iPad Would You Buy the "iPad Pro?"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by v0lume4, Nov 19, 2013.

1. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

As per the recent front page article, there's even more speculation as to whether we'll see a bigger iPad soon or not. Of course, I don't think Apple would JUST release a bigger iPad--including a Smart Cover the likes of the Surface's is plausible. That aside though, I feel that I'd have a harder time justifying buying a larger iPad rather than a smaller iPad, if I were coming from the 10" iPad. The mini's appeal isn't hard to figure out. Just like the 10" iPad's appeal is obvious, too. But with the iPad Pro, we start to get into laptop replacement territory. Your thoughts?

2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Isn't the appeal of a "laptop replacement" that the replacement is better and easier to use? I just can't see myself lugging around a 13" laptop and saying "this is WAY better than carrying my laptop!"

The only way this works is if Apple has some ridiculous iOS update in the works that will legitimately make the iPad a do-all device. If that's the case, why only do this for the 13" version?

3. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

I've wondered this myself. It doesn't seem like something I would want to use over a 10" but I bet you when we see it, and depending on what additional features it has, I bet we all get it. Hahaha.

4. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Size is looking to be in the Laptops territory. But thinking back to what Steve Jobs was saying at the original iPad launch..
    The tablet has to be as good, or better at some/all the things we do.

Whilst creating a 13" iPad seems like a good idea. Actual usability of the damn thing would be pretty difficult. So I just can't see it happening.

Unless the folks in Cupertino innovate some way for an iPad that big to be just as practical as a laptop. - Then I'm all for that!!

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If it has 2GB of RAM, 100% gamut! and a USB port, maybe. :cool:

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

My iPad Air is primarily for browsing the web on the sofa. So in that respect, no, an iPad Pro would be too big and unnecessary for me.

Maybe professional photographers would have a use for it though?

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

With what we know now, I'd say no. Would rather have the combo of a MBP and an iPad Air/mini. I am not a good candidate for a MacBook Air. The misses usually gets my hand-me-down MBP, but this might be viable for her.

It would have to have compelling new functionality though. Sticking iOS 7 on a 12" is not good enough. Heck iOS7 isn't built for the 9.7" iPad the way it is.

8. v0lume4 thread starter macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Agreed. I've never been one to complain about extra screen real-estate, but after a point, you start or actually change the usability of the device.

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Not if it's running Ios. How can it be used by professionals when it has NO FILE MANAGER? Maybe professional YouTube watchers or angry birds players may find it useful?

10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Apple tests many things that never get released, so perhaps this is just an experiment.

If they do release this as the Pro version then I'd expect most consumers would not buy it. However, for some artists, scientists, endpgineers and business people a larger tablet could be very useful.

What would this compete with? An iMac? A laptop, or a laptop connected to a monitor, or even a smaller iPad connected to an external monitor?

The advantage would be portability of the larger screen. I could see using one in the booth at a trade show. Or to show a portfolio of photos or a presentation to someone. Yes, you can do that with a laptop, but iOS is sometimes better.

11. iWeekend macrumors regular

What I would like is a 13" laptop that will do "work" (file manager, keyboard, USB/TB etc) by day and by removing the screen portion, do "play" (read, surf, games) by night.

In other words, a dockable iPad. Bonus points if it uses TB to optionally tether so I can position screen for ergonomics.

--------------------------

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I won't consider any iPad a Pro unless there is a Pro version of iOS. Otherwise its just an iPad XL.

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Not for me. I'm happy with my 13" MacBook Air and my iPad Air.

14. v0lume4 thread starter macrumors 65816

v0lume4

There certainly is a market for it, albeit however small/big. I just hope they don't release a larger iPad just for the sake of releasing a larger iPad.

15. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

if it runs iOS in the form we know it I wouldn't buy it. Just bought a mini as my main content consumption device. If Apple could pull of some GOOD hybrid of touch and Pro hardware (a professional tablet which you could ouse for photoshop etc) than maybe it would be the successor to my (old) Macbook Pro. Imo the Surface Pro is an interesting device, however Microsoft didn't figure 2 things out:
    1. how to make it lighter so you could use it as a REAL tablet and
    2. how to make a good Operating system ;)

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

100% of which color gamut? Rec. 709 or Rec. 2020 (probably a couple of generations away)? The 100% (human viewable) gamut is CIE 1931 and is not possible with current display technology.

17. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Those were petty much my thoughts when I read the rumor. I could see companies buying these for presentations or photographers/artists to show their work.

I recently saw a huge 20" Panasonic tablet in the news which reminded me of people carrying around those huge boomboxes for listening to music.

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Absolutely not. My rMBP, 5s, and rMini suit me just fine.

19. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Don't know now

Turns out my second iPad Air was a dud too: speakers sound like people talking in tin cans - (the home + on/off restart trick did not fix it.)

Ah well.

This clouds my earlier comments in the iPad Pro early 2014 thread, while I said I would wait there - that is only if Apple gets it's Quality Control up to snuff and then some.

No post PC me yet.

Disappointed, but grateful I have a phone and an iMac that work great.

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

21. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Nope, even the regular sized iPad seems large now. I've become a Mini guy.

22. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

No if it runs iOS7 or anything that looks like iOS7

23. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

24. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

No a chance. Almost want to return my air and pick up a 11inch air.

iPad needs a more powerful os. In my eyes. iOS is great on the mini and iPhone

25. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I can get a 13" 3 lb laptop that I can carry around that can do/store more. A tablet (for me) is a replacement for my phone, not my computer.