine was running the top-end CPU with Iris Pro. It's not for a lower-end Retina.

And non-Retina MacBook Pro are on their way out. It makes no sense for Apple to keep them around considering their sales would be cannibalized by the Retina line.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Nope.

The benchmarked machine was running the top-end CPU with Iris Pro. It's not for a lower-end Retina.

And non-Retina MacBook Pro are on their way out. It makes no sense for Apple to keep them around considering their sales would be cannibalized by the Retina line.

Sorry but you can't just say "Nope" like it is a fact. That is just your opinion which I disagree with.

As you just said this is the top-end CPU with Iris Pro There are plenty of higher clocked Haswell CPU's for Mobile which do not include Iris Pro and Apple are much more likely to use one of those (which cost less than the 2.4GHz Haswell w/ Iris Pro I might add) and then include a dedicated card.

What we are looking at is the low end machine and there is no doubt in my mind on that. This integrated graphics cannot compete with a dedicated card in any universe and Apple cannot charge the premiums they do without a dedi, simple as that.

Everyone is working on assumptions here, assuming on the prices of chips, we don't know what deal Apple has with NVIDIA we don't know how much they bought 650m's for we don't know how much of a volume discount they get from Intel. Everyone is saying the 2.4GHz Iris Pro costs the same as a conventional i7 + 650m and they base that information on nothing but conjecture by websites who don't actually know how much Apple pays for them.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Sorry but you can't just say "Nope" like it is a fact. That is just your opinion which I disagree with.

As you just said this is the top-end CPU with Iris Pro There are plenty of higher clocked Haswell CPU's for Mobile which do not include Iris Pro and Apple are much more likely to use one of those (which cost less than the 2.4GHz Haswell w/ Iris Pro I might add) and then include a dedicated card.

What we are looking at is the low end machine and there is no doubt in my mind on that. This integrated graphics cannot compete with a dedicated card in any universe and Apple cannot charge the premiums they do without a dedi, simple as that.

The 4950HQ is a high end CPU. A low end model would come with 4750HQ.

We will find out eventually, until then everything is speculation. But I wouldn't be completely surprised if there is no dGPU in any of the 15'' machines.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010

Everyone is working on assumptions here, assuming on the prices of chips, we don't know what deal Apple has with NVIDIA we don't know how much they bought 650m's for we don't know how much of a volume discount they get from Intel. Everyone is saying the 2.4GHz Iris Pro costs the same as a conventional i7 + 650m and they base that information on nothing but conjecture by websites who don't actually know how much Apple pays for them.

I don't know of any ultra books with a dedicated gpu under $2000. Asus has one with a low powered gpu but has a terrible screen and abysmal battery life.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The 4950HQ is a high end CPU. A low end model would come with 4750HQ.

We will find out eventually, until then everything is speculation. But I wouldn't be completely surprised if there is no dGPU in any of the 15'' machines.

What makes the 4950HQ high-end? Because they charge $600+ for it or because it has a high model number? It is a 2.4GHz CPU - Intel sell 2.8GHz ones that are faster than this. The only reason Intel is charging so much and given it a high number is because the yield on those Iris Pro graphic parts are obviously too low to make it the mainstream part it should be.

Technically every Core i7 Haswell CPU should have the Iris Pro graphics enabled. These processors the 2.4GHz ones aren't high end CPU's where it matters, CPU performance.

I don't know of any ultra books with a dedicated gpu under $2000. Asus has one with a low powered gpu but has a terrible screen and abysmal battery life.

Indeed. And for us in the UK a maxed out MacBook Pro is over $4,000 - For that kind of money I will want a dedicated GPU in the new Haswell Retina MacBook Pro like we currently have in the current Ivy Bridge model.

There is more than enough money in these machines to include a dedicated card.

Last edited:

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
What makes it high-end? Because they charge $600+ for it or because it has a high number? It is a 2.4GHz CPU - Intel sell 2.8GHz ones that are faster than this. The only reason Intel is charging so much and given it a high number is because the yield on those Iris Pro graphic parts are obviously too low to make it the mainstream part it should be.

Technically every Core i7 Haswell CPU should have the Iris Pro graphics enabled. These processors the 2.4GHz ones aren't high end CPU's where it matters, CPU performance.

Indeed. And for us in the UK a maxed out MacBook Pro is over $4,000 - For that kind of money I want a dedicated GPU. I don't see a $4000 mac without dedicated graphics. The most powerful maxed out 13 inch is 3100 but you would expect that for the size of the ssd.

The macbook pro retina 15 does have a dedicated gpu.

Last edited:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The macbook pro retina 15 does have a dedicated gpu.

We are talking about the new Haswell Retina MacBook Pro, not the current one. I am fully aware the current model comes with a 650m as its dedicated graphics chip alongside the Intel integrated..

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
What makes it high-end? Because they charge $600+ for it or because it has a high number? It is a 2.4GHz CPU - Intel sell 2.8GHz ones that are faster than this. The only reason Intel is charging so much and given it a high number is because the yield on those Iris Pro graphic parts are obviously too low to make it the mainstream part it should be.

Indeed. And for us in the UK a maxed out MacBook Pro is over $4,000 - For that kind of money I want a dedicated GPU.

The macbook pro retina 15 does have a dedicated gpu. I see a 13 maxed out at $3100 but thats expected with a giant ssd like that.

----------

We are talking about the new Haswell Retina MacBook Pro, not the current one. I am fully aware the current model comes with a 650m as its dedicated graphics chip alongside the Intel integrated..

Oh so this is a what if? sorry

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I've edited my post to make it more clear I was talking about the next model.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Yep. Then again, I don't game. Well, maybe Quake Live once in a while, but that's based on a 10+ year old game. I can see why a dGPU would be useful for the people who need it though.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Any dGPU fans want the NVIDIA card from my 2009? Doubt I ever use that thing to its full potential. Not a gamer and I don't edit videos outside tinkering with iMovie once in a blue moon. So I suppose iGPU would be enough for my current uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.