Would You Buy An iPhone 5 If It Looked Like This?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by victorvu, Apr 23, 2011.

1. victorvu macrumors member

[​IMG]
    By Sara Yin

You've seen rumors about when the fifth-generation iPhone is coming out, now check out a visualization (pictured) of what it will look like, based on the imagination and alleged sources of former Engadget editor-in-chief Joshua Topolsky.

In his interim blog This Is My Next, Topolsky says the next iPhone will look "radically" different from the iPhone 4. For one, it'll be even thinner than the iPhone 4, which isn't unfathomable thanks to a recent patent Apple obtained, and boast a "teardrop" shaped profile similar to the Macbook Air.

The home button area will expand to act as a gesture area to support gesturing features in a future iOS update, Topolsky writes. The display could go up to 3.7 inches (thus making the bezel almost disappear) without decreasing much in resolution, so Apple can still claim it uses Retina Display technology.

Topolsky also says he saw in a drawing that the iPhone will come with cable-free, touch charging, though his sources wouldn't confirm that.
    Lastly, echoing Verizon CFO Fran Shammo's slip about a "global device" next-generation iPhone, Topolsky says the next iPhone could be the first to use Qualcomm's dual GSM/CDMA Gobi chipset.

In recent weeks we've seen several publications claim that Apple has been forced to delay production of the next-generation iPhone until September or October, meaning we may not see a new iPhone in stores until 2012.

Meanwhile Forbes reported last month that Apple will enable mobile payments by embedding near-field communications technology in the fifth-generation iPhone. There's another batch of reports claiming the fifth-generation iPhone will come with an 8-megapixel camera supplied by Sony.

----

If the iPhone 5 is something like this, I'd definitely buy it, full prize or not :D

2. Rickity Rick macrumors member

3. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

No way, that is a shockingly horrid design, also ben commented on in another thread

4. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

That's way too thin and they just can't regress to the old shape =/

5. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

does everyone think the internal parts magically disappear in these teardrop designs? on top of looking like ass, having no room for battery or antenna, they're bound to be slippery as hell to hold onto and would rock like a cradle when laying on a table.

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

This would be the first iPhone I would not own since the first one. I don't like the thickness to thinness look, it's ugly. Also, if it's "like the back of the iPod touch" like some sources are saying, it would be scratched as soon as you took it out of the box. The iPod touch scratches way too easily, and I like going case-less on my devices.

7. svenn macrumors 6502

I think it's ugly, and apparently so do a lot of people. No way Apple would make something like that since they are all about aesthetics. BUT, if they did, it would sell. Just because it is an iphone.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The shape should have given it away right off the bat. I doubt Apple would ever make a phone that tapered like that. What if you wanted to use it in landscape mode? If you put it on a table, it would slant to one side. It would never work for ergonomics. Plus imagine watching a video like that...

This mock-up has gotten so much attention simply because it's so godawful ugly.

9. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Yeah that shape is far from functional. I know, it needs a kickstand... :p

10. Coasterfanryan macrumors regular

No way José!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That image has been around since the pre-3G days, not only would the internals not fit, it's ugly as well.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

13. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

14. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Nothing is attractive about that tear drop shape to me.

15. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i probably would.

the thing is, i thought the iPhone 4 design was crap the first time i saw it, but when you see it in person it is just a thing of beauty.

I have learnt not to judge things too much by pictures on the web.

16. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Yes, I agree.. it's UGLY.. and NOT apple like. Just another rumor...

17. twcbc macrumors member

18. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Definitely not. Apple would never make a phone that looks like that.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's no way that will ever pass - it doesn't even have a vibrate switch.

20. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I think it is quite lethal - you can stab someone with that, keeping the evidence with you.

21. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I don't like it but I LoL at all the people saying apple wouldn't make a phone that looked like that. These are the same people that were probably saying apple wouldn't make a phone that looked like the i4.

22. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I don't think so but you never know until you hold one in your hand.

23. grAntsOkO macrumors newbie

no

no. it looks to fragile. the iphone 4 was sturdy and felt good. why would they downgrade

24. ellelittle macrumors member

No, it looks like it would be awkward to hold.