Would you feel comfortable buying a new MBP today?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anaudiopro, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Would you buy a 2018 MBP today?

1. No

202 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Yes

121 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

I have to ask because of all the garbage I’m reading on MR about the ‘18 MBPs like keyboard issues, thermal issues, screen flickering, flexgate etc. etc. The list is a little alarming to say the least. So would you feel comfortable buying a new MBP today?

2. jerryk macrumors 601

I am fine with my 2018 15" MBP. No keyboard, thermal, screen flickering, flexgate, T2 crashes, audio dropouts, etc issues.

And, as far as I know flexgate issues do not occur with the 2018 because of the different display cable.

I use mine for programming (primarily ML), audio recording via USB interfaces, editing video presentations, and giving presentations.

3. anaudiopro thread starter macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

Thank you! Which model did you get?

4. jerryk macrumors 601

I got the standard 2018 15 with 16 GB of ram, 2.6 Ghz 17, Radeon 560x, 512 GB SSD.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

"anaudiopro". Are you aware of the audio popping issue too?

I wouldn't buy one unless I was desperate, I would wait for the newer models to see if those resolve the issues.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for the high price they're charging. I took a chance this past summer, and while my laptop was seemingly defect free, I didn't think it had the durability that I would expect from a nearly 3,000 dollar computer. So instead of sitting on pins and needles, waiting to see of the keyboard would fail. I sold it and got something that feels more robust and has a better build quality - all for a lot less to boot.

I don't see myself going back to the Mac, With Tim Cook at the helm and his supply chain mentality they pinch pennies and cut corners to a degree that has affected the quality and durability.

7. jerryk macrumors 601

Good point. My audio setup is simple. More like you would have in a podcast/Voice-Over scenario. The chains I use are:
    • Mac - Onyx Blackjack - DBX 286s - Shure SM7b(s)
    • Mac - Audient ID14 - DBX 286s - Sennheiser 416
    All cables are Mogami. UPS used for power to clean/remove any power spikes.

DAW is Adobe Audition

No pops or crackle detected in recordings.

8. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

if my 2015 mbp breaks today, im gonna go on ebay or swappa and find another 2015 mbp, i just cant deal with that butterfly keyboard, its just not for me. i type around 80wpm and when i have to use my touchbar mbp it drops down to like 50 to 60,

that said me personally i not too worry about the t2, flexgate, if i find a really good deal on 2018, i wouldnt mind compromising myself and use an external keyboard.

9. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I can agree with that. I could understand some cost cutting if they were trying to keep the Macs at a competitive price point, but I thought the whole point of paying the premium is there will be little if any compromises or cost cutting.

10. anaudiopro thread starter macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

According to RME, Apple has fixed this in 10.14.4 which is about to release.

11. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

i think you mean increase profit margin point. in no way are macs competitively priced in any generation.

12. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Yeah I read that too. I'm always skeptical of fixes that are "about to arrive" - there's just no way that I would believe that untilI hear it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2019 ---
    I should add - I have a MBPro already, a 2015. So my situation is probably different to yours. As I said above, I would wait if I could.

I also don't believe that ALL MBPros are affected by ALL of these issues either. It's just that the odds are too high for my comfort right now. There are certainly plenty of people who are happy with their 2018s though. I think it's almost a great laptop. Close, but not close enough IMO.

13. jeyf macrumors 65816

14. anaudiopro thread starter macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

Understood. I trust that what the peeps at RME are saying is true though. They are good people. They say beta 5 of 10.14.4 fixed all the audio dropout issues. Here’s to raising a glass if true. That’s one step in the right direction for Apple.

15. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Agreed 100%. Well, you know, 99%.

16. anaudiopro thread starter macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

I do miss Steve. Apple have always been a bit hardheaded as a company, but they sure do seem a whole lot more that way now huh?

17. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    No, spec I would personally need is $4,250 plus local taxes and I'd likely be looking at a pair. I simply expect far more at this price point. Apple today seems to be far more a company of excuses than one of action. This keyboard debacle is now well beyond a joke, let alone the poor ergonomics and reduced usability of the MBP.

Both personally and professionally ceased dealing with Apple as it clearly values impressing the kiddies over it's professional users, good luck with selling them $4K - $5K notebooks...

Q-6

18. jerryk macrumors 601

Steve was an Apple controls everything and knows better than you guy. His presence is seen in things like soldered on memory and SSDs, glued down batteries, and riveted keyboard. Remember, he though the App Store for the iPhone was a terrible idea because Apple would not be writing all the apps.

To his credit, this attitude also lead to Apple developing it own processors, and may soon end Apple's dependence on Intel and AMD.

19. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

apple products are a fantastic value if you buy them used with warranty still left over :D

20. anaudiopro thread starter macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

The thing I miss about Steve is his perfectionism. I understand stuff happened under him, but I don’t think he would tolerate what has been happening as of late with QC and design decisions. I think heads would roll.

21. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

Nope, not me. I'll let others pay premium prices (plus the added expense of extended warranty) & assume the risk of Apple's sliding dependability. More power to y'all. I need to see Apple turn things around in a major way these next few months for me to stick w/ them. IOW, I'll likely migrate to Windows/Android next year.

22. Msullivan91 macrumors newbie

Agreed I love apple but the product quality has suffered while the price has increased. Not good.

23. jerryk macrumors 601

I understand what you mean. But do you remember him telling us we were holding our iPhone 4's wrong during AntennaGate? And then when the outcry finally got loud enough, placating people by giving a away free bumpers that probably costs Apple a few cents, rather than replacing the phone with a permanent fix of a redesigned antenna system.

24. anaudiopro thread starter macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

How could anyone forget that lol. Yep, that was some embarrassing crap on the part of Apple. I just feel if Steve we’re still at the helm that their computer line would be a bigger focus, seeing as that was his baby. I could be very wrong.

25. lwilliams macrumors 6502

lwilliams

I upgrade from my 2012 MBP to a new one last month. I got the MBP 15", 512gb, 16GB RAM.

NOT ONE SINGLE ISSUE. I use this MBP about 10 - 12 hours every single day. Mon - Sun.