Would you give up AT&T's unlimited plan for T-mobile's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hatersgonnahate, Jan 3, 2014.

1. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about it. sucks getting throttled down after 5 GB in AT&T's plan. ive been a AT&T/Cingular customer for more than 10 years now, i think it's time to move on. What would you do if you were in my situation?

im in los angeles so coverage is pretty much the same.

2. m3nphls macrumors member

Just pray that you don't need data once you start traveling around the states. Otherwise, the switch is smart move. I'm in the military and we go training to different places within the states and fellow soldiers that have T-Mobile always have to use my Verizon i5 hotspot, I get LTE everywhere.

3. mpantone macrumors 6502

Coverage won't be the same, even in large metropolitan areas. T-Mobile USA simple has fewer cellular towers than AT&T, fewer LTE transmitters, and more coverage gaps. I see it all the time in the Greater SF Bay Area.

And forget coverage maps, they aren't detailed enough to show specific coverage gaps.

The first thing to do in selecting a cellular service is to identify which carriers best service the places you frequent the most (home, work, maybe school). For the latter two, ask the company or school IT department; they will definitely know. At home? Well, invite some friends over, then query them about cellular reception on various services from your house. You don't want to guess, just be methodical.

Once you understand the pros and cons of each service's coverage in the places you frequent the most, you have a better chance of making an informed decision about which provider to use.

I did the research myself, and decided to compromise and use a service with spottier and slower coverage, mostly because it still works adequately in my primary usage locations, plus the price was right. My coverage may be rather spotty when I travel, but I mostly visit metropolitan areas, so that's less of an issue.

(Disclaimer: I have used both AT&T and T-Mobile USA prepaid services as well as some prepaid MVNOs which connect to those two services' cellular towers. I am currently a T-Mobile USA prepaid user.)

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I have Verizon and like it..but if you don't travel a lot then, go with what ever is the cheapest and works in that area.

ATT does not work too well in my area.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you don't travel to rural areas often then go with Tmobile. I see no reason for anyone to stay with AT&T if they are in an area with good Tmobile coverage. I have unlimited data and enjoy using my Iphone without counting data or being afraid to use certain apps or functions of the device.

Being cheaper is just an added bonus.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

If you have similar coverage then go for Tmobile. there is no throttling, and you still get 2.5GB of mobile hotspot allowance.

Also the free intl roaming helps. Everyone thinks its useless cuz its EDGE speed, but that's because EDGE speed in the US is inherently useless. You get 3G service, its just throttled down to EDGE speed, so if you can remember the original iPhone days and using data, its still usable for basic twitter, facebook, and iMessage.

Useful for day-trips across the border, etc. Also the free texting internationally (to US numbers) is a plus, so u can stay in touch with all ur friends with no penalty.

If you want, just try out the $30 prepaid 5GB data plan to test coverage before you make the actual switch.

8. blarivee macrumors 6502

Personally I wouldn't give up the unlimited data plan with AT&T. While T-Mobile does not currently throttle unlimited data plans, they may decide to do so in the future when their network is at capacity. Or they may force you into a new plan like what they are currently doing with people on grandfathered plans.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/15/t-mobile-grandfathered-plans-transition/

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would definitely not give up my AT&T unlimited.

10. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

people being forced into a new plan are getting better plans and are paying less; if tmobile decides to force us into new plans in the future undoubtedly they will be an incentive to do so.

for example the old tmobile "unlimited" plan throttled you after 5gb; the new one doesn't.

11. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

How much are you paying for it through AT&T? Are you in an area with decent T-Mo coverage?

I'm in Scranton PA and travel to New Jersey occasionally. There is a stretch on I-81 where I'm on EDGE but I have full LTE pretty much everywhere in the city (and 4G elsewhere, but I don't know the difference TBH). If you have coverage, it's a no-brainer.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

how much are you going to save?
    you can always buy a higher capacity iphone and with slacker premium or spotify premium you can cache your music on your phone so you don't need a cellular connection to listen to it

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

T-Mobile is really a great deal compared to the current plans offered by AT&T and Verizon. However, I would not give up your unlimited plan with AT&T.

To date AT&T generally has a superior network and you get full LTE for any purpose up until 5GB at which point you *may* get throttled. Personally, I've made it well beyond that and my billing period ended without any throttling.

Also, some T-Mobile subscribers on unlimited data report throttling in *some* areas when they try to stream video or music. So, it appears that T-Mobile manages their network as well.

That being said, I'm jealous of T-Mobiles international roaming. It's simply amazing.

14. the caveman macrumors 6502

I am very tempted to give up my unlimited and move to tmobile. I usually get throttled at 5 gb but this month im at 6.5 an haven't been throttled yet.

15. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I don't have unlimited on AT&T and if T-Mobiles announcement next week is the rumor that they will pay your ETF to switch I will probably switch to T-Mobile.

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Where do you live?? If you live or travel through the rural west, T-mobile just does not exist, not even a cell signal, forget about EDGE.

17. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

It's true. The $350 thing is for a family of three but they will absolutely give you a sizable credit toward yours. It's already happening if you ask about it and have the right person, they did it for me two days ago.

18. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Would I be able to bring my current iPhone over then or would I have to buy a new one through T-Mobile. If it's the latter that kind of sucks because then I have to pay $200 for another 5S and an extra $27 a month

19. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Brought mine over from Verizon no problem.

20. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

And T- Mobile paid your ETF? Verizon iPhones come unlocked on the GSM side. If I switched to T-mobile I would need AT&T to unlock my phone.

21. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

They didn't pay it entirely, and the amount they'll chip in is related to your credit score and bill-paying history. But it was enough to make it an attractive switch.

Bear in mind I didn't have unlimited data on VZW, so that made a big difference in my decision.

22. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

How did you get them to help pay your ETF? I thought this was something they would be announcing next week as their uncarrier 4.0?

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I have never heard of anyone in SoCal that has had a decent experience with either carrier. Most everyone has Verizon.

My dad had AT&T for a short time (June 2009 to April 2011) never liked it. Needed the Micro-Cell to make and receive phone calls. I always stuck with VZW. Of course when the iPhone came to Verizon, I jumped on that quicker then anyone could say "Sayonara AT&T!".

24. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Simply put, I asked. I said "I hear you guys are doing that. When is it happening?" He told me it was going to start around the 13th or something, I told him to give me his card and I'd come back when they did that. He said to wait up and called his boss on the phone about it and 10 minutes later I was good to go.

25. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor